WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Re: WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM

no, there is no time to dig out the phone book and begin calling other restaraunts to make a reservation for another customer. that is unrealistic unless you are way overstaffed in the hostess department. if it was slow, sure u could do that. then again, if it was a slow night, you could also have sat them in the first place. as a hostess who neds to be aware of when tables open, seating guests and answering the phone, no, there is no time. however, you can suggest local restaraunts nearby that they can stop by and see if they can be accomodated there."
    Good customer sevice reps always make time for their customers.

"and no one ever said u tell someone to leave right away. what was said was when people are acting inappropriately, yelling, screaming, swearing, etc, yes, u tell them their behavior is not acceptable and you ask them to leave."
    If you do not try to calm them and help them, then yes, you are tellign them to leave right away.
    Again, if they are that upset because your service was sub-par, then I believe you are obligated to help them. I know you feel you an your staff are infallible, but this not the case and MOST upset custoemrs are upset fro a very good reason. If you are int he ahbit of p*ssing off your custoemrs and them telling them to leave when they get upset,t hen I don't know how you stay in business.

"nowhere did i ever say the customer service rep was giving an attitude. you assumed that."
     actually, in the OP, you know THE BASIS OF THE THREAD, the customer service rep WAS giving OP attitude. And all I was sayign is that that was not okay. You were arguign otherwise, so I assumed you were arguing that it's okay for staff to give a rude custoemr attitude WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE OP. Silly me.

"but, if you allow customers to swear at your staff and you cater to them, then you are weak."
    But ASSISTING upset and angry customers, I make them happy. This STOPS the rude behavior. I make them understand that their insults are unfounded by providing them excellent service inspit of their behavior. Being able to turn a yelling, angry, swearing customer into a pleased, happy, repeat customer is MUCH stronger than tellign them to leave.
    By washing your hands of every custoemr that gets upset you are being weak. I'm sorry you cannot handle an upset customer. I'm sorry that you think that showing an upset customer the door instead of helping them is strength.
    Being able to act professionally, no matter how customer acts, makes me strong.
    You are unable to act professionally if a csutomer yells at you. YOU ARE WEAK.

"again, it is the same thing as giving in to a screaming kid and letting them have the candy bar they want instead of telling them their inappropriate behavior will not be rewarded."
    No, it's not like that. If it were like that then when you told a rude customer leave, they would come back later, apologize and give you business.
    THAT NEVER HAPPENS. Your business is then punished by losing the business of that customer and the business of their family and friends.

I help an upset customer, they come back again and again. They might even apologize for their behavior.

I am REWARDED for MY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE by winning the business of not only that once-rude-but-now-happy customer and ALL tehir family and friends!

YOU are PUNISHED by YOUR BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE by LOSING the BUSINESS of every customer you're too WEAK to handle, and that of their friends and family as well!

I know by now that the concept of going above and beyond for your customers escapes you. If you grasped that concept, you'd be an excellent customer service agent that anyone would be happy to hire.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I never said I wouldn't immediately seat ANY customer that said they had reservations.
    I would seat ANY customer who claimed they had reservations as quickly as I could and in order of their arrival.
    In fact, that is the basis for my entire argument: That YOU feel only SOME customers deserve good customer service.
    I think ALL customers deserve good customer service.
    Accross the board.
    There is nothing I would do for one upset customer that I wouldn't do for ANY OTHER UPSET CUSTOMER regardless of the way they conduct themselves.
    That's the difference between you and me.

You lose two people's reservations.
    One complains politely.
    The other loses their temper because it was an important dinner they had been planning for months.
    IN YOUR BUSINESS, you'd kick out the rude customer, and seat the other. Even though the fault could have been yours in BOTH cases, You REFUSE to help the upset and angry customer simply because he was human, and lost his temper. So now not only was his evening ruined by no fault of his own, but you refused to even help him because he was very upset!
    Nice business you run!

In my business, I would help and seat both to the best of my ability, apologize for the confusion, and make them happy.
    YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME THAT HELPING ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS AND RESOLVING THEIR COMPLAINTS IS A BAD THING TO DO.

YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME THAT KICKING OUT A COMPLAINING CUSTOMER IS THE BEST CASE SCENARIO OR THE BEST OPTION FOR MY BUSINESS.

YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME YOU KNOW THE FIRST DARN THING ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE BECAUSE YOU HAVE EFFECTIVELY PROVEN OTEHRWISE!

[QUOTE]and yes, pink, if someone comes into ure place of restaraunt and says they called ahead and you tell them their name isnt on the list and they quietly say ok, and you add them to the end of the list and they sit down and wait the hour that is one thing. if a guest comes to a restaraunt and says they called ahead and u tell them their name is not on the list but you can add them to the end of the list, and they swear at you etc and you seat them immediately, then yes, you have rewarded the negative behavior. you did not seat the person who acted appropriately, did you? nope. that poor schmuk is out of luck for being polite! nice business you run...
    Posted by Missy509[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

Wow.  Talk  about getting off topic and all riled up over a small thing.

Just a note about the BBB.  When I first started my business I received a phone call from them, thought it was nice.  Then they told me I couldn't join the BBB because I hadn't been in business for 1yr+ yet.  Okay, then they told me they'd call back after a year and what the FEE was to be one of their businesses.  Yes my dears, the BBB is nothing but a company that charges other companies to use it's logo. True, if you have multiple complaints against you you can't use the logo, but, the only thing you have to do to get it is be in business for 1 year and pay.  If you think about it, I've heard more times that people complained to the BBB and nothing came of it. 

I have all of these catty comments that I want to make and I'm just going to hold my tongue.  Wow.  I am so glad I no longer work directly with customers. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

no, there is no time to dig out the phone book and begin calling other restaraunts to make a reservation for another customer. that is unrealistic unless you are way overstaffed in the hostess department. if it was slow, sure u could do that. then again, if it was a slow night, you could also have sat them in the first place. as a hostess who neds to be aware of when tables open, seating guests and answering the phone, no, there is no time. however, you can suggest local restaraunts nearby that they can stop by and see if they can be accomodated there." - Missy

Good customer sevice reps always make time for their customers.- Pink

Okay Pink, well, while the hostess figures out where these adults can go eat dinner, I hope you as the next waiting customer do not mind sitting there for another 15 minutes or so waiting and the reservation times back up b/c the hostess was busy helping these people who swore at her. if the 530pm resi's arent seated right away, but are seated late, that also pushes back the next ones, etc etc. all because u insisted that the hostess describe all the nearby restaraunts to these swearing customers and then see if they want them to call for them and try to make a resi for them, when they as adults could very well do it themselves? riiiiiight... hold up a whole night of reservations for that? really? if you ever tried to do this, you would get so backed up it would be ridiculous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[QUOTE]I never said I wouldn't immediately seat ANY customer that said they had reservations. I would seat ANY customer who claimed they had reservations as quickly as I could and in order of their arrival. In fact, that is the basis for my entire argument: That YOU feel only SOME customers deserve good customer service. I think ALL customers deserve good customer service. Accross the board. There is nothing  I would do for one upset customer that I wouldn't do for ANY OTHER UPSET CUSTOMER regardless of the way they conduct themselves. That's the difference between you and me. You lose two people's reservations. One complains politely. The other loses their temper because it was an important dinner they had been planning for months. IN YOUR BUSINESS, you'd kick out the rude customer, and seat the other. Even though the fault could have been yours in BOTH cases, You REFUSE to help the upset and angry customer simply because he was human, and lost his temper. So now not only was his evening ruined by no fault of his own, but you refused to even help him because he was very upset! Nice business you run! In my business, I would help and seat both to the best of my ability, apologize for the confusion, and make them happy. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME THAT HELPING ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS AND RESOLVING THEIR COMPLAINTS IS A BAD THING TO DO. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME THAT KICKING OUT A COMPLAINING CUSTOMER IS THE BEST CASE SCENARIO OR THE BEST OPTION FOR MY BUSINESS. YOU CANNOT CONVINCE ME YOU KNOW THE FIRST DARN THING ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE BECAUSE YOU HAVE EFFECTIVELY PROVEN OTEHRWISE!
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

