WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Re: WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM

I am guessing this is the website. Please direct me to the part where it says you will definitely be a volunteer...  http://www.improvasylum.com/home

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

No, all complaints about A BUSINESS OR SERVICE PROVIDER are valid.
    Posted by pinkkittie18

Even ones with no basis?? Come on now. You buy tickets to a show. A show that has an audience volunteer. She said herself she hoped to be the volunteer. She wasn't. She threw a hissy fit like a 5 yr old. I actually think the IA responded well. It is so sickening to have worked in customer service, have customers who are wrong and out of control screaming and swearing at you, and have management cater to the rude customers. Management should stand up for their employees when treated rudely. The OP swore at the IA employee. Personally, I think they are being generous giving her free tickets. They should not have even done that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It's management's job to cater to customers, rude or not. It's customer service's job to answer complaints, however they are phrased or expressed, in a professional manner.
    Attitude from a customer service rep is not acceptable. Any customer service job I've had, if I had given that kind of attitude to any customer, I would have been fired. Ever heard the phrase "the customer is always right", good customer service reps take that to heart and act accordingly. It's no skin off your nose if she gets free tickets, so why should it matter?
    In the end, it's always int he business' interest to placate a customer, even if their initial expectation might have been too high. Just like how you'll get free food if you complain to McDonald's about poor service. On one hand, maybe you were expecting too much from a 16 year old making minimum wage, on the other hand, everyone deserves good customer service, no matter what.
    It's a matter of principal.

When someone isn't doing their job, they should have to answer for it.

It is so sickening to have worked in customer service, have customers who are wrong and out of control screaming and swearing at you, and have management cater to the rude customers. Management should stand up for their employees when treated rudely. The OP swore at the IA employee. Personally, I think they are being generous giving her free tickets. They should not have even done that.
    Posted by Missy509

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Sorry pinkie, but when an employee is disrespected, name called, insulted, etc for doing their job properly, the customer should not be rewarded. Do you really think that when a customer walks into a restaraunt, goes up to the hostess and asks how long the wait is, are told it is an hour, then suddenly the customer says they called ahead, they give a name that is not on the list, they are told this, then they yell and scream at the hostess, a manager comes over and seats this person and gives them free appetizers and desserts for their trouble? Meanwhile, everyone else is sitting waiting patiently while this person who just lied sits down right away? NO. They should not be catered to. All it does is reinforce this behavior. It is unacceptable. Management should not put up with customers who are out of line disresepcting their employees who did nothing wrong.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Sorry, you cannot convince me that customer service reps shouldn't do their jobs. If they give attitude, they're not doing it properly.
    I have a job, and I do it. If the responsibilities of my job make me uncomfortable, or if I don't like dealing with the kind of people that come with it, then I'd have to get a new job. There's really no excuse.
    You're getting paid to deal with customers, ALL customers, not just the ones you like.
    I've been to restaurants where that exact thing happened. It's better for the restaurant to seat that person and avoid a scene and a complaint.
    I've been in the position of both the customer service rep and the manager. It's just your job to deal with those people. If you can't, get another job.

People who exhibit such behavior are doing to act that way regardless of wether you give them what they want or not. I've seen it firsthand. So, there's really no way of teaching them a lesson. If they already feel entitled, good luck trying to prove to them that they aren't. Honestly, it's not worth the fight. Like I said, it's no skin off your nose if they get something for free. That one free ticket or meal usually results in wonderful word of mouth from that upset person, who will also return your business. Any customer that causes a scene like that and is given A++ customer service becomes that business' biggest cheeleader. I've seen it a million times.
    You can either give them attitude, lose their business and the business of their friends and family, and make yourself look badly as a professional- OR, you can give them what they want, and look like stellar professional for not only providing good service, but displaying your ability to please even the toughest of customers.
    The latter is a sign of a top notch business, that which can please even those with the most unrealistic expectations. THAT is a business I want to do busines with.

