Vendor Reviews - 10/25/09

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Vendor Reviews - 10/25/09

Thanks to everyone on the boards for their help with the planning!  I'm so excited to write my reviews.  Sorry it's so long!

Venue: Butternut Farm Golf Club in Stow, MA - A
    I can not think of a better venue than Butternut for a New England fall wedding. Nancy and Hope were amazing through the entire planning process and for the entire day of.  I felt so taken care of by Nancy, she was always a step ahead of everyone else and made sure that the wedding party felt taken care of.  The food was amazing and we had mother nature on our side so our ceremony could happen outside on the first tee.

Music: Mike D from Curtis Knight Entertainment - A+
    Mike D was the DJ at my sister's wedding a little over a year ago and he was as fantastic for us as he was for them, but still managed to make it feel like our wedding and not her's.  The online form that Curtis Knight has to choose all the special songs is fantastic and convenient because you can keep going back and editing it until two weeks before the wedding.  We even got a CD at the end of the knight with all our songs.

Photography:  Sierra K Photography (Camden, ME) - A+ (but still waiting on wedding day proofs)
    I just love Sierra, she's young, creative, and very easy to work with.  Only downside I can see in working with her is that she's in Maine so we had to pay for her mileage and a hotel to stay in, but even with that we found her affordable.  The A+ is for our engagement photos and how she worked the day of the wedding.  She just has one picture up on her blog so I might have to update the rating when we get the proofs, but I have a feeling I won't need to!

Invitations: family friend with a small print shop - A

Programs and Seating Chart: Documents and Designs - A
    I loved, loved, loved our programs and matching seating chart.  I didn't like the idea of escot cards to tell people where to sit so we ordered D and D's seating chart to match our programs and had the menu printed in the middle.  Everything matched perfectly and we got a lot of compliments from the guests.  Terri was also really easy to work with and put up with me changing some of the text on the programs about ten times.

Cake: Montillio's - C
    I think Montillio's has the best tasting cake around and at the wedding the cake did taste great, but leading up to then the company was a huge pain to work with. I didn't spend a lot of time looking around for cake vendors because I knew I like Montillio's but now I wish I had.  They kept changing the price every time I or my mother called them.  Then they confirmed a different design with me and my mother...and then didn't do the piping in the right color on the day of.  The cake was still beautiful and everyone loved it, but my mom and I knew it wasn't right.

Tuxes: Men's Warehouse - C
    Everyone knows they're a pain but they're really the only game in town if you have big wedding party with people all over so they were a necessary evil for us.  In the end everything turned out okay, but about half the groomsmen and my husband had to go twice to pick them up because something wasn't right the first time.

Bridal gown and bridesmaid dresses: Precious Memories in Malden - A+++
    I can't say enough about Joyce and Sharon at Precious Memories.  I'm not a big fan of trying on clothes at stores and especially not with someone else in the dressing room with me lacing it up, but Joyce and Sharon made me feel so comfortable and truly beautiful in their dresses.  I settled on a Maggie Sottero for me and beautiful tea length B2 espresso brown dresses for the bmaids.  Joyce even helped me pick out the perfect jewelry set to match the girl's dresses.

Veil: Brenda's Veils on Etsy - A
    Exactly as it was pictured online and looked perfect on the day of.

Hair and Make-Up: Special Day by Carolina - B+
    I really loved the way everyone's hair and make-up turned out, Carolina brough two assistants and was done with 7 of us in about 4 1/2 hours (she even came at 6:30am so we'd have enought time).  The only very small complaint that I had was that I felt the bridesmaids were pressured into paying the extra $15 on the day of for the airbrushing make-up.  I booked a package with the regular make-up and Carolina said she would bring the air brushing just in case someone wanted to add it at the last minute.  I ended up deciding to go with it and then all the bridesmaids somehow ended up with it too.  None of them complained to me, but I feel like they felt they had to get the airbrushing and pay the extra for it.  I would still use Carolina again and recommend her to people, but I'd be up front about the day of add on costs.