So anyone who comes in and claims they have a resi, you would seat? Really? love to see you do that on a night that is booked. Where are you going to seat those who actually do have reservations? Do they wait an hour and a half for another table to open up? Again, you really have no idea what you are talking about. You cannot invent a table for someone, and you cannot bump someone who actually has a resi...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Ugh, I have told you countless times what I would do if the place was booked, and none of my solutions involved bumping another patron!
    I won't bother typing them again since you are clearly incapable of readign and comprehending the responses.
    And you cannot convince me that it's not wise to make time for my customers. What I suggested would, at most, take ten minutes. It would most likely take less because I would be prepared ahead of time, having developed a relationship with another restaurant neaby so that we could accomodate one another's customers if it were needed, but again, that is something an excellent customer service rep would know of and done before, as I have, so of course you don't understand it.
    I've done it before and seen it done. You are the one who has no idea what you're talking about.
    I'm talking about going above and beyond for a customer.
    You're talking about doing the bare minimum to get by.
    You feel it's not your responsibility to go the extra mile or go out of your way to help a customer.
    I feel it is my responsibility.
    That's the difference between excellent and satisfactory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[QUOTE]Ugh, I have told you countless times what I would do if the place was booked, and none of my solutions involved bumping another patron! I won't bother typing them again since you are clearly incapable of readign and comprehending the responses. And you cannot convince me that it's not wise to make time for my customers. What I suggested would, at most, take ten minutes. It would most likely take less because I would be prepared ahead of time, having developed a relationship with another restaurant neaby so that we could accomodate one another's customers if it were needed, but again, that is something an excellent customer service rep would know of and done before, as I have, so of course you don't understand it. I've done it before and seen it done. You are the one who has no idea what you're talking about. I'm talking about going above and beyond for a customer. You're talking about doing the bare minimum to get by. You feel it's not your responsibility to go the extra mile or go out of your way to help a customer. I feel it is my responsibility. That's the difference between excellent and satisfactory.

HAHAHA, this made me laugh.  Okay, and while you spend 10-15 minutes with this swearing screamer, what will you do with the line of people coming in for their 630pm reservations? By the time you are done with this fool and you seat the last angry 630pm resi, it will be about 7pm now. Now you are a half hour behind on some of your reservations. Brilliant plan pink. And about havng a "relationship" with another restarant, wont do you any good b/c if you are packed on a saturday night, chances they are as well. Genius plan you have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

You can go right ahead and keep telling yourself that excellent customer service isn't your priority or responsibility so you can go on not trying and only doing the bare minimum.
    Go ahead and keep saying it's impossible so that you can keep just being avergae.
    You just go right on ahead and believe that. I'm done here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

You didnt even address my last post, how you would handle spending 10-15 mins with this person while allowing a line to form and your reservations backing up. It's b/c you cant 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I did not address it because no matter what plausible solution I offer, you will in turn say that that solution is impossible.
    This is because you want so badly to believe that the way you do things is the best way, so you will not open yourself up to other possiblities.
    I'm not wasting any more playing your hypothetical situation game. It has no merit or value.
    Good day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

I think you ladies have had a great verbal duel but it is probably time....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

No pink, you did not answer it because you know you have no answer as to how to stand there calling places while your line builds up and your reservations back up, now backing up all reservations for the night. working at the sephora counter is different my dear. You can take your sweet time with a customer and other employees can help other customers. If you are the only host, you cannot spend your sweet time with one person and neglect everyone else, which will backup the resi's for the night. common sense and you know it, that is why you will not address it.

and its not a hypothetical. it happens in restaraunts all the time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85yop7aV6FY

Again, no matter what I respond with, you will say it is impossible, even if my solution is, in fact, plausible.
    It's same reason I wouldn't play a game where someone else was making up the rules as we went along to suit their own beliefs. It's an exercise in futility.

