Vendor Review!!!!! 5/23/09 at Brookmeadow Country Club

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Vendor Review!!!!! 5/23/09 at Brookmeadow Country Club

Wow I almost forgot that I get to write a review now!!! I hope this isn't too long. I will post photos if I can figure out how!

Our wedding was on 5/23/09. I can’t believe it's really over! We had a wonderful day and an awesome honeymoon. The wedding really did fly by in a blur but I made sure we ate our dinner and had time for dancing before the night was over. I can't wait to see the photos!!

I know it's kind of boring when someone gives out all A's but everything went really well!

Venue - Brookmeadow Country Club, Canton, MA ~ A

The venue is gorgeous and you have it all to yourself. (Well, except for the golfers.) We had the ceremony outdoors and then the reception indoors with a veranda. The coordinator (Ginger) is a pleasure to work with. The only negative thing I can think of is that the lights weren't dimmed enough for the dancing portion of the evening. I thought it kind of ruined the mood, but didn't care enough to say anything. They probably didn't want us to get too wild on the dance floor! People really enjoyed the veranda, but it turned out to be kind of a bad thing because a lot of people were out there during the father/daughter dance, etc.  www.brookmeadowgolf.com

Catering - Lafayette House Restaurant ~ A/A-

We chose Lafayette from the list of 5 possible caterers. The food was great. They served 5 hors d'oeuvres - crab cakes were especially delicious - and had two stations for veggies, fruit, and cheese. The dinners were filet mignon and chicken piccata. The chicken was only OK - I think it was boiled - but the filet was great and you would not believe the size of it! Had to be at least 10 ounces. (It’s a good thing 112 out of 157 ordered the filet!)

The reason I lean towards A- is for fairly minor issues. The man in charge knows what he's doing and from the beginning we felt that we were in good hands. There were just a few times where he bothered me. I paid for the majority of the wedding myself and I expected to make my own decisions and be treated like an adult. When we "chose" the linens, he basically opened the book way across the table from me - didn't even show it to me - and said we should go with ivory and ivory. The only reason I didn't insist that he hand over the darn book was that was what I had in mind anyway. I like to keep it simple, but it was still obnoxious! One little example, but overall it was a good experience.

Cake - Konditor Meister ~ A

The cake was included in the catering package. We went with their signature strawberry grand marnier cake and also marble with mocha filling. Delicious! Of course we didn’t eat any that night so now I'm looking for an excuse to buy a strawberry grand marnier cake.

Make sure you ask about ALL of the possible choices when you go for your tasting. Once we had chosen, I overheard other guests talking about hazelnut and this and that and I thought to myself, No one said anything about those options! We got the flowers/cake topper from our florist.

Flowers - Tangled Web ~ A

Great job! Jen and I mostly communicated by email and it went well. She was open to all my ideas and also helped me cut the costs. The bouquets were absolutely phenomenal! I wish they didn’t have to die :o( The colors in the centerpieces were a bit more muted than I expected, but I hadn't been specific about the color of each and every type of flower so it was fine. They were still gorgeous!  http://www.the-tangled-web.net/

Photographer - Tara Gurry ~ Waiting for final product, but A so far

Tara did a great job handling our large wedding party - 9 rambunctious groomsmen plus 2 ring bearers plus my 5 girls. I'm so excited to see the photos and choose the shots for our album! We didn't quite get all of the photos that were on the must have list she asked for, but I've heard that from other brides too. (That they had to remember themselves to gather all their cousins for a shot, etc.) As far as I can remember, there is only one must have shot that we didn't get so I'm hoping those folks are in a lot of candids. Tara has increased her prices since we booked, but she's still pretty reasonable. http://www.taragurry.com/

DJ - Curtis Knight Entertainment - Mark Cherone ~ A+

Curtis and Anna were absolutely wonderful to work with. When I asked for a CD of ceremony music to choose from, they sent 10 CDs - I'm not joking! They are just so accommodating and friendly. The price is right as well!

CKE has many DJs to choose from and we went with Mark Cherone. He was really great to work with. We left a few things up in the air until the last minute (mother/son song) and he totally rolled with it. I had some must have songs but also told him I knew he needed to be able to read the crowd and play what would get them going. He did an awesome job! Oh and he put up with my nephew's song requests all night - thanks Mark!!  http://www.curtisknight.com/

Invitations - Shanon Medley on www.etsy.com - A+

I posted a message on Etsy and Shanon had just what I was looking for! She was great to work with. We emailed back and forth many times to adjust fonts and sizes and colors and wording and she was always accommodating. Not to mention that the invitations were really unique and beautiful! They are not currently on the etsy shop below, but they had a green background and then white card stock with a big green hydrangea and green writing with our names in pink. So pretty! I spent about $550 for 120 invitations w/addresses and return address, rsvps w/address, table numbers, and place cards.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6278686

http://www.shanonmedley.com/

Dress - Filene's Basement ~ A++

I bought two dresses for $250 each. One was Mori Lee and the other was Jasmine Haute Couture. I was going to sell one on eBay, but ended up wearing both!! I'll post pictures if I can figure out how to blur my face.