One question you will always be asked when interviewing for a customer service position "How do you deal with an unhappy customer? can you give us an example?"
    I've been screamed at, sworn at and insulted. I never batted an eyelash. That person isn't really upset with you, they're upset with the place you work and the situation. Your job is to make them understand that by doing your job and solving their problem. What you don't do is confirm their belief that you can't do your job by giving them attitude. Every single one fo those people who sreamed, swore or insulted me, I solved thweir problem, got them whatt hey wanted, and int he end they thanked me profusely and sung my praises. That was extremely gratifying, and it earned me many raises and promotions.

Sorry pinkie, but when an employee is disrespected, name called, insulted, etc for doing their job properly, the customer should not be rewarded. Do you really think that when a customer walks into a restaraunt, goes up to the hostess and asks how long the wait is, are told it is an hour, then suddenly the customer says they called ahead, they give a name that is not on the list, they are told this, then they yell and scream at the hostess, a manager comes over and seats this person and gives them free appetizers and desserts for their trouble? Meanwhile, everyone else is sitting waiting patiently while this person who just lied sits down right away? NO. They should not be catered to. All it does is reinforce this behavior. It is unacceptable. Management should not put up with customers who are out of line disresepcting their employees who did nothing wrong.  
    Posted by Missy509

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I've been to restaurants where that exact thing happened. It's better for the restaurant to seat that person and avoid a scene and a complaint. - pink

Pink, I cannot even believe you would say such a thing! Really? This person should get free food and get to skip the line for being rude, talking down to the employee, and swearing? Give me a break! If anything, the restaraunt receives more complaints and loses more customers in the future from the people who are watching this and getting angry. Would you prefer to have the rude customer return, or all of the ones who wait their turn patiently and actually treat the staff with respect and pay their own bill?? This thinking of yours is exactly why rude people get away with what they do.

The OP was indeed out of line to get so angry and to swear at the employee. if she was upset she did not get chosen, she could have calmly discussed it with management, where the confusion issue would have been realized. But to get angry and swear and yell at the staff? UNACCEPTABLE.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Every single one fo those people who sreamed, swore or insulted me, I solved thweir problem, got them whatt hey wanted - Pink

Pink, what you did, was encourage their behavior. The next time this person is not happy, regardless if they are right or if they are in the wrong, they will yell, scream and swear again until they get what they want. This is why society is the way it is today.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Touché!  I agree with you, pinkkittie.  The worst thing to do to an irate customer is to make them feel you are not helping them out, giving them attitude, etc.  That's the WORST THING!  If that irate customer feels that you are doing what you can to assist with their situation, then they'll feel validated and probably foolish for making such a big stink in the first place.  The whole job of a customer service person is just that, in it of itself to HELP THE CUSTOMER. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Pink, how do you answer this one...you are working in a grocery store at the service desk. Someone brings you a shaws product they want to return. This is stop and shop. When you tell them they are at the wrong store, they yell and scream and swear at you. And yes, this situation does happen. Do you take the product, give them cash, and send them on their merry way, just to make them happy? Or do you stand up for yourself and not let the store lose money and tell them they must go to the correct store? My guess, you would refund the customer for the money for the item bought at the different store.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

What you're suggesting wouldn't be acceptable in ANY other profession:
    Okay- so, I come into work, and my boss hands me a project. She's not nice about it.
    That doesn't excuse me from working on that project.
    That's not an excuse to put less effort into the project.
    It's not an excuse to do my job badly, just because someone else wasn't nice to me.
    Even if I register a complaint with HR about her behavior, it IN NO WAY excuses me from working on that project or delivering a performance consistent with my history.
    Working with people wo s*ck happens in every profession, it doesn't make it okay for you to s*ck at your job. In restaurants and such you can only be thankful that it's not someone you see every day.