Flowers: Frugal Florist in Sudbury - A+
    Allison took my very small reguest of fall-ish looking flowers tied with brown ribbon and mango calla lillies for the guys and ran with it.  I had so many people tell me they were the most beautifal fall flowers they've ever seen.  She was also great with helping us find arrangements we could repurpose from the ceremony to the reception.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Re: Vendor Reviews - 10/25/09

sounds like a wonderful wedding!!  congratulations!!  What is airbrushing on the makeup at the end?  What does it add/do?  Just curious...  I'm having my makeup done for the first time at my wedding.. I do wear makeup every day though, just never heard of airbrushing and sounds interesting. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stacyg. Show Stacyg's posts

Hi Mo:

I too bought my dress at Precious Memories in Malden and thought they were really great to work with.  Just wondering if you got your alterations there too?  If so were they expensive?

Thanks

Stacy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Hi Jan - the airbrushing was a foundation type thing that is used for movies and models and won't come off for 20 hours and melt under strong lights.  It did look really good at the end, I just felt bad that the girls had to pay another $15 and I wasn't prepared to pay for it for them.

Stacy - My dress had a corset back and I'm 5'8" so I didn't have to have any alternations done other than the bustle and I picked the cheaper of the two options Joyce gave me for the dress and it was $60.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I bought my dress at PM and so far I have loved them! Joyce was a pleasure to work with.  I honestly went in to just "look" around with my mother one night a couple weeks ago, and tried on about 15 Maggie dresses and fell IN LOVE with the Greta, so I couldn't help but buy it. Joyce was SO nice, and I didn't even have an appointment. I highly recommend that shop to ANYONE.

Mo...your wedding sounds amazing. I too, am having a "fall-themed" wedding next fall. Maybe we can trade ideas, or well, I can see some of you pics?

:)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Liz!  I didn't know you bought your dress!  I thought you were going shopping after the holidays.  I'm hitting PM on Saturday and I'm so excited!

Also: is airbrushed makeup worth the price?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

The airbrushed sounds so cool!!  thanks for the tip.. I'm going to ask about it!!  :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I did airbrush  (also used  Carolina's team) and I loved it. It was nice and light and lasted all day - i think it was worth it but I agree all my girls wound up getting both the airbrush and fake lashes the day of. It did sort of feel like a lot of pressure but no one complained either.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from candice211. Show candice211's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Reviews - 10/25/09:
    your wedding sounds amazing!!!  i am planning a wedding for fall 2011 and your flowers sound so cool.  would be able to post a picture???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stacyg. Show Stacyg's posts

In Response to Re: Vendor Reviews - 10/25/09:
    Stacy - My dress had a corset back and I'm 5'8" so I didn't have to have any alternations done other than the bustle and I picked the cheaper of the two options Joyce gave me for the dress and it was $60.
    Posted by Mo41083

Hi Mo:  Thanks.  My dress is also a corset back, but I bought it a few sizes too big and she said it'll also require a french bustle.  $60 def. isn't bad.  Did they clean and press your dress for that price too?  Sorry for so many quesitons.

Stacy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

At the end of the day do you think Carolina was worth the price?  I am very torn on who to book for hair and makeup, but I am currently living in DC so I can't meet this particular vendor before signing on.  I thought I had gotten over sticker shock by now until I started researching this as well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Update!  I recieved the proofs from the wedding and the pictures came out amazing!  Sierra's grade of A+ stays! 

Sorry I didn't realize sooner there were more questions on this post.  DH just got a new puppy and she's been taking up all our time!  I hope these answers help.

Liz - I'd love to swap ideas, I had so much fun with the fall theme!
    Candice - Here's her blog entry on our wedding for some pictures of the flowers. www.sierrakphotography.com/blog
    Stacey - Yup, the $60 was for the bustle (only three buttons) and the pressing.  I don't think that they had to clean it, but they might have.
    Megs - Carolina was definitely worth it.  I would use her again in a second, but I'd just be more up front about the air brushing.  One of my bridesmaids has already booked her for her wedding in May 2010 and  I think she just booked the airbrushing package up front so there'd be no confusion on the day of.