Vendor Meals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Vendor Meals

Interesting post about vendor meals:

http://www.theflashdance.com/index.cfm?postID=217

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Vendor Meals

That person has some nerve.  Do they realize that brides generally have no say over what the vendors get fed?  The venue has decided what the vendors are going to eat, so stop complaining to the brides.  We just pay the frieght.

FWIW, the venue where I had my reception fed the vendors exactly what the guests got fed.  They went up to the buffet after all the guests had eaten and were served then.  If we had gone for a plated option, the vendors would have gotten that instead. 

I also did not become friends w/ my vendors.  I met w/ them to hire them, exchanged emails w/ a few of them prior to the wedding about wedding-related details, and then saw them again on the day of the wedding.  I would think vendors are too busy w/ all of their clients to become buddies w/ them.  It seems to be a a really weird approach for a professional to take.  If you want better food, talk to the people that you have working relationships with at the various venues that you serve.  Personally, I'd be thrilled if a client offered me a sandwich, chips, a drink and cookies if I were working for several hours on site.  :-) I wouldn't hold out for filet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Yes, I would definitely hire a DJ called "The Flashdance".  Let me just rip the neck off my sweatshirt and pump up my shoulder pads first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think he does have a valid point -- maybe some venues do provide lousy, soggy sandwiches, etc.  But how would we know.  I think a boxed lunch (like you would get at an all-day conference) is a perfectly adequate meal for a vendor. 

"You're my potential friend".  Um, no I'm not.  I hired you, at great cost, to provide a professional service.  (I could have hired a friend to do it much cheaper, but I don't hire my friends!)

Very amusing thought though.  They sure are DIFFERENT out in LaLa land! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If I were working all day, I would be perfectly happy to eat a free boxed lunch like the one shown.  That lunch looks as good as what I usually end up bringing for lunch to my job.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Haha!  I had a feeling this would get some heated replies.  Yeah, the guy has some nerve to complain about what he gets since the couple doesn't choose the meal, they just order it.  Most places I know serve a hot vendor meal, it just tends to be chicken instead of the filet mignon the guests are getting.

However, if the question was whether or not to feed your vendors, the answer is absolutely yes!  They work very hard for often over 6 hrs, and feeding them is just polite and will keep them happily working for you.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I absolutely agree that vendors should be fed, and preferably a hot meal.  But to complain that brides and grooms are doing a lousy job feeding him, when they really can't control what he gets fed b/c the venue takes care of it, well, that's just nervy.  Cosmo is right; must a Left Coast thing.  And I woud never hire someone called The Flashdance either.  lol. Wink

and I just went back and looked at the Bad Dinner and the Good Dinner. Honestly, I'd prefer the Bad Dinner. The Good Dinner looks like chicken nuggets, beans and spinach.  Beans and spinach, okay, but probably not while I was working any event.  I know he's a DJ, but that's not the kind of music he's supposed to be playing, is it? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

ROFLOL, Alfie! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from theflashdance. Show theflashdance's posts

here is the thing about the post guys... it is true that most couples do not know what they are getting into when they say yes to a vendor meal so it was one part education. it is also true that most venues (or caterers) take advantage of the situation and charge the couple way too much money for a "vendor" or "family" meal (sometimes up to $60 per vendor) so it was also one part calling BS on that policy. 

as for my personal relationship with my clients i am typically very close with the people i work with, and i am happy to call many friends, & many of those close friends. furthermore, i was not serving my own needs, my contract has (and has had for some time) a clause about food which not one client has ever even mentioned. 

it is silly to think that a couple has no control over the food they are paying for, it is usually a matter of just not knowing the right questions to ask and for those that are interested, they learned something, for those who don't care, well, i don't want those kind of clients anyway. we are very busy & i think my opinions (both popular and not) have played a big role in our success. if you think i am off base that's cool with me, there are a lot of people out there and unless i keep my mouth shut about everything i am bound to make somebody mad!