Did you not read what I said about people behaving that way regardless of how one reacts? If you don't put up with it and turn it around,t hey'll find someone else that will. Most likely one of your competeors. Your competetor then gets a reputationf or being able to please even the most difficult customers, you, on the other hand, get the reputation of returning bad attitude to your customers.

YOU CAN'T FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!
    You can't fight rudeness with rudeness. You can't fight anger with anger.
    You fight it it by being, calm, cool, and collected.

Every single one fo those people who sreamed, swore or insulted me, I solved thweir problem, got them whatt hey wanted - Pink Pink, what you did, was encourage their behavior. The next time this person is not happy, regardless if they are right or if they are in the wrong, they will yell, scream and swear again until they get what they want. This is why society is the way it is today.
    Posted by Missy509

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Touché!  I agree with you, pinkkittie.  The worst thing to do to an irate customer is to make them feel you are not helping them out, giving them attitude, etc.  That's the WORST THING!  If that irate customer feels that you are doing what you can to assist with their situation, then they'll feel validated and probably foolish for making such a big stink in the first place.  The whole job of a customer service person is just that, in it of itself to HELP THE CUSTOMER. 
    Posted by Goodness1

Have you worked in customer service? Have you been sworn at? Have you had to seat a customer who walked in and screamed at you while other polite people waited an hour for their food? Do you think that is fair to everyone else? What if everyone stood up and swore at you? Gonna find a table for all of them? Come on now.  There is a tactful way to tell a customer who is wrong NO. Catering to a rude customer encourages repeat behavior. I can tell you I have loved being the hostess in the situation, as well as waiting my hour on the bench while starving while some as$ monkely got to sit right away. You think that is fair? You wouldn't care? How about when at a restaraunt that requires reservations? You think it is fair to give them your reservation? Now there may not be a talbe for you for hours because the place is booked solid. Seriously already. There is no excuse for the behavior and it should NOT BE REWARDED!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

What you're suggesting wouldn't be acceptable in ANY other profession: Okay- so, I come into work, and my boss hands me a project. She's not nice about it. That doesn't excuse me from working on that project. That's not an excuse to put less effort into the project. It's not an excuse to do my job badly, just because someone else wasn't nice to me. Even if I register a complaint with HR about her behavior, it IN NO WAY excuses me from working on that project or delivering a performance consistent with my history. Working with people wo s*ck happens in every profession, it doesn't make it okay for you to s*ck at your job. In restaurants and such you can only be thankful that it's not someone you see every day. Did you not read what I said about people behaving that way regardless of how one reacts? If you don't put up with it and turn it around,t hey'll find someone else that will. Most likely one of your competeors. Your competetor then gets a reputationf or being able to please even the most difficult customers, you, on the other hand, get the reputation of returning bad attitude to your customers. YOU CAN'T FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE! You can't fight rudeness with rudeness. You can't fight anger with anger. You fight it it by being, calm, cool, and collected.
    Posted by pinkkittie18

Pink, your boss is not a customer off the street. And yes, if your boss swore at you, you would go to HR and they will handle the situation. No one said if a customer swears at you you must swear back. Tactfully tell the person who is demanding to sit right away at a table that is swearing at you that they will have to wait the hour like everyone else. If they refuse, they can leave the restaraunt. Rewarding them by allowing them to skip the line is not acceptable.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I worked at Sephora. People used to bring in products from nordstoms, Saks, etc. We'd say "I don't believe we carry this product, are you sure you purchased it here?"
    If they say yes, you take it back. With a smile. I did this many times. Those people always ended up spending money at our store, sometimes more than the value of what they returned. Witnesses were so impressed by our customer service that they'd spend more, or sing our praises.

No one ever swore at us or yelled, because we never let it escalate to that point.