Seamstress - Chris O'Hare in Quincy, MA ~ B-

Chris is really nice, so I hate to post anything negative, but I have to be honest. I was not all that impressed. I'm actually quite shocked at how many rave reviews I have read on here.

My main dress had to be taken apart at the waist to shorten it and you could really tell it had been put back together and you could see all the thread where she sewed the lace/beads back on. The bottom was kind of funky and I had to make sure one of my girls pulled it down flat for the photos so it didn’t bubble up in one spot. I went to Chris's place a total of 4 times. The 4th time, the dress still wasn't quite done and I had to take it off so she could make adjustments. The second dress was for dancing, so she cut off the short train. When I had it pressed, the bottom layer ended up being longer than the sheer top layer - but only on one side for a foot or more.

I did get a great price by going to Chris's - $250 total for both dresses. The downside to that is that she doesn't press them and I ended up paying $200 to get them pressed. I went to Bridals by Valerie in Reading, MA for that and they did a great job.

Honeymoon - Club Med Turkoise in Turks & Caicos - A+

Absolutely fabulous honeymoon!!! We knew from Tripadvisor.com that the rooms were not going to be luxurious, but we got a great all-inclusive deal and we knew the beach would be beautiful and hoped the food would be good. It was exactly what we wanted! The beach was incredible - long with blue water and soft white sand. The food was buffet style and you could always find something good. A restaurant is open three nights as week and that was good too - not great to anyone who has done fine dining, but definitely good. The all-inclusive fee includes tons of activities, so we did snorkeling twice, a sailing trip so Iguana Island, and saw lots of entertainment and dancing every night. They also have a trapeze, but we both wimped out.

I hope all of this fits in one post :o)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Vendor Review!!!!! 5/23/09 at Brookmeadow Country Club

Couple other things -

Sheraton in Braintree, MA was great to work with for the room block.  The only hotel that would let us set up a block AND book only one night on Memorial Day weekend.

HairplaceOne in Quincy, MA is my usual salon, but my stylist left last month.  Laura did my updo instead and she was wonderful to work with.  I could tell from the start that I was in good hands.

Makeup at Origins at the Burlington Mall by Abby.  My makeup trial didn't go so well, so I stopped by the mall for some tips and to buy makeup.  Abby told me she would take care of me on the wedding day and she definitely did!  It took close to two hours, which I wasn't counting on, but I rolled with it.  Can't wait to try out some of the stuff for the weddings I am to attend this summer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Fra, it sounds so amazing!!  Did you love every minute of your wedding? 

I'm sorry to read about your dresses, though. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

So glad to hear about your day Fra!!!

I am sorry about your dresses, but I feel your pain. I am about 10 days out, no dress and I just had to go out and buy new shorter shoes, since they screwed up the hem.

Random question -anyone know how to get hide or get ride of the strapless dress underarm bulge?

I hate that! It's not that I have to lose weight, it's more like my corset is pushing things weird, can I tape something somewhere or what?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Fra, WOOHOO!!!! I am in a wedding at Brookmeadow in August!I am sorry about your dresses but I am so happy you had a fantastic wedding and honeymoon :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Congrats Fra that sounds like a wonderful day. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Yay Fra!!!  Glad you had such a wonderful day & honeymoon!! Thanks for the review!

I can relate about Chris - she is such a sweetie, but I wasn't super impressed.  But in the end, all was well :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Fram - CONGRATULATIONS and welcome back!!!!

Sorry about your dress, but I'm sure it doesn't look weird in photos, only close up.  Speaking of photos, can't wait to see some.

Sounds like a perfect day.  How were the in-laws?!  Hope we helped. :)

Welcome to the old married farrt crowd!!!  (BDC won't let me post that word spelled right - so vulgar of me!)

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]So glad to hear about your day Fra!!! I am sorry about your dresses, but I feel your pain. I am about 10 days out, no dress and I just had to go out and buy new shorter shoes, since they screwed up the hem. Random question -anyone know how to get hide or get ride of the strapless dress underarm bulge? I hate that! It's not that I have to lose weight, it's more like my corset is pushing things weird, can I tape something somewhere or what?
    Posted by ilovebeagles[/QUOTE]

The corset may be a tad too tight if you are bulging.  Try loosening; it doesn't have to be so tight you can't breath to look great.  Also, try a different style corset, a softer, more forgiving body suit type if that doesn't work.  One last thing, it may not be the corset - if the bodice is too tight it will cause that bulging.  Bottom line, your seamstress should be able to fully correct that problem either by adjusting the gown itself or your undergarments.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks ladies!  No worries about the dresses - I definitely didn't let it get me down.  I figured no one would notice anyway.

My favorite moments of the day:

Meeting my father at the end of the aisle.  He isn't a sappy guy but I could tell he was speechless.  Then when the music started playing for the mothers to walk down the aisle, I too lost my breath!  It was the only time I almost cried.  My hubby and I both made it through the day without crying, which was really surprising.

