Tattoo Coverup/Concealer Help

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

Tattoo Coverup/Concealer Help

Hi,
    This is my first post here. I was not quite sure where to post my question. Since it may need the help of a makeup professional, I thought I would start here.
    I will be getting married in the early summer. My gown is strapless. I have a tattoo on my upper arm and would like to cover it for the wedding.
    I tried to do a search before posting but got no results.
    Can anyone suggest a makeup artist or product for tattoo cover?
    Really would prefer a professional but willing to try a product that has proven effective (i.e. does not wear off, blends well, etc).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Tattoo Coverup/Concealer Help

Pinkkittie, where are you, oh great goddess of cosmetics? 

Your question will be answered soon...please hold for PK. :)

Congratulations on your engagement!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I just read somewhere this might help:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

Kargiver-ty holding for PK
    Plasko-ty for the link

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If she doesn't get to you this weekend, I'm betting she'll be here Monday.  She used to work at Sephora and is very knowledgeable.  I never would have guessed how much training they require for their staff!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

kargiver,
    Does she do makeup for weddings professionally? I'll be watching the board for her post. thanks again

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, sorry, she doesn't do makeup professionally, she used to sell makeup at Sephora and is VERY knowledgeable about such things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

We just WISH she were available as a pro for all of us.  :)  She is very wise!  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Hey all, I think I can help you. As a pro MUA, I have tried many products for tattoo cover and I keep going back to Dermablend. Deermablend is one of the best for tattoo coverings because it has a setting powder made up of rice powder that will set the makeup so it will not come off on the clothing, or even rub off at all. There are alot of products out there will will cover tattoos, such as Airflash foundation spray from Dior, but coverage is not the complete concern here.  When dancing, sweating and movement can cause makeup to wear off and break down due to sweat or or friction, the Dermablend consistantly holds up and does the best job.  You will need the cover cream and then you will need to also purchase the setting powder. Well worth it! For places that have it for sale, I know that Macy's carries it and you may find it at Ulta or Sephora, but definatley Macy's. Good luck!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

Dani273,
    Thank you so much for the great information. I have looked at the Dermablend product line on the web among many others. I usually do not wear any or very little makeup. I am concerned about applying it properly if I do purchase. I hope I will be able to find someone (professional) who is available for my wedding date. Still may have to buy a product that works for the MUA to use-not sure??
    Thanks again!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

The best way to apply the dermablend is with a concealer brush to spread it evenly on the area of concern. Then, dab a little more on with your finger over the same spot, tapping it lightly to build coverage. Tap, do not rub or wipe, aas that tends to actually take it off. Tapping it will layer the coverage and make it blend easier. Then with a full soft brush or cotton ball, sweep the setting powder over it and blend over the edges so it covers and blends into the skin.  There is usually 2 people in each Macy's department that is well trained with the Dermablend products. They should be able to tell you and show you how to apply it. It's easy, you can do it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've never tried Dermablend. I've tried several other concealers that were designed to cover tattoos and I never found anything to be very good at covering the black. Any that actually covered the tattoo just ended up looking like a blotch or scar of some sort.

I always advised people that unless the tattoo was illicit in any way, to just let it be seen. it is, after all, a permanent part of you. you will be surrounded by your nearest and dearest, hopefully they all love and accept you just as you are, no concealers necessary.

If you want to cover it up because you're going to be in a church, get a bolero or capelet for the ceremony.

If you simply no longer like your tattoo, I would advise that you fade it with Wrecking Balm, as seen in the link above. It may not completely get rid of it, but it will be much easier to cover when faded.
    You can also have it covered up with another tattoo, there are artists that specialize in that. However, Wrecking Balm is much cheaper than a new tattoo.

if you do decide to purchase Dermablend, any MUA should be able to apply it. It's no different than other makeups, it just has a highly concentrated pigment.

***ETA*** if you do decide to use makeup on your arms to cover the tattoo, you MUST remove ALL of your upper arm hair on BOTH arms. Waxing is preferable, but shaving with a new blade will do. This will help the makeup look less conspicuous and will make it MUCH easier to apply.

If you have any reservations about looking bridal with a tatto, you can see plenty of lovely inked brides over at www.offbeatbride.com
    still elegant, still classic, and still beautiful, tattoos and all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Tattoo Coverup/Concealer Help:
    [QUOTE]We just WISH she were available as a pro for all of us.  :)  She is very wise!  
    Posted by Rirlo01[/QUOTE]

you all are just too sweet!
    Kiss
    My knowledge is free for the taking. I didn't pay to get it, so why would I charge anyone for it? If I had paid for cosmetology school, I might feel differently!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

Thanks PinkKittie27 for all the information and honesty.
    Although, for my wedding day at least, I feel more comfortable having my tattoo covered up.
    I think I may give the Dermablend a try. Let the Macy MUA's show me how to apply it, etc.
    I will make sure to shave prior to my visit to Macy's-glad you shared that tip as well PinkKittie27.
    If it ends up looking bad/obvious I will leave it alone.
    Love this message board!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

best of luck! hope it all works out!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I just thought of a product I can recommend for this, at least part of the process.  This finishing spray really works; keeps makeup fresh and smear free.  HOWEVER, it has a distinctive, albeit pleasant, scent.  It will interfere with any perfume you are wearing, imo.  You also need makeup remover to get it off in good shape.

Model in a Bottle

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BestYet11. Show BestYet11's posts

TY kargiver!

Sections
Shortcuts