----“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”  -Winston Churchill 

btw i grew up on cape cod and until my wife got pregnant last year i lived in brooklyn, this has nothing to do with los angeles. this is not about holding out for steak, this is about trying to change a situation that is clearly a mess for everyone involved (well, except for the caterer who is serving up a subway lunch for $60!) -MICHAEL www.theflashdance.com

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Seriously, dude? You went and found a bridal blog in an area that you can't even possibly service and felt the need to respond?  Yeah, we get that you are originally from here, but whatever.

As for the Churchill quote, great quote. However, it doesn't really apply in this situation. No one is your enemy here. We just think you are pretty nervy complaining that the bride and groom are feeding you swill.  The bride and groom can't control what the caterer feeds the vendors.  If we are  told you are getting X, then we assume that you are getting X, not some 3 day old Subway sandwich.  If you don't get X, I don't want to hear about it till after the wedding, when I can take it up w/ my caterer and get a refund.  You can bet brides would post nasty caterer reviews if they are told their vendors are getting X for food and they are getting something Grade D instead.

EVERY vendor that I contracted with, minus the florist and cake vendor, had a clause in their contract requiring a meal. I would think it would be weird did you not include such a clause.  Now if it said "I will only eat food that meets X standard", well, I probably would have passed on your services b/c that to me says that you are high maintenance, and I didn't want to deal w/ any high maintenance vendors on my wedding day.  Absolutely, you should be fed and absolutely it should be edible and nutritious, but I think you need to direct your complaints to the caterers, not to the bride, who can't do anything about what you are fed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

At $100 bucks a plate for wedding dinner food, a vendor should be grateful for that fresh, tasty boxed dinner.  I like Subway, and you're not there for the wedding dinner, anyway.  You're there to provide a service that happens to run through the dinner hour.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, the DJ actually found this post?  On the same day it was posted?  From LA?  That is a little scary to me...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Creepy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from theflashdance. Show theflashdance's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Meals:
    Seriously, dude? You went and found a bridal blog in an area that you can't even possibly service and felt the need to respond?  Yeah, we get that you are originally from here, but whatever. As for the Churchill quote, great quote. However, it doesn't really apply in this situation. No one is your enemy here. We just think you are pretty nervy complaining that the bride and groom are feeding you swill.  The bride and groom can't control what the caterer feeds the vendors.  If we are  told you are getting X, then we assume that you are getting X, not some 3 day old Subway sandwich.  If you don't get X, I don't want to hear about it till after the wedding, when I can take it up w/ my caterer and get a refund.  You can bet brides would post nasty caterer reviews if they are told their vendors are getting X for food and they are getting something Grade D instead. EVERY vendor that I contracted with, minus the florist and cake vendor, had a clause in their contract requiring a meal. I would think it would be weird did you not include such a clause.  Now if it said "I will only eat food that meets X standard", well, I probably would have passed on your services b/c that to me says that you are high maintenance, and I didn't want to deal w/ any high maintenance vendors on my wedding day.  Absolutely, you should be fed and absolutely it should be edible and nutritious, but I think you need to direct your complaints to the caterers, not to the bride, who can't do anything about what you are fed.
    Posted by ALF72

look, what i am saying is that it is NOT about you! i am not directing anything at YOU, when i made the original post, and when i commented here, i was saying that there is a situation that i am, personally, not into and why. 

the quote from churchill wasn't directed at you or anyone here, the sentiment suggests that when you have an opinion about something it will not always be universally accepted.

i have a clause in my contract that says food needs to meet a certain standard (it does not need to be steak, or lobster, but it can't be 2 or 3 day old soggy sandwiches) because i am not interested in eating crap every saturday of my life, (bringing a meal with me is not really an option because i travel all over the world for weddings with a great deal of equipment...) the people who can afford to hire me are not really concerned with the additional few dollars it takes to feed ME properly, and if you had read my entire post or response you would understand that i was speaking for the benefit of vendors, and couples who agree with what i am saying who are not in the fortunate position i am in. i have no ill feelings toward anyone, with the exception of some caterers, and this is my way of speaking out about it.

finally, this is NOT a blog, this is a message board, two very different things (different conversation) but anytime someone mentions my url i can trace it, i just played in ny this weekend, and was on the cape several times over the summer so you are wrong about where i perform... if you are going to trash talk my opinion without even understanding my position i am definitely going to respond.

my position is that venues and caterers often abuse the vendor meal situation. most reputable vendors (to which the original post was addressed) agree. i spoke up about it and have seen almost all positive response, the negative response has been from caterers, or people who misunderstood and took it personally (though i cannot for the life of me understand why).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Well, excuse my typo for using the word blog rather than message board. 