The ceremony. My friend got a one day designation to perform our ceremony and it went so well.  It was shorter than it looked on paper, but he did such an awesome job!!  It was really fun and different.  He took the rings out of the box and then didn't know what to do with it so he tossed it.  Then at the end he ripped up his cue cards and tossed those too.  It set the tone for a fun night :o)

The music was as lovely as I hoped!!  Thanks to you ladies I found great instrumental versions of In My Life, Imagine, and Blackbird.  I'm SO thrilled that he DJ made me a CD of the music.

My new husband almost falling on the cake!  I am NOT exagerating - he came THIS close to losing his balance after we cut the cake.  He turned to walk away and then I called him to take one more posed photo and he lost his balance as he was turning back.  It was hilarious and I have it on video!

My husband calling me on my way to work on our first day back to tell me he missed me already :o)  What a keeper!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I wanna see pictures!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Fra - thanks for sharing your favorite moments!  Sounds like your day was filled with love and fun and made lots of good memories!! :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have to amend my Konditor Meister review and change the grade to A-.  I just realized the cake wasn't entirely right!!  The top tier was supposed to be raised on those little column thingies.  Needless to say I wasn't sweating the small stuff on the day of because it took me almost 2 weeks to notice :o)

I also had a little trouble when I called 2 weeks before the wedding to make sure everything was all set.  I hadn't let them know that the florist would be providing the topper so I wanted to do that for one thing.  The woman on the phone acted like it was the most bizarre call she ever received.  Don't most brides/grooms contact their vendors before the wedding??  Then I got a call 5 days later to confirm all of the things I had already called to confirm!  At least the second woman was very nice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks ladies!  No worries about the dresses - I definitely didn't let it get me down.  I figured no one would notice anyway. My favorite moments of the day: Meeting my father at the end of the aisle.   He isn't a sappy guy but I could tell he was speechless.  Then when the music started playing for the mothers to walk down the aisle, I too lost my breath!  It was the only time I almost cried.  My hubby and I both made it through the day without crying, which was really surprising. The ceremony. My friend got a one day designation to perform our ceremony and it went so well.  It was shorter than it looked on paper, but he did such an awesome job!!  It was really fun and different.  He took the rings out of the box and then didn't know what to do with it so he tossed it.  Then at the end he ripped up his cue cards and tossed those too.  It set the tone for a fun night :o) The music was as lovely as I hoped!!  Thanks to you ladies I found great instrumental versions of In My Life, Imagine, and Blackbird.  I'm SO thrilled that he DJ made me a CD of the music. My new husband almost falling on the cake!   I am NOT exagerating - he came THIS close to losing his balance after we cut the cake.  He turned to walk away and then I called him to take one more posed photo and he lost his balance as he was turning back.  It was hilarious and I have it on video! My husband calling me on my way to work on our first day back to tell me he missed me already :o)  What a keeper!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Wow, great moments, Fram!  I hope you started a tradition here of including the top few in the review posts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Fram, congrats!!!

It sounds like it was a blast! I want to see photos!!!!  I had my cake from Konditor Meister too; wasn't my fav but oh well!!!

(to blur your face - open up in paint if you aren't savy and do the blur tool -but do a Save As!!!! )

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Fra I love the new avatar, but I want to see it biiiigeeerrr!!!! YAY! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Fra - congrats!  sounds like a million things were amazing for your day.  i'm sorry about your seamstress troubles... i'm having troubles with mine as well and it's a bummer.

I"m glad to hear you liked Jen's flowers!!  She'd doing mine next week, and it's so hard to not be able to see them beforehand!

Sorry about the cake trouble - they're doing mine too and I find them a little disorganized when I try to communicate.

Ah well!  It certainly didn't put a damper on your day!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Fra, congratulations....it sounds like a lovely, wonderful day that was well worth waiting for!!!!! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Thanks Cos!!

Believe it or not, I actually forgot a vendor or two.

Photo Booth - Party Booths ~ A

No complaints here.  The photo booth was a hit among our guests!  So much fun!
    We paid $1045 for 6 hours of the classic booth size.  No need to upgrade to the larger booth.  We had groups of 10 in there!  A lot of the other companies charged $795 or $895, but for only 3-4 hours, so this seemed like a decent deal to me. 
    Did not upgrade for the album, etc. either.  I just put out a normal photo album I bought for $10 at Marshall's.  Good enough for me!

Web site

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Congrats Fram! :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy1821. Show judy1821's posts

congrats! sounds like a great day!! Looks like a great pic on your profile..!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Are those your pictures up on her blog for June, 2009?  Bridesmaids in green, right?

GORGEOUS!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Yes!!!  I can't wait to see the rest!  Thanks!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Those are the cutest pictures.  You are very, very photogenic.  Congratulations to you both.  You look very happy and sweet together.  My favorite, is when you are looking at the camera laughing, and he's looking at you... lovely. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

You are beautiful! And your flowers are A-MAZING! I may have to use your florist, seriously, those are some of the most gorgeous bouquets I have ever seen!

And I love your dress, and your hair! You looked gorgeous. I am in a wedding at the Brookmeadow in August, and I have never seen it, now I am excited! :)

Sections
Shortcuts