Vendor Review 10/11/2009 (long)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Vendor Review 10/11/2009 (long)

The time has come for me to post my vendor review and I couldn't be more excited to share.  I used these forums to find many of my vendors and for advice and such and I found it to be the most helpful place out there for advice. 

My DH and I wanted a short, unique ceremony and then a big party after with good food and good people.  We also didn't want to break the bank. 
    That's exactly how it worked out!

I have been thinking about what to write here since we started getting out vendors (crazy I know) but I want what I write to be acurate as I used these reviews to help create our day!  With that said I am going to be critical because I think that is most helpful...so here goes.

Venue:  Three Chimneys Inn - Durham, NH  (see the venue section for a detailed review - I just couldn't rate them as a whole here)

INVITATIONS/SAVE-THE-DATES: Sweetpenelope.com - san fran   A+
    I could not be happier with the way our invites came out for the price we paid.  Basically, Elyse has a package where she puts together a pdf file for you and then you print the invites at home.  She was a huge help in picking out the right paper for the colors we were using and even helped me when I called with printer trouble!  She was really so great to work with, I wish I could meet her!  She was patient and got things done quickly.  DH cut all the paper and helped me stuff envelopes.  It worked out really well.  Not to mention I think including the cost of paper and envelopes our invites, STDs and thank yous cost ~$200.  yea! 

PHOTOGRAPHER: Scott Metzger  - Lexington, MA    A
    Scott was great to work with, he was easy going and made me feel comfortable during the photo shoot.  He was funny and good with all ages.  Scott has a photojournalistic approach, so after the "formals" I didn't even see him.  He was there, just in the crowd and doing his thing.  
    He did arrive earlier than he had stated and stayed longer, which was really great!  We choose him initially because we got along with him really well, appreciated his love of photography (which was very obvious) and because he offered a discount for Sunday weddings!   Of course we have not seen the photos yet, but I'm hoping for the best - I'll keep you posted. 

FLOWERS: F...as in Flowers Lynn Curcio - Exeter, NH   A++
    Lynn went above what my expectations were and the flowers were just about the most beautiful things I have ever seen!  They had so much texture and rich colors.  When I first met with Lynn, I had a feeling that we had similar taste.  I left feeling like she knew exactly what I wanted and I didn't give her much direction except for color and showing her which flowers I liked (which seemed to be the same over and over).  The only thing I told her was "no roses" and there was not one to be found. 
    She was also patient with me in the last few weeks when I constantly changed my mind.  We did not have her do centerpieces, so I thought she might put me on the back burner as a client since I wasn't spending as much, but I never once felt like that. 
    On the day of, she even added flowers here and there to the mantle where we had placed famiy photos, on the cake table and on the candy bar.  I  had never mentioned any of this to her and she just did her thing and it all looked beautiful .  I think the photographer was already there when she walked in with the box of bouquets, so hopefully he caught my reaction on camera.

DJ:  Nate Oinonen  - Boston, MA   A++
    Nate was by far one of my favorite vendors (right up there with the flowers).  We found him through BeatTrain, but he is no longer with that company.  
    We had hired another DJ and much to my DH dismay, I decided to get rid of him (bye bye deposit) and get Nate.  SOOOOO glad that I did.  I come from a big music family who likes a wide variety music and nothing that is "typical."  Nate fit the bill.  He is the complete opposite of a cheesy wedding DJ - no games, no YMCA, none of that.  Instead I felt more like I was at a longue and I danced the ENTIRE night - I had trouble leaving just to go use the ladies room.  friend kept coming up all night asking if I had selected each song on the playlist when in fact it was quite the opposite.  I picked only the irst dance song and father/daughter.  Somehow though, Nate played all my favorites and it was just perfect!  He even stayed about 15 minutes past the "end time" - I think he was having fun too!  
    The only thing he mixed up was that he asked my dad to make the toast before we sat down and I think that put him on the spot, but as it was, he didn't make it through the toast because he broke down crying - so sweet.  