Pink, how do you answer this one...you are working in a grocery store at the service desk. Someone brings you a shaws product they want to return. This is stop and shop. When you tell them they are at the wrong store, they yell and scream and swear at you. And yes, this situation does happen. Do you take the product, give them cash, and send them on their merry way, just to make them happy? Or do you stand up for yourself and not let the store lose money and tell them they must go to the correct store? My guess, you would refund the customer for the money for the item bought at the different store.
    Posted by Missy509

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

but my point is that even if my boss behaves badly towards me, it doesn't excuse me from doing my job and doing it well.
    Just as if a customer treats you badly, it doesn't excuse you from doing your job. CUSTOMER SERVICE, you SERVE CUSTOMERS, not just the nice ones, not just the polite ones, not just the ones you like ALL OF THEM!!
    If you can't provide good SERVICE to ALL CUSTOMERS then why do you work in CUSTOMER SERVICE?????

If you're in customer service, you work with customers. I work in an office, I work with my boss. If my boss is not easy to deal with, I need to decide wether or not I want to work in my office. If your customers are not easy to deal with, you need to decide wether or not you want to work there anymore.

Pink, your boss is not a customer off the street. And yes, if your boss swore at you, you would go to HR and they will handle the situation. No one said if a customer swears at you you must swear back. Tactfully tell the person who is demanding to sit right away at a table that is swearing at you that they will have to wait the hour like everyone else. If they refuse, they can leave the restaraunt. Rewarding them by allowing them to skip the line is not acceptable.
    Posted by Missy509

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I actually have worked in customer service.  I have been sworn at.  I have been screamed at.  I have been made to feel like a fool.  I have been called names.  I have been working since I was 13 years old, and being that young starting out, one HAS to work in customer service.  I've been called a moron at the YOUNG AGE of 14 because I didn't get the price right for someone who purchasing a bottle of shampoo at Walgreens.  So yeah, I have had all the worst experiences ONE CAN HAVE!  No, I didn't not say that I went above and beyond to make this person feel special or catered to them in any way.  If the situation got bad, I got the manager.  I would try to calm the customer down.  Don't get me wrong, I would not stand being called names, sworn at, etc.  I would tell them that I am not the appropriate person to help, and get the manager.  I would make sure that the manager was the one to help because it was NOT MY PLACE to tell anything to the customer. 

Do I think that it's appropriate to SCREAM AND SWEAR back at a customer.  NO WAY IN HE**. 

Besides, you get more flies with honey.  Why should I stoop down to someone's awful level???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

You're getting rewarded too. If you seat them, they will sit down and shut up. if you don't, then you'll be hearing it from them, from your manager when they ask for them,a nd then corporate if the complaint gets that far. I'd rather one rude complaint from a customer tha 4 or 5 complaints fromt he chain of command about how a customer was upset and I didn't do my job to serve them.

Rewarding them by allowing them to skip the line is not acceptable.
    Posted by Missy509

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Life is so short.  And, with the economy being the way it is right now, businesses should be bending over backwards to keep their customers.  Without them, they'd go broke!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BananaD123. Show BananaD123's posts

Wow, someones taking this way too personally hahaha. Seriously. Anyway, I have an old friend (no longer friends) and she was so freaking cheap, she caused a scene and complained about everything to get things for free. But those places didnt know this. You have to draw the line. Seriously. I dont think the bride did this at the improv asylum - but still.

Anyway, this isnt a blow to your personal experience in customer service - its not a big deal!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'm in no way saying that swearing, yelling or causing a scene is okay. It's not, but that's for private citizens and etiquette coaches to deal with. As a professional, it's not your job to try and convert the unwashed- as such is usually impossible.
    As long as you're doing your job, to the best of your ability, that's all that matters. How your customer behaves doesn't matter at all.
    BUT the way a customer behaves should not effect how you do your job.

A polite customer can get horrible customer service, a rude customer can get good customer service. The way you conduct yourself is not grounds for a professional to shirk their responsibility.

