The Bride and Groom Cook the Reception Meals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

The Bride and Groom Cook the Reception Meals

It might start a new trend,but it would be a wonderful beginning for both the bride and groom if they cooked the wedding reception meals.
    First, it would insure they would have some practice in the culinary arts.
    Second, it would insure they would not create too large a wedding.
    Third, it would certainly help the parents,and reflect back on their child rearing practices.
    Fourth,it would let them get some useful advice from the other cooks in the family who have had to cook for the past 30,40,or 50 years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: The Bride and Groom Cook the Reception Meals

It will also likely be the surest way to admit them both to the nuthouse.  I cannot imagine the stress of cooking a meal for even a group of 20-30 people AND also  getting gussied up for a church wedding and photos.  There are plenty of ways to cut costs w/o having the bride and groom go nuts.  A cookout or family meal after the honeymoon sounds like a better plan.

If people want to pass along family recipes to the bride and groom, that sounds like a perfect shower or wedding gift.  But cooking a meal for both families on your wedding day?  There is no surer way to entice a couple to elope. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

I don't see how that would work.  Unless there was time between the ceremony and reception, but even then you're already dressed up and ready to party. I don't see how time would allow for that, plus the stress.  Cooking a Thanksgiving meal for 10 is stressful enough, I can't imagine for an entire reception.

I do like the idea of cooking for a family gathering after the honeymoon.  And the family recipes as a shower gift - I hope I get something like that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tarheel is just stirring the pot.  He tried to get everyone to save money by ditching the entire wedding and going to the courthouse.  Happily, no one bothered to respond to that one.

Congrats on getting a couple of bites here (no pun intended).

P.S.  The sarcastic court house one is in Venues.  I didn't give it the honor of a response.  Would have ignored this one, too, but it didn't slide into oblivion fast enough.

P.S.S.  Now, of course, his fun will be watching the argument ensue over his intentions.  Unless we all just ignore him.  Please.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

ahhhhhhhh!  Should have done my research, thanks for the heads up!

However, I do like Alf's family recipe idea...I think I am going to put a bug in my mom's ear on that one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

This gave me a nice long chuckle.

I've been to weddings where the bride and groom's family collaborated to cook the reception meals. I've never heard of a wedding where the bride and groom tried to undertake such a daunting task. I have heard stories of brides trying to bake their own wedding cakes, none of those stories had happy endings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]ahhhhhhhh!  Should have done my research, thanks for the heads up! However, I do like Alf's family recipe idea...I think I am going to put a bug in my mom's ear on that one.
    Posted by dbilodeau[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's a great idea!  You get the best of the family's recipes so you have some great dinner and entertaining ideas right off the bat.  It takes time to find and hone your own favorites, and it's special to bake your great-grandmother's signature cookies, for instance - she could have gotten them from her great-grandmother.  'Course they used real lard. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]This gave me a nice long chuckle. I've been to weddings where the bride and groom's family collaborated to cook the reception meals. I've never heard of a wedding where the bride and groom tried to undertake such a daunting task. I have heard stories of brides trying to bake their own wedding cakes, none of those stories had happy endings.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

Pinkie, I LOVE your new avatar!  Pink leopard spots, so cool.  Your other one kinda scared me.  ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

yeah, I got to thinking Kuromi looked too evil in that picture, which she really isn't, and I'm pretty sure I'm not ;)

[QUOTE]Pinkie, I LOVE your new avatar!  Pink leopard spots, so cool.  Your other one kinda scared me.  ;)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, I got to thinking Kuromi looked too evil in that picture, which she really isn't, and I'm pretty sure I'm not ;)
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

LOL, I'm pretty sure, too!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Sigh.  I feel dumb for falling for it.  I thought it sounded a bit out there.

I hosted Thanksgiving after our wedding [about 6 months later] and had a hard enough time trying to cook all that food for about 10 people. I can't imagine doing that on your wedding day in nice clothing.  Where would you find a kitchen or fridge big enough for all that food anyway, if you were doing anything other than serving cold cuts or having a BBQ? 