CAKE: Maryanne Kane - Elliot, ME   B+
    Maryanne was a bit scattered, but at the tasting the cake was amazing and the price was right.  The cake was not a high priority for us.  I gave her this rating because I think she did an average job.  The cake tasted fine - no one got sick, but it wasn't memorable either.  Also, the cake looked just OK.  I wanted it to have a lot of orange and red and I tried to make that clear, but that's not the way it turned out.  She was also difficult to get a hold of (especially on the wedding day when I had not heard from her since August and wanted to make sure she was coming!)  All in all the cake was fine.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you want a WOW cake, use someone else.  

Jazz Duo:   David Newsam and John Hunter  Durham, NH     A
    I found David by contacting the UNH Jazz department.  He and John did a great job playing at the ceremony and cocktail hour.  I had never met David (and still haven't really.)  We talked on the phone and via e-mail.  He was able to come down in price to fit my budget.  The music was beautiful and I could hear them practicing from my window while I was getting ready - perfect. 
    He was really a nice guy and very easy to work with!  I heard that he was good at the cocktail hour although I wasn't there to hear. 

JP:  Blue Sky Wedding Services John Scuto - Nottingham, NH   A+
    John has been highly recommended on here before.  He and his wife to a great job helping to create the ceremony.  They are two of the most organized people I have ever met!  I had no doubts that things would run smoothly.  They were even great when we had our rehearsal in the rain and in the dark! 
    John gives you a packet to create your own unique ceremony and Cathy sets the whole thing up and is there to keep everyone organized on the Big Day. 

TUX: MW Tux - Burlington, MA  C
    This was probably the worst experience that I've ever had shopping for a guy.  The woman who worked here knew nothing about the product.  DH is a BIG guy - 6'4' and she wanted him to wear a vest that was too short.  Thank goodness I was there to steer him clear of that.  Seriously, she told him just to pull his pants up higher.  Seriously.  Also, she could not tell me the different color vests that they had or show me a catalogue.  I had to look all over the store to find a book that had photos.  When the best man picked up his Tux, the pants were too short.  The other guys who were out of state got their tuxes just fine. 
    *Hajjar’s Big & Tall - Saugus, MA   A   
    We had to go here for DH's vest and tie because they carry big and tall.  Really wish we started here.  The guy who helped us was very knowledgeble and the prices were better.  I didn't realize how bad MW was until we went here. 

DRESS and ALTERATIONS: Cristina's Bridal - Andover, MA    A
    This place was a little snooty, but they had the dress of my dreams (and I spent a long time looking for it).  They seemed to do a pretty standard job.  I really liked the seamstress - she was down to earth and tried to keep my price down.  Overall a good experience.  The dress itself was made by Tara Keely.  I LOVED it and got so many compiments all night.  The fabric was a bit differernt, soft and sweet.  Very me!

BRIDESMAIDS DRESSES: Macys - A
    I stumbled upon these dresses in the store.  They were the right color (gray) the right lenght (long) and the right price (on sale for $100)  I bought them all at once and the girls loved them!  A friend at the wedding (a fashion designer) asked if I had them made.  Nope! 
    BRIDESMAIDS SHOES: American Eagle - A
    We searched for these for a long time and AE had the right ones.  Red, suede flats.  Perfect color, no problems.  and..they really can wear them again!  (actually, most of them kept saying they couldn't wait to wear them)

JEWLERY: Etsy - luxedeluxe  A
    This woman had exactly what I was looking for and made the earrings a little different to match.  She shipped from Scotland and things arrived right on time in cute packaging.  (I love etsy!)

WEATHER: Mother Nature  A+
    She really pulled it together.  it was a bit chilly, but perfectly sunny!  I had been worried a week before when we were sandwiched between two rainy days, but it worked out perfect!