Was her swearing or yelling at the manager okay? No.
    Was the woman from corporate right to give her attitude? No.
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I know this wasn't directed at me, btu I cannot help but respond to it:

"There is a tactful way to tell a customer who is wrong NO."
     Yes, tactful. That means not giving them attitude. And if you're going to say no, it'd better be because it is outright impossible to please them- they'd have to be asking for a dodo bird's breast to eat. Otherwise, you do everything in your power to placate them. If you cannot, you call the person in your company who can. That's going above and beyond. That's good customer service.

"Catering to a rude customer encourages repeat behavior."
     Thsi isn't true. Does bad customer service encourage you to act rudely? Most certainly not. Would bad customer service encourage them to be more polite next time? No, because you were rude to them in turn, which tells them that other people act rudely too and that it's okay.

"I can tell you I have loved being the hostess in the situation"
    Why? Can't take the heat? Get out of the kitchen.

"waiting my hour on the bench while starving while some as$ monkely got to sit right away. You think that is fair? You wouldn't care?"
    If I was upset about it, I would complain. Then, I would be seated immediately or otherwise accommodated, just as the complainer in front of me was.

As far as places that require reservations: they honor them. They will not give your table to another guest. They will accomodate an upset customer. If they cannot seat them then, then they will give then a gift certificate and a reservation for another night when they can accomodate them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I have worked with customers/clients for years.   If one starts swearing at me, I quietly say, "I'd like to ask my manager to join us, or would you prefer to call back (or come back) when you're feeling calmer."  No employer has EVER had a problem with this approach.  

No one has the right to abuse someone else.  Companies that permit customers to abuse their employees are short-sighted at best. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't think anyone from either side has the right to scream/swear/abuse.  That goes without saying.  But, if someone is doing any of the abusing, I would tell them that it is in no way appropriate to speak in that respect, and ask them to discontinue. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

No one has the right to abuse someone else.  Companies that permit customers to abuse their employees are short-sighted at best. 
    Posted by cosmogirl

ditto ditto ditto!!!!

I have worked in 2 restaraunts. Very different atmospheres. One catered to the rude customer. Always sat the yellers and swearers over those who patiently waited their turn, always comped the food for people who ate their entire meals but yet then complained how terrible it was etc. And of course, those exact same people continued to come back, and continued to cause the same scenes which resulted in being sat right away and getting a free meal. To anyone who thinks that this approach gets repeat customers and prevents complaints from corporate, you are out of your mind. It gets repeat rude customers because their behavior has been rewarded, while those who are patient, polite and do what they are supposed to, are not return customers. This results in terrible clientel, as well as high turnover for employees.

I worked in a second restaraunt after this. The manager did not put up with customers like this. Do you know what would happen if someone caused a scene like this in his restaraunt? The person was told to leave and to not return. Watching and waiting customers would praise this response from management and would state how annoying it was to see this put up with in other places. The end result? We had customers who were polite, did not cause scenes, and paid for their meals with their money instead of it being comped by the restaraunt. This creates a restaraunt that can survive (if you constantly give free food away, u are not making any money) creates little turnover because employees want to work where they are respected, and brings in the clientel you want. Overall, a happy work environment, which creates a nice dining experience for all.

So, if you are too weak to tell someone in a professional and calm manner that their tone of voice and choice of words are not appropriate and will not be tolerated in your business and that if they continue they will be asked to leave, and if they do not, they can be escorted out by a police officer, who trust me, do come and arrest people for thsi type of behavior, and you instead choose the short route of catering to rude people like this, then that is doing your job, and doing it poorly.

Customer service is about serving the customers. By giving those who are rude, swear and yell at you whatever they want (skipping lines, free food, etc) you are NOT serving the calm polite customers who do what they are supposed to. So you are choosing to serve the jerks instead. If that is what you choose, that is what you will deal with on a daily basis because they will continue to return, while the others will not. I have seen it as both a customer and as an employee.

Who knows what the OP is like. However, she did flat out state in her first post she was excited for the chance to do a skit. She knew she wasnt guaranteed one. But she flipped out yelled and swore anyway. She sounds like a spoiled little brat. Instead of being greatful for the night her friends put together for her, she finds something to b!tch about. Get over yourself OP. So yes, the IA went above and beyond their duties by giving her more free tickets, and by telling her her behavior would not be appreciated at her next appearance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

No. No. No.