Thanksgiving was fun though.  Cooking a turkey is relatively easy, and I got to use all the nice new china and linens that we got for our wedding. :-) 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Yeah, in our little 1bed apartment, DH and I can't really cook for more than 6, and we'd still have to buy most of that food the day of so that we wouldn't have to squeeze into our no-full-sized-fridge!

[QUOTE]Sigh.  I feel dumb for falling for it.  I thought it sounded a bit out there. I hosted Thanksgiving after our wedding [about 6 months later] and had a hard enough time trying to cook all that food for about 10 people. I can't imagine doing that on your wedding day in nice clothing.  Where would you find a kitchen or fridge big enough for all that food anyway, if you were doing anything other than serving cold cuts or having a BBQ?  Thanksgiving was fun though.  Cooking a turkey is relatively easy, and I got to use all the nice new china and linens that we got for our wedding. :-) 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Sigh.  I feel dumb for falling for it.  I thought it sounded a bit out there. I hosted Thanksgiving after our wedding [about 6 months later] and had a hard enough time trying to cook all that food for about 10 people. I can't imagine doing that on your wedding day in nice clothing.  Where would you find a kitchen or fridge big enough for all that food anyway, if you were doing anything other than serving cold cuts or having a BBQ?  Thanksgiving was fun though.  Cooking a turkey is relatively easy, and I got to use all the nice new china and linens that we got for our wedding. :-) 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad.  I would have fallen for this much less sarcastic sounding one if he hadn't started off with the VERY snarky, sarcastic Venue thread.  It tipped me off. 

I love cooking turkey dinners!  You can do so much ahead of time, and things like mashed potato are even better reheated.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Same here.  My fiance and I can have a dinner party, but people would have to hold the plates in their laps!  We barely have enough room to hold 6 - 8 people in our place sitting down.  Unless they're sitting on the floor... ugh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Same here.  My fiance and I can have a dinner party, but people would have to hold the plates in their laps!  We barely have enough room to hold 6 - 8 people in our place sitting down.  Unless they're sitting on the floor... ugh.
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

We just bought a dining room set that only seats 6 quite purposefully.  We do have another table we can use in addition, but we enjoy having one couple over at a time rather than a big party, usually. 

Is it new avatar day?  I loved your flowers, but the shoes are cute, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think I could get together a good meal for about 6 people.  Anything bigger... it would be a long day of cooking and preparing.  Plus, I always get nervous that making food in larger quantities doesn't always taste as good, I suppose. 

Ha, ha... I will change it back.  I was just playing...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I heartily recommend a fold-away table. DH and I keep one for the off-chance we ever do decide to have a dinner party. 99% of the time it exists as a side table just indside the door to catch keys, purses, mail and gloves, that other 1% of the time, it converts to seat 6 comfortably. The best part is, once you've got the linens on it, no one's the wiser ;)
    But 7 days a week DH and I eat off the coffee table!

[QUOTE]Same here.  My fiance and I can have a dinner party, but people would have to hold the plates in their laps!  We barely have enough room to hold 6 - 8 people in our place sitting down.  Unless they're sitting on the floor... ugh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

We should look into getting one of those tables.  Sounds like a good idea. 

I feel bad always making sure not to serve anything that needs a fork AND knife.  If you don't need a knife, you could at least hold the plate with your other hand... while it's on your lap!  HA!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I think I could get together a good meal for about 6 people.  Anything bigger... it would be a long day of cooking and preparing.  Plus, I always get nervous that making food in larger quantities doesn't always taste as good, I suppose.  Ha, ha... I will change it back.  I was just playing...