I don't think I am forgetting anything - this is long anyway!  MoH, DH and I made a lot of things for the wedding (centerpieces, candy bar, table numbers, placecards, programs, invites) and that worked out great!  saved a lot of money too and gave everything our own special touch!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Vendor Review 10/11/2009 (long)

Everything sounds fabulous!  So glad you had a wonderful day.

What color were the flowers?  Trying to picture the gray dresses and red shoes with flowers - sounds great!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Review 10/11/2009 (long):
    Everything sounds fabulous!  So glad you had a wonderful day. What color were the flowers?  Trying to picture the gray dresses and red shoes with flowers - sounds great!
    Posted by framerican51008

thank you!  they were like a mango orange and a deep red.  kind of like the colors of the leaves.  i'll have to figure out how to post pics.  and find some good ones!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Thanks boston! Everything sounds wonderful, and it sounds like you guys are really creative and gave your wedding a personal touch! I'm using Scott Metzger too, and it's great to hear such a positive review!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Great review, congrats!  I love etsy and luxedeluxe has some great jewelry.  I added them to my favorites!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats, bostonslp!!  Sounds like a perfect day.  Good thing the cake wasn't super important to you.  If the best I could say was "no one got sick" I'd have given it a C-.  But, if that's the worst part of the day, YAY!!!

Blessings on your marriage.  Come back and see us!

~kar

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Congrats, bostonslp!!  Sounds like a perfect day.  Good thing the cake wasn't super important to you.  If the best I could say was "no one got sick" I'd have given it a C-.  But, if that's the worst part of the day, YAY!!! Blessings on your marriage.  Come back and see us! ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

i think what i wrote came out wrong...I was thinking that a "C-" would mean people got sick and that an "A" would mean it made a great impression on me (because there was so much going on that night - it would have to stand out).  But it wasn't either of those things, so to me it was just average.  :)

i will come back - now that i feel i actually know how this whole thing goes - from start to finish!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think B = Good and C = Average.  Not that it matters.  I'm a ridiculous stickler sometimes, especially when I'm PMSing. LOL ;)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I forgot to mention a few vendors - they are both friends/family, but they did an amazing job and should be recognized...besides, this is what they do for a living!

HAIR/MAKEUP: Dawn Hiller - NY, NY  A++++
    My aunt did the hair and make up for me, my mom, grandmother, flower girl and then touched up the girls.  After all that she got herself ready!  She is easy going and I just love her to pieces.  I was honored to have her there on my wedding day.  I thought she turned me into a beautiful bride if I do say so myself ;)  Not to mention, she was there to keep me looking good all night, even after I cried or was standing in the wind. 

VIDEOGRAPHER: David Hill - Boston, MA http://www.hdsince1980.com/ A+
    Initially we were not going to hire anyone to videotape, but I'm so glad that David offered.  He was on top of things with two video cameras and just made us feel at ease. He was not all up in your face.  He has been doing video for awhile, but is just starting to get into the wedding business.  He is a funny guy and loves what he does.  I can't wait to see the video! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

beautiful slideshow!  the bridesmaid dresses are awesome--so unique!  and i love the centerpieces.  everything looks lovely!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Love the slide show!  Thanks for sharing.  The very last photo made me tear up and I don't even know you guys! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Thanks for sharing!  I love your bouquet and your BM dresses!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Love love love love love love love love LOVE LOVE your bouquets...EXACTLY what I am looking for, for my fall-themed wedding for next fall :)
    Just gorgeous....oh and you, too of course :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

Your gown is absolutely beautiful.  My daughter had met with Lynn and we loved her, but then she became very difficult to get information from.  I am so glad she worked out for you and her flowers are gorgeous.  Congrats

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I thought your cake was very pretty - wonder whether if you had had a bigger wedding and therefore a bigger cake, if you would have been more impressed.....
    flowers were lovely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Lovely video! Got tears in my eyes - thanks for sharing! - Pingo

I thought your cake was very pretty - wonder whether if you had had a bigger wedding and therefore a bigger cake, if you would have been more impressed..... flowers were lovely.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

Sections
Shortcuts