I still think you responding is silly. I find it very hard to believe that someone in NYC would hire a DJ from LA.  A band maybe b/c I know my band travels all over the country, but a DJ? Come on.  I don't care how great the DJ is, I can't fathom footing his bill for the flight and hotel [which I would expect to do for any vendor that I made travel outside of a 50 mile radius]. 

I find it hard to believe that people read your contract and don't laugh.  What are you going to do if you get a Subway sandwich at a wedding? Go over to the bride and complain that she is in breach of contract? 

I totally agree that caterers may gouge re vendor meals.  I know mine didn't b/c I paid the exact same price for my vendor meals as I paid for my guest meals and I know they ate the same thing b/c I saw the photographers and the band being served at the buffet. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I'm curious, does it happen often where you get a 3 day old soggy sandwich?  and if so, what kind of venues are you working at?  all the hotels I talked to provide a hot chicken meal for the vendors at a reduced price.  Most of the weddings i have been to, this is also what the vendors got.  Maybe you need to select better venues to work at.  Although, if you put your requirements in your contract, it doesn't matter anyway.  Your problem is solved!

oh and just for the record, this post wasn't about YOU.  I posted the link because I thought the topic was interesting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theflashdance. Show theflashdance's posts

I'm curious, does it happen often where you get a 3 day old soggy sandwich?  and if so, what kind of venues are you working at?  all the hotels I talked to provide a hot chicken meal for the vendors at a reduced price.  Most of the weddings i have been to, this is also what the vendors got.  Maybe you need to select better venues to work at.  Although, if you put your requirements in your contract, it doesn't matter anyway.  Your problem is solved! oh and just for the record, this post wasn't about YOU.  I posted the link because I thought the topic was interesting.
    Posted by trex509

fair enough, the post wasn't about me, but some people certainly decided to make it about me! the venue often has very little to do with the food... more often than not it is an outside caterer, or a caterer who has a deal with the venue. since they have always gotten away with overcharging for all of their services it doesn't surprise me at all that they serve lousy food to people who would likely have no recourse. (though it is not always a soggy sandwich.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from theflashdance. Show theflashdance's posts

Well, excuse my typo for using the word blog rather than message board.  I still think you responding is silly. I find it very hard to believe that someone in NYC would hire a DJ from LA.  A band maybe b/c I know my band travels all over the country, but a DJ? Come on.  I don't care how great the DJ is, I can't fathom footing his bill for the flight and hotel [which I would expect to do for any vendor that I made travel outside of a 50 mile radius].  I find it hard to believe that people read your contract and don't laugh.  What are you going to do if you get a Subway sandwich at a wedding? Go over to the bride and complain that she is in breach of contract?  I totally agree that caterers may gouge re vendor meals.  I know mine didn't b/c I paid the exact same price for my vendor meals as I paid for my guest meals and I know they ate the same thing b/c I saw the photographers and the band being served at the buffet. 
    Posted by ALF72