If you ever find yourself in a Thanksgiving hosting fix with 10 - 12 coming over, definitely look online for prep-ahead recipes.  That way you not only solve the "too much to do in one day" problem, you can plan your oven use accordingly as far as space and temperature go.  Reheat in the microwave, on the stove top, and in the oven so everything comes out hot at the same time (wrap dishes in towels to keep them warm after being reheated if necessary).  You can cook the whole thing over about 3 days and look like a master chef on the day. 

You can do this for 6, too.  It makes it MUCH easier than trying to do it all from scratch that day and also allows you to be more involved with your guests than with cooking when they arrive.

Also, if you are having a big crowd, don't be afraid to ask people to bring their favorite dishes.  Find out what they are bringing, though, so you can incorporate them strategically in the meal.

Most recipes do OK by being increased and taste exactly the same.  The ones that tend to fail are yeast-dependent recipes and soufflés.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kateh123. Show Kateh123's posts

My boyfriends parents cooked all the food for their wedding and there were about 25 people there, the whole family helped and it sounded so sweet and simple. The family got to join and spend time with the newlyweds, they all were a part of the meal and they didn't have to go far or pay much for the whole thing.

I love the idea. Espeically if you are having a daytime ceremony and then spending time relaxing and cooking and hanging out while the meal is being prepared. You of course need the space in your own or someone's house and probably prep a lot of stuff the day or couple days before. This way to you probably will acctually get to eat some of hte food at your reception too and you will have spent tmie with everyone during the cooking and cocktailing that you won't need to be up going from table to table and such.

I love it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]Tarheel is just stirring the pot.  He tried to get everyone to save money by ditching the entire wedding and going to the courthouse.  Happily, no one bothered to respond to that one. Congrats on getting a couple of bites here (no pun intended). P.S.  The sarcastic court house one is in Venues.  I didn't give it the honor of a response.  Would have ignored this one, too, but it didn't slide into oblivion fast enough. P.S.S.  Now, of course, his fun will be watching the argument ensue over his intentions.  Unless we all just ignore him.  Please.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

hey, kar.  I skipped that one the other day b/c it didn't interest me. I assumed they were asking about receptions in the Federal Courthouse on the water, which is a gorgeous venue.  I haven't been for a wedding, but the views are phenomenol. I just went and read his silly post.  What a mo mo.  I will never understand why people who hate weddings  read  the wedding boards. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

[QUOTE]I heartily recommend a fold-away table. DH and I keep one for the off-chance we ever do decide to have a dinner party. [/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I need to do.  I used to have an extendable table and a dining room, but that room turned into the "gym" when FI moved in.  The table was too big to put in our storage, and one of the legs was about to go so we gave it away.  But we'll probably start hosting more in the future and this would be an excellent thing to have!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]hey, kar.  I skipped that one the other day b/c it didn't interest me. I assumed they were asking about receptions in the Federal Courthouse on the water, which is a gorgeous venue.  I haven't been for a wedding, but the views are phenomenol. I just went and read his silly post.  What a mo mo.  I will never understand why people who hate weddings  read  the wedding boards. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Hey, ALF,

I know, I thought that, too, about the first one and was annoyed to find it was dumb instead.

They start threads in their own groups that talk about how entertained they are by their stays in Weddings.  It's a sport.

I expect Tarheel to post here again in another Wedding topic.  He's got Vendors and whatever this one is covered.  He probably has some bet going that he can start something in every single wedding category by a certain date.  Whatever.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]This is exactly what I need to do.  I used to have an extendable table and a dining room, but that room turned into the "gym" when FI moved in.  The table was too big to put in our storage, and one of the legs was about to go so we gave it away.  But we'll probably start hosting more in the future and this would be an excellent thing to have!
    Posted by dbilodeau[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!  My grandparents always had one, and we used it often.  You can really dress it up with a nice tablecloth, too, and if it matches the main table's it would look very pulled together.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You know, I love this idea.

Even better, the bride and her friends should make the wedding cake the day before the ceremony.  That way, if she's not much of a baker, the groom will know that he made a huge mistake before it's too late.