Vendor Meals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Vendor Meals

Wedding food is usually not good anyways..I'd rather have the subway sandwich!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

My then FI was surprised,  but having worked catering I was not, when our bartenders and photographer specified that having had years in the business they could not handle 5 or 6 guest dinner style meals  every single week , served very overcooked or half cold  because they were busy  earlier.  They also did not want the vending machine type sandwiches the local Servo-mation type place made which had so many preservatives white bread stayed soft for 10 days (uck, with coldcuts and ersatz mayo that old.)
       So we wrote their request in the contracts, why not, any sandwich made fresh that day, plus canned or fresh fruit and a desert and drink.  Our dinner caterer gave them a choice of sliced turkey, BLT or roast beef on fresh rolls, (gave them 2 each),  apples, cheddar slices and good crackers,  choice of our pastries, pies or cake for guests' desserts, and made frappes to order.  $14.
        What's the big deal we thought? Until friends and family said they paid 25 to 45 dollars and were never told what the meal was.  
         I do think brides should be aware of the issue and ask.

But any decent caterer can and should make a 2 minute negotiation over something good and fresh, fine eaten any time from between set up and the reception, or any time the vendor can take a break which for some may be 2 hours after guests eat.
     For under $20  or send out to Subway.

Nothing wrong with a boxed lunch that is like what most of us bring for our lunches every day.

Flashdance's posts seem way over the top.  No restaurant or vendor employee is guaranteed or should expect a top notch catered meal of sirloin and shrimp.   And the thought of making friends with this guy-  eek.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

lol-whata- good point! who wants a friend who's going to criticize the food you serve them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Flashdance, I agree with you.  People are taking this way too seriously.  I don't see why you can't complain about aspects of your job that you don't like, just like I do.  If people choose not to hire you because of it, so be it.  You clearly aren't concerned with that or you wouldn't have posted it on the internet to begin with.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

The contract for my band states that they must be provided with a HOT meal.  I have no problem with that. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't know fram- there's just something about complaining about a free meal when there's millions of hungry people in this country alone. They'd be thrilled to get that sandwich that flashdance is so eager to complain about. Free food is one of the perks of being a wedding band or DJ, not a reason to complain.

My company bought us all pizza last week. If people didn't like it they just didn't eat any, they didn't complain that it wasn't up to their standards.

it just strikes me as entitled and ungrateful. it's not like they gave you a half-eaten PB&J and a juice box.

*ETA I'm also not saying that he's not good at his job, he probably is. I just think that sometimes people don't think about a situation from the outside before complaining. As other posters have pointed out, I think the real issue is that people might get way over charged for that boxed dinner, which IMO shouldn't cost more than $20.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I see your point, Pink.  I can't stand when people complain about something free we get at work, such as pizza or some kind of celebration.  I'm not saying this guy should go around complaining about free food... just saying it's his blog and his livelihood and he can write what he wants!  If I were a vendor, I wouldn't want to eat cr ap every weekend either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Just a thought for brides wondering what to feed their vendors, talk to your venue and ask what the options are.  What i was told was either a cold sandwich, chips, cookie, water, for $25  or pay what you are paying per head for a hot meal.  I actually questioned this and said that I don't want to give them a sandwich (we hired a 7 piece band) and what are my other options.  I was told that I could give them the meal minus desert/ salad for $40.  So thats what we did, not much more money when you think of all the other expenses for a wedding. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

flashdance,
    If I understand you correctly, you -----travel all over the world (including NY and Cape Cod) for weddings with a great deal of equipment-----, you certainly deserve a hot meal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Good one, Pingo!  (Maybe he just uses an iPod and a Bose box!)

I  love the contract specifying a hot meal.  I can just see the episode of Judge Judy when you're hauled into court for breach of contract because the gravy was cold! 