it is up to you, believe whatever you like.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Meals : look, what i am saying is that it is NOT about you! i am not directing anything at YOU, when i made the original post, and when i commented here, i was saying that there is a situation that i am, personally, not into and why.  the quote from churchill wasn't directed at you or anyone here, the sentiment suggests that when you have an opinion about something it will not always be universally accepted. i have a clause in my contract that says food needs to meet a certain standard (it does not need to be steak, or lobster, but it can't be 2 or 3 day old soggy sandwiches) because i am not interested in eating crap every saturday of my life, (bringing a meal with me is not really an option because i travel all over the world for weddings with a great deal of equipment...) the people who can afford to hire me are not really concerned with the additional few dollars it takes to feed ME properly, and if you had read my entire post or response you would understand that i was speaking for the benefit of vendors, and couples who agree with what i am saying who are not in the fortunate position i am in. i have no ill feelings toward anyone, with the exception of some caterers, and this is my way of speaking out about it. finally, this is NOT a blog, this is a message board, two very different things (different conversation) but anytime someone mentions my url i can trace it, i just played in ny this weekend, and was on the cape several times over the summer so you are wrong about where i perform... if you are going to trash talk my opinion without even understanding my position i am definitely going to respond. my position is that venues and caterers often abuse the vendor meal situation. most reputable vendors (to which the original post was addressed) agree. i spoke up about it and have seen almost all positive response, the negative response has been from caterers, or people who misunderstood and took it personally (though i cannot for the life of me understand why).
    Posted by theflashdance

Complaining and bragging is a horrible way of doing business.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from theflashdance. Show theflashdance's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Meals : Complaining and bragging is a horrible way of doing business.
    Posted by Elmgirl82

jeez, you guys are a negative bunch huh? this is NOT "doing business" as you say. i am quite convinced that nobody who is commenting here is interested in hiring me, that is just fine! i am responding to the rude things other people have said without provocation. (ok, i guess i am complaining about the food situation but that is no reason for you to take issue with it...) and bragging? man, i said i was fortunate, & for that i am grateful!! i am NOT bragging, what do i have to gain from bragging to you guys, you clearly all think i am some big jerk for speaking my mind, again, fine by me. perhaps to you, i am a jerk and that is something i can live with.

anyway, i guess i have spent enough time trying to make my case. it is obvious that my actual point has fallen on deaf ears and like i said in the original post if you disagree we probably would not make a good fit anyway so on to the next thing for everyone i suppose. good luck! -MICHAEL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Why do you feel the need to continue to justify yourself?  As Alf and others have said, we get the whole caterers screwing you on a meal...so what's the real issue?  Are you mad because some of us don't want to be BFF's with our vendors?  Or that we wouldn't hire a DJ named The Flash Dance for a wedding?

I thought vendors weren't supposed to post here?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Sure someone hired an LA d.j. for a NY wedding.  Cuz there aren't enough DJs in the tri-state area.

But, like many of the vendors we've seen on here before, he doesn't realize that the more he argues on a wedding message board, the less professional he looks, and anyone who googles "the flashdancer" or whatever will find this stuff, too.

But I still think the original premise is interesting and it's something that future brides may want to check into when discussing vendor meals with the venue. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

this strikes me as an excellent idea. perhaps next time I rsvp to a wedding, I'll include a food contract where if the food is not up to my standards, I can rescind my gift.

seriously, dude? A food clause? and not justa  clause where you say you must be fed, but that you must be fed a certain quality food?
    this is precisely why I didn't hire a DJ. making up lists of must haves like a celebrity demanding a bowl of only blue M&M's in their trailer. Direct your complaints to the caterer, not the bride and groom.

I've got news for you too- those sandwiches aren't 2 or 3 days old. In college I worked at a place that made subs. When you use really fresh iceberg lettuce and tomatoes, there's so much moisture coming off of them that if the sandwich is properly wrapped, it gets soggy after about 20 mins. This is why when I order subs from a deli, I skip the iceberg and tomatoes so that the sandwich won't get soggy if I don't eat it right away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Can we get a link to this contract? I'm with Pink - I bet it looks like a contract rider.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I never realized that this was such a big deal to vendors so in a way, it's enlightening. I was under the impression that working a wedding is a job. The only time I ever expected to get fed at work was when I used to work 12+ hour days. Trust me, the food we got was NOT gourmet and on top of it, it's not like I even got a real break to eat! I know it's not the same thing, but seriously - you're getting paid (a lot!) to work for up to 6 hours and getting free food on top of it. What is the problem!?! And fine if you want to make the point that vendor meals are a rip off, isn't that the case with everything wedding related?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Am I the only one w/ the song Maniac stuck in my head? Wink

Sections
Shortcuts