The customer service rep in this situation did not act in a calm, collected manner. She gave the OP attitude.

It is not okay to give a customer attitude. Especially if you are not ther person she was rude to. OP was never rude tot he woman from corporate, she was rude to the manager who gave her corporate's number. OP apologized for her rudeness. The woman from corporate gave her attitude. NOT OKAY!

I understand that it's not okay to be rude, loud or vulgar with anyone. But it is 100% completely and utterly dispicable to be rude to someone while you are being paid to serve them!!!

So, while it was wrong of OP to be rude to the manager, the woman from corporate was so much more in the wrong to be rude to OP because as a customer service representative she is being PAID to act in a professional manner.

I understand that you feel it's not in a business' interest to serve customers who are upset. I strongly disagree, as I have never had a repeat offender in the complaints departmant. BUT THIS IS BESIDES THE ISSUE.
    You are advocating refusing a rude customer in a PROFESSIONAL MANNER.
    The customer service rep in this case treated a customer in an UNPROFESSIONAL MANNER.

I fail to see why you continue to argue me, as it seems your argument is entirely besides the point.

My argument is that rudeness is never okay, MOST SO IN THE CASE OF THOSE WHO ARE PAID TO DO OTHERWISE!
    As a customer service rep you are PAID to be POLITE. If a customer is rude, and your company's policy is to refuse these customers, then you refuse them POLITELY.
    The customer service rep in question, clearly her company's policy is to placate upset customers. It is her job to do so POLITELY regardless of the way a customer behaves. She did not. She gave OP attitude.

What part of this do you not understand?

So, if you are too weak to tell someone in a professional and calm manner that their tone of voice and choice of words are not appropriate and will not be tolerated in your business and that if they continue they will be asked to leave, and if they do not, they can be escorted out by a police officer, who trust me, do come and arrest people for thsi type of behavior, and you instead choose the short route of catering to rude people like this, then that is doing your job, and doing it poorly. Customer service is about serving the customers. By giving those who are rude, swear and yell at you whatever they want (skipping lines, free food, etc) you are NOT serving the calm polite customers who do what they are supposed to. So you are choosing to serve the jerks instead. If that is what you choose, that is what you will deal with on a daily basis because they will continue to return, while the others will not. I have seen it as both a customer and as an employee. Who knows what the OP is like. However, she did flat out state in her first post she was excited for the chance to do a skit. She knew she wasnt guaranteed one. But she flipped out yelled and swore anyway. She sounds like a spoiled little brat. Instead of being greatful for the night her friends put together for her, she finds something to b!tch about. Get over yourself OP. So yes, the IA went above and beyond their duties by giving her more free tickets, and by telling her her behavior would not be appreciated at her next appearance.
    Posted by Missy509

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It is much stronger to be able to behave in a professional and helpful manner in the face of rudness, vulgarity and yelling than it is to simply say "No."
    You have chosen the path of least resistence by refusing to help upset customers.

I fail to see how helping an upset customer affects polite customers in any way.
    The only case might be the one where an upset patron is seated before patron who are waiting quietly. As I said, the best thing to do int hat scenario is offer the upset patron a dinner on a night when you can accomodate them.
    NEVER, in any of my customer service jobs in 8 long years of retail, did serving a customer who was upset and behaving rudely have any negative impact whatsoever on the other customers.
    And NEVER has it reflected poorly on an employer to have employees that can help difficult customers.
    Your assumption is that all upset customers behaving rudely have unfounded complaints. I find this usually not the case. Usually, they have a legit complaint, but are frustrated and upset and cannot express it in a calm manner. This is why you first calm them down, ask what the problem is, and then ask what you can do to help. If you cannot help them, you direct them to those who can.

Sections
Shortcuts