Uplighting - What's the real deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Uplighting - What's the real deal?

We had an outdoor wedding in a tent and wanted more light inside, so we did add a few uplights. It can add a nice glow.  I know some DJs that will add it too, so ask them first before you go and hire another vendor.  I actually had my florist do the uplighting as they do wedding design as well, so I guess I'm not much help in recommending someone. I know uplighting can be SUPER expensive, and not worth the 800-1000 price tag that I've heard of. We spent less than $100 on ours.  There may be places where you can rent the uplights from and then buy the colors you want online. They're just sheets of colored plastic. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitten1979. Show kitten1979's posts

boston uplights is good but from what I hear they're a little pricey. Check with your DJ (mine does uplights but the venue provides them too) and also check out some other companies out of NH etc. They can be a bit cheaper. I've never seen or heard of anyone really messing up uplights so as long as the company is reliable you should be fine. On a personal note, I just like the way they look. I think they are pretty. :-) The ones my venue has are actually LED lights and don't use the colored plastic mentioned above. Ours change colors throughout the night and can make like 30 color variations or something. But those are probably completely unneccessary and if they weren't in my package I probably would have gone with whatever the cheapest ones I could find were.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I really like uplighting, but it can be very expensive and maybe a bit of a luxury unless you have lots of room in your budget for it.  We didn't but my DH really wanted some added lights.  Turns out we were able to rent 6 lights from the AV group that the hotel uses for very cheap.  I think we paid like $200 total (DH even negotiated down their original price. He *really* wanted them!)  We had them in the corners with pink gels and they did look awesome.  But I would not have paid much more than that for it.

Oh, and our DJ also brought a light that had a few changing colors on it.  It wasn't huge, so it added a nice subtle affect.  No extra charge for that, so definitely ask!

We went to a wedding that had constantly changing, shimmering dot LED lights.  It looked AWESOME!  But I'm pretty sure they paid a lot for it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianqueen. Show italianqueen's posts

My daughter had her wedding at Cruiseport Gloucester and uplights were not necessary.  Cruiseport is a beautiful venue and everything was perfect - the food, the service, the DJ.  I feel that uplights at Cruiseport are not needed. 
    Put your money elsewhere. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from migu2011. Show migu2011's posts

Thanks so much everyone for your input!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I always think uplighing a an extra espense that probably isn't needed- and then I see photos of it done right like your, Summer2010- and I know I'm crazy to think that!! Those shots were absolutely beuatiful and most likely worth whatever you paid X 2! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree that if you really want uplights check to see if the DJ or florist you're using offers the service.
    I usually think of uplights as an extra, they are beautiful and can really change a room, but I don't think I'd spend the extra money unless they were really important to me.

Your photographer really should be able to work with any lighting conditions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AltaredVisions. Show AltaredVisions's posts

Well here's the biased opinion of a photographer (who admits fully to lurking around here, sorry if it's creepy...you're all great for learning exactly what brides want!) uplighting is the greatest thing on Earth. Our last wedding (Hi, Nicole!) had beautiful uplights and my partner and I nearly died at the door it was so gorgeous.

I don't sell uplighting or anything, but I couldn't help but chime in out of selfish hope that uplighting becomes more popular! ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If the photographer is suggesting it, and given that he's shot weddings there before, I'd do it.  Shop around for the best deal, but unless your photographer is in bed with the lighting people, I'd assume he has your photo quality in mind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I would be cautious with uplights.  I've seen it before where I felt it looked "cheesy", so it definitely depends on the match between the colors chosen and the venue/atmosphere.  Summer's lights look great--they take a neutral tent and make it appear warm and inviting.  But I've seen lighting in old ballrooms like at the Park Plaza and Taj Boston that looked cheesy and overdone.  

Our band brought some lighting for the dance floor, but that is different than uplighting the entire room, in my opinion.  

We used candles to create some "warm glow" light on the tables...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I totally recommend it!  I was apprehensive when my husband wanted to do it but am so glad we spent the money on it. Our Dj, Mike's Music, was fantastic...he had better lighting prices than another company and even came out to our venue, Indian Pond to test the lighting out so we made sure we had enough and that the woodwork wouldn't interfere with the lights hitting the ceiling(pic below). Altared posted another pic from my wedding.  The units were all battery operated so there no wires for anyone to trip on...they were nice and hugged the walls so no one could trip on them.  Everyone loved it and the lights around the dance floor were programmed with the music when dancing started to change with the beats...which was a great festive touch.  I know it can be an added expense but if you want to add that extra WOW factor, I definitely recommend it. 

Good luck with your wedding planning.  It's tons of fun!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yrana. Show yrana's posts

check out this website...

www.bostonsoundandlight.com

there are tons of uplighting photos in a variety of colors. highly recommend uplighting!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

I too had boston uplights for my wedding - and LOVED them! Cruiseport Gloucester is beauitful (it was our second choice for reception - big debate with DH and I) and I can just imagine uplights there - it will be beautiful! Best of luck!