Actually, alfie, I've been humming "What a Feeling" for almost 24 hours now.  Help! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

Wow, ladies, some of the more mature ones here remember that I have been a wedding vendor and all I can say is, wow.  The talk here is mostly why I got out of the business.  I didn't even read the link, so, I can't say anything about that, but, I'm just going to make a small comment about the snotty attitude many of you are pulling in attacking this man.  Vendors are people too.  You seem to forget that.  They make their living listening to you p!ss and moan and treat them like crap.  For a DJ, your 6 hour party is often 8+ hours of work (I was a DJ, so, I'm not exaggerating) on the DAY of the wedding, not including the work you do in advance to get ready for it.  If you don't think your vendors deserve a decent meal then that's your opinion, just as this man has his.  Some time, read back over what you write as if you didn't write it.  I think many of you would be surprised how you come off sounding. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

A sandwich, chips, cookie and a soda is a decent meal. It's what I have for lunch when I work (and my work days are 8 hours), and I have to pay for it myself. I wouldn't pay for it if I thought it wasn't decent. If that meal was free in the office breakroom, I'd either eat it and be happy for the free meal or buy something myself.

Most brides dont' "p!ss & moan" and treat their DJs "like crap". Most just tell them what to play and let them do their jobs.

In Response to Re: Vendor Meals:
    [QUOTE]Wow, ladies, some of the more mature ones here remember that I have been a wedding vendor and all I can say is, wow.  The talk here is mostly why I got out of the business.  I didn't even read the link, so, I can't say anything about that, but, I'm just going to make a small comment about the snotty attitude many of you are pulling in attacking this man.  Vendors are people too.  You seem to forget that.  They make their living listening to you p!ss and moan and treat them like crap.  For a DJ, your 6 hour party is often 8+ hours of work (I was a DJ, so, I'm not exaggerating) on the DAY of the wedding, not including the work you do in advance to get ready for it.  If you don't think your vendors deserve a decent meal then that's your opinion, just as this man has his.  Some time, read back over what you write as if you didn't write it.  I think many of you would be surprised how you come off sounding. 
    Posted by lovetoplan[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Lovetoplan:  maybe you should read the actual link before you reply.  No one here suggested that you shouldn't feed the DJ or any other vendor.  In fact, most of us expressly said that of course you should!  Flashdance was complaining about the quality of the food he gets served and then blaming the brides for that when it is actually the venue that he should be complaining to.

My FI is a wedding vendor part time and we've been on the other side of this too.  We've never been served a soggy sandwich as a vendor meal.  In fact, we have always gotten quite nice hot meals.  But even if we did, I wouldn't complain to the bride about it.  And I would never expect a bride to pay a lot of money for our food anyway.  We're working.  We either eat what is provided or get our own food.  It is not that big a deal.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]A sandwich, chips, cookie and a soda is a decent meal. It's what I have for lunch when I work (and my work days are 8 hours), and I have to pay for it myself. I wouldn't pay for it if I thought it wasn't decent. If that meal was free in the office breakroom, I'd either eat it and be happy for the free meal or buy something myself.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Me, too. I would be delighted to get a free sandwich every day.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, sammich.

I don't think anyone was arguing that vendors shouldn't get to eat all day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

mmmmmmmmm, sammich, indeed! LOL :)

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vendor Meals : Me, too. I would be delighted to get a free sandwich every day. Mmmmmmmmmmm, sammich. I don't think anyone was arguing that vendors shouldn't get to eat all day.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from deadicons20003. Show deadicons20003's posts

All my vendors were fed a hot meal.  That said, my reception was from 7 - midnight.  I didn't really understand why it was necessary for us to provide full, hot dinners for so many people for that period of time.  It really adds up quick (photog, video, 7-piece band, many others, etc). Eat before you go to work.  That's what we all have to do.  I don't show up at 9 every morning to court expecting bacon and eggs.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

Well, just to make sure I have this clear: you would be OK with your band or photographer showing up right at 7Pm for your wedding? Or do they have to be there 3 hours early and then spend another hour or so after everyone is gone at the end of the night? Because that's two different things. And would you be OK if the band, photographer left the site during the wedding to go have dinner? And, while that little boxed meal might be OK with some of us for lunch, would we be OK if that was dinner? because a lot of weddings happen at dinner time or in the evening. 

I may be wrong, but I believe the original intent of the blog was to point out that a lot of brides don't actually know what their vendors are being fed- and yet will be charged for it. Me? I like to know what I'm paying for. A co- worker who played in a wedding band told me that a venue once handed each member a ziplock band of plain pasta with no utensils or plates and didn't have a table for them to eat at. That was probably described as a "vendor meal" to the bride who paid for it. I believe this is a more common phenomenon than we might know.