Just because you happen to think somethign is impossible does not make it so. It just means it's not possible to you.

[QUOTE]No pink, you did not answer it because you know you have no answer as to how to stand there calling places while your line builds up and your reservations back up, now backing up all reservations for the night. working at the sephora counter is different my dear. You can take your sweet time with a customer and other employees can help other customers. If you are the only host, you cannot spend your sweet time with one person and neglect everyone else, which will backup the resi's for the night. common sense and you know it, that is why you will not address it. and its not a hypothetical. it happens in restaraunts all the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Pink!  LMAO!  That youtube is so funny!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Wait, ok that youtube is funny, but what does it have to do with the fight?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Oh, it has nothing to do with it. Totally OT, but then again the whole restaurant thing is to begin with. The OP didn't even go to a restaurant.
    I'm so over this topic. It's good to know a few of you were along for the ride. I've been showing this thread to my friends who still work in customer service, we've been having a good laugh at it.

[QUOTE]Wait, ok that youtube is funny, but what does it have to do with the fight?
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Pink, that poor fat kid almost fell out of that ride and that woman was just laughing at him!! Where do you find these videos!! Can you post more?? They are so funny, although I did kind of feel bad for the kid!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

that one was actually shown to me by my brother in law while we were on vacation. It was on America's Funniest Home Videos too. I laugh just thinking about it.
    I know it's sadistic, but my god is it funny.

[QUOTE]Pink, that poor fat kid almost fell out of that ride and that woman was just laughing at him!! Where do you find these videos!! Can you post more?? They are so funny, although I did kind of feel bad for the kid!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bm33. Show bm33's posts

[QUOTE]Whoa Whoa Whoa- Pink and Cosmo: this girl paid for a service. One of the services she expected to receive was a skit and tape. She didn't receive that service. That's not cool and she has a right to be upset. Don't assume she's self-involved. She said she went there expecting a certain experience, that was not the experience she had, and the staff did not alert her to the "one spot" condition. That's not okay.

You dont "pay" for the skit..they just do one a show...and if you get a skit done then you buy the video.  Its not even that great. Whats the big deal. You were nervous about it anyway.  You should have had a more eventful party planned.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Pink, your solution is in fact NOT plausible, which is why you have not explained how you would handle both a line of reservations while calling other restaraunts to service your swearing screamer.

On another note, how in the world did that kid slide down like that anyhow??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Janice I'm falling! No Janice this hurts! This really hurts!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Actually, the video is QUITE relevant -- Pink Kitty and Missy are the fat kid screaming and the rest of us are ignoring them completely and having the time of our lives....

Scorpio, good to see you, my friend!!!   Yes, let's do stick a fork in it! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

it is not plausible to you, you're narrow-minded.
    Seriously, shut up already.

In Response to Re: WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM:
    [QUOTE]Pink, your solution is in fact NOT plausible, which is why you have not explained how you would handle both a line of reservations while calling other restaraunts to service your swearing screamer.   On another note, how in the world did that kid slide down like that anyhow??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

if you were ignoring us completely then why are you reading the thread?

[QUOTE]Actually, the video is QUITE relevant -- Pink Kitty and Missy are the fat kid screaming and the rest of us are ignoring them completely and having the time of our lives.... Scorpio, good to see you, my friend!!!   Yes, let's do stick a fork in it! 
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[QUOTE]it is not plausible to you, you're narrow-minded. Seriously, shut up already. In Response to Re: WARNING- IMPROV ASYLUM :

HAHAHA Wow...has nothing to do with narrow minded. You came up with your super wonderful solution, yet, did not explain a plan to carry it out. Explain how you would carry out everything I said along with your phone book espisode and make i work. I am waiting for a reasonable response. Instead, you say shut up, because you cant do it. It's like saying you work for a non profit and need to fund raise to come up with $500k, and not creating a plan to cary out how you will do it. Having an idea is one thing, now state how you would implement it and keep the night running smooth...if you cannot do that, then yes, your solution is NOT plausible.