Tipping Question...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Tipping Question...

I will ask it of you all for opinions as I don't want to cheat anyone out of a tip. I hired a vendor before she started her wedding company with another (who she had planned to be the assistant for our night).  I am curious as to how that would (if any) affect the tipping rules.  I had planned to tip the assistant but not the originial vendor (she owns her company) but now they are in business together so would that change it...

Is it okay to tip them both 15-18% instead of just the one at 20%?  It's not a lot of money to begin with ($140 would be the tip at 20%). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Tipping Question...

For me, it depends on what service she is providing to determine exactly how much to tip.  However if you were going to tip them before, i guess I'd probably just take whatever you were planning to give them originally and split it between the 2.  That's what they will probably do with it anyway since they are now in business together.

However, even if they are in business together, I still consider it "their" company and I'm not sure I'd tip them at all (it is not like they work for a larger agency or salon, they are the owners of the business together).  So I'm not sure you need to tip them. For instance, if they are photographers, I probably wouldn't tip them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

Thanks Trex...  I don't want to feel cheap but at the same time feel as you do...it's their company together now so tipping isn't expected but I'm sure very much appreciated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with Trex that it would depend, for me, on the kind of service they were providing. If they go above and beyond what any contract or agreement stipulated, then I'd tip. But, if it's not that kind of service or they simply fulfilled my order/contract/whatever, I wouldn't tip. And while I'd normally tip for delivery, I wouldn't tip if it was delivered by the owner of the business.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I wouldn't tip if they own the business. I really hate the whole tipping thing, in general. Except for the usual wait staff and hair dressers, it seems everyone wants a tip. The owner of a business sets the prices- they build in their own tip, so to speak. And as far as the rest- everything with the word "wedding" attached to it seems to be priced high enough to have it's own tip already built in, as well. JMHO. No tip. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJLen. Show JJLen's posts

I dislike the idea that owners or managers shouldn't be tipped just because they are owners or managers -- here is an example of why:
    I worked as a waitress, and on a very busy night, the manager took on a table, at the table's request (she had been a waitress at this place and always waited on them before). She worked her butt off for this table -- a large party of about 15. They did not tip her because they considered it unnecessary to tip the management. But she wasn't working as a manager for them, she was working as a waitress -- on top of all her other normal manager duties, as a special favor, she *also* took on waiting that table at their request. So she was doing her manager stuff and (rightfully) not getting paid, but also doing waiterssing stuff. To not give a tip for her waitressing seemed obnoxious. I know that is in no way this situation -- but I give this example to explain why the status of the person doing the work isn't, for me, what determines whether a tip happens.

So: Is it the sort of work -- for example, passing food trays -- that you would normally tip? Is the cost of the service more expensive than if it were being done by non-managers/owners, or is it the same?

If the service is normally a tipping-expected service (food, hair), I would tip. If not, then I wouldn't. Who owns what is irrelevant to me (unless the contract price is obviously higher and reflects a wage that indicates no tipping necessary.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping Question...:
    I wouldn't tip if they own the business. I really hate the whole tipping thing, in general. Except for the usual wait staff and hair dressers, it seems everyone wants a tip. The owner of a business sets the prices- they build in their own tip, so to speak. And as far as the rest- everything with the word "wedding" attached to it seems to be priced high enough to have it's own tip already built in, as well. JMHO. No tip. 
    Posted by elmirag

elmirag:  I *completely* agree with you!  I see people on the knot recommending you tip your photographer, caterer, event planner, cake baker, etc, etc all the standard 20%, which is INSANE if you add it all up.  If someone goes above and beyond, by all means tip.  But it seems to have become "standard" to tip 20% on pretty much everything and I don't really agree with that.  I hate tipping in general:  just tell me the price and I'll pay it.  I hate having to figure out whether I need to tip, how much and then be worried if I overpaid or not.

Anyway, hope we were helpful, NYE!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldevents. Show goldevents's posts

It depends on what service the vendor is offering; some services traditionally receive tips (bartenders, waitstaff, etc.). In most cases it is not necessary or expected for you to pay any more than the agreed upon or invoiced amount.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Tipping Question...:
    In Response to Re: Tipping Question... : elmirag:  I *completely* agree with you!  I see people on the knot recommending you tip your photographer, caterer, event planner, cake baker, etc, etc all the standard 20%, which is INSANE if you add it all up.  If someone goes above and beyond, by all means tip.  But it seems to have become "standard" to tip 20% on pretty much everything and I don't really agree with that.  I hate tipping in general:  just tell me the price and I'll pay it.  I hate having to figure out whether I need to tip, how much and then be worried if I overpaid or not. Anyway, hope we were helpful, NYE!
    Posted by trex509

I agree that tipping has gone crazy these days! You have to earn a tip.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh those tipping questions, aren't they driving your crazy? In many countries in Europe, the tip is included in the price. I wish, they would start it here as well.
    I can't believe that 20% tip for wedding related services are the norm now.
    If one is dealing with the owner of the company, no tip is required. And it doesn't matter if there is just one owner or three. They set their prices and their profit is included in that.
    So to OP's question - no tip.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I totally agree, pingo!

Sections
Shortcuts