Venue ~ Boston Area, Good Value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtharb. Show mtharb's posts

Venue ~ Boston Area, Good Value

Hi All,

I'm recently engaged and looking to plan a wedding in Sep or Oct of 2011.  Probably looking at 125 for the guest list.  I want to keep the wedding recently priced.  I've been trying to dig into older posts about venues to get a few ideas but I feel pretty overwhelmed.  The church I'm getting married in is in Jamaica Plain in Boston.  Looking for a venue within a 30 minute drive, and would like to keep the WHOLE reception (venue fee & food & alochol if possible) at around $75/person.  ANY suggestions welcome. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Venue ~ Boston Area, Good Value

A couple of ideas off the top of my head:

Boston Exchange Conference Center down by the seaport

Florian Hall in Dorchester

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is Sudbury 30 minutes from JP?  If so, the Wayside Inn is reasonably priced because it's a historic landmark and they are non-profit (note the .org address).  We had our ceremony and reception there with a sit-down choice of meals so it was more expensive, but if you just have a reception and a buffet, I think it would be in your price range.

www.wayside.org

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I know the Milky Way in JP used to host receptions and were pretty reasonably priced. Of course since then they've changed locations and some other stuff, so you'd have to check their website to be sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtharb. Show mtharb's posts

kargiver, your previous posts actually gave me the idea to look there.  their prices seem reasonable, especially if i stick to september (or go later into the fall like nov) and use the main dining room as opposed to the tent.  the main room is a $1k rental while the tent is $5k.  for some reason, the main room isn't available in october.  oh well, i guess i have to be flexible with a small budget. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Venezia on Dorchester/Quincy line.  It's on the water, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on your engagement, mtharb, by the way!  Glad my ramblings about our venue helped. :) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Sudbury is more than a 30 minute drive from JP...JP is one of boston's neighborhood...

while you're in JP, i'd recommend dedham/norwood...check the hotels...Holiday Inn, Dedham Hilton...Four points or Ramada Inn in Norwood also concannon's in Norwood...many have packages...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I got married at the Museum of Science, outside on the pavilion in the summer.  But they do have a ballroom, with a skyline view. It holds 120 I believe.  The meals were reasonably priced, not sure about the room rental.  Here's the link:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

a friend of mine took a tour of Venezia and the first thing the catering manager told her was "just so you know, we have a $20,000 minimum for food and drinks". Kind of a turn off.

Check out the Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center. It's really reasonable on off nights and it's a beautiful room.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

another idea relatively close to JP...Phillips Old Colony House on Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester...Phillips Candy House next door would make great favors 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtharb. Show mtharb's posts

Thanks for all your suggestions!  Has anyone had experience with Endicott Estates in Dedham? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been to Endicott for a work gathering, and it's beautiful.  Lovely rolling hills, easy parking, easy to get there.  Sorry, those are the only details I remember; it was a good 10 years ago.

Sorry, by the way, I didn't read well enough to gather you can't have the Wayside because the main dining room is not available.  Too bad!

Good luck!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

mtharb - we looked at Endicott for a venue and weren't impressed... if you're interested, definitely make an appointmnet to go look.  I can't remember all the details, but I may have written something up about it and will post if I can find.

I remember for our wedding (we estimated about 135 guests when planning), to have it there we would have had to have people eat in different parts of the house, then the dancing was in a strange location - I think the foyer.  I believe there was a tent option as well.  I remember thinking it looked and smelled old in the house.  I was disappointed because I've always thought it is such a pretty spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Endicott can be pricey...i'd be nervous if you went with the tent option and it rained.  food, apps & liquor can cost you though..

Sections
Shortcuts