Thoughts on wedding insurance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

Thoughts on wedding insurance?

After the news profiled the guy who quit the business two weeks before a brides wedding and several of the country clubs going out of business along and i think one bridal salon, is it important to get wedding insurance? i am not sure how common it is but i saw it mentioned on another site. sorry if this is a weird question.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Thoughts on wedding insurance?

I'm already married, but we didn't get it.  In retrospect, even though nothing went wrong, I think it would have been a decent idea.  You never know, and that's the idea behind insurance, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

While insurance is generally a good idea, in this economy, it's probably an even better idea.  Could you imagine if your vendors went out of business after you had given them large deposits?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

We got it for our honeymoon and not our wedding reception.  DH's grandmother was very ill and in and out of the hospital and assisted living and rehabs for the three months prior to the wedding.  We had discussed it with both families and decided that god forbid the worst happen on the day of, the wedding itself would go on.

Our concern was for our honeymoon since we were going to Italy and had pre paid for airline and train tickets, and some activities.  I cannot remember what policy we did get but I remember asking a ton of questions about the policy when I spoke to a rep.  I think it cost a few hundred but no more than five, and we thankfully did not need to use it.  However for the piece of mind it was worht it in our opinion.

Would I do it differently now?  Depends on what vendors I had contracted with for anything that had to do with the reception and use my best guess. If your vendors are more independant than a chain or new to a business then I would probably hedge my bets with insurance. That is not to say that a chain or an established business is a sure thing, it is a matter of weighing the various risks with your comfort level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

We didn't get it, but I don't see any reason not to.  It just didn't cross my mind.

Basically, up until a couple of weeks before the wedding, we had only paid around $4,000 in deposits.  I wasn't that worried about losing them.  (Not that I have money to throw away, but in the grand scheme of things I figured I'd take the risk.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

I work in insurance and read a couple of the policies before I got married.  (One I recall was WedSafe) I didn't feel that most of the items they were covering were legit situations that could occur. Like what is the chance of my wedding dress getting destroyed, etc?

However, depending on the exact coverage and each individuals' situation it may be more applicable.

I'd read the policy to get an exact determination of what is covered, also be sure to note how they reimburse you for the items/occurences.

:)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I didn't because I only had three vendors: venue/caterer, cake & photog.
    I had no concerns about the New England Aquarium closing, and the place that made our cake was Rosie's, so I wasn't worried about that either. Our photog was DH's friend, and trustworthy.

But, I think if you have vendors that you think could be at-risk, or if you've put down large deposits, or if your wedding could be easily ruined by weather (blizzard in November or torrential downpours in May) it's a smart idea.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LilSprout. Show LilSprout's posts

Yes - we got wedding insurance through WedSafe - but ONLY because we were supplying the booze and hired bartenders.  The bartenders were licensed, but we needed to purchase the liability policy.  It was well worth it for the $150 or $200 - whatever it was - knowing that if anything happened to our guests or if our guests harmed anyone else that we'd have coverage. 

Otherwise, unless you're planning for an entirely outdoor wedding (i.e. no tent or anything) and don't have vendors with their own policies, I can't see any need for it... 

Travel insurance is another issue I know nothing about, but if you are planning on honeymooning during hurricane season it might be worth it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Lilsprout - was that just liquor liability insurance, or wedding insurance?  Just asking because we had to pay $150 for liquor liability (since our venue didn't provide it), so if yours included wedding insurance then I think I got ripped off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Double-check the policy to make sure it includes weather-related cancellations.  I thought someone around here was looking at a policy that only covered cancellation due to the death of an immediate family member or vendors going out of business.