Wedding Review 7/11/09!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wedding Review 7/11/09!

Wow, can't believe the whole wedding is over! I can see why the biggest recommendation that we had was to breath and enjoy the day, take time for just the two of you!  I am still on Hawaii time and can't sleep, so thought I'd take the opportunity to review my vendors!  All in all, it was a wonderful day.  We had more and more people come up to us and say what a great time that they were having! We thought, wow us too! :)  Here goes....

Museum of Science/ Washburn Pavilion- B+/A- 
        This is a hard one to review.  We had a beautiful day and the grounds could not be more unique and different for a Boston wedding.  Being outside with the skyline behind us was the selling point, and the weather pulled through for us.  People thoroughly enjoyed the setting and that is what really mattered.  There were times where we had a lack of communication between what we had thought was going to happen and what did actually happen with the flow of the day.  In some ways we felt that the museum was not as flexible as they should have been with the lay out and minor details of the day.   Overall, everything was fine, no major problems and really I had no idea about any of them at the time! 
       Wolfgang Puck Catering (the museum's caterer)- A 
          The food at the tasting was unbelievable and I figured that it tasted so good because the food was only being prepared for 6 people.  Well, I was happily surprised when the food tasted just as good at the wedding!  We had sea bass and filet and we had more compliments on the food, people saying it was the best wedding food that they have ever had!  The filet was actually cooked right and was red in the middle, even the salad was delish.   Overall, I was extremely happy with the food. The only one drawback was that the tasting was not included in the cost and was quite a bit of money more, one thing that I think should be changed.  

Flowers- ESBD Orchids N"Blooms- Scott and Erica-  A+  Wow is all I have to say. What wonderful people to work with!  Scott and Erica were so helpful and friendly from the moment we started contact. They were always there to make sure that everything was going the way I wanted it and were easy to contact at any time.  We rented linens from them and they helped with things like lighting in the tent (they are part of a wedding coordinating company).  As part of the package they like to do a mock up of some items, and it was worth it to actually see a finished piece and make changes.  The flowers at the wedding were gorgeous and the tables looked great.  They did flowers for the ceremony and reception, and one great thing was that they WANT you to save money.  They said no reason to spend more on centerpieces for inside the tent on things like the card table, we'll just move the pieces from the ceremony in to the tent with out people knowing. They worked very hard to make sure everything looked great but was still with in our budget.   Erica was there on site the day of, and even checked in with me in the limo as I pulled up.  I was mildly freaking out because we had taken pictures before the wedding and a piece of the hydrangea was not holding up from the sun in my bouquet.  Erica scooped it up and quickly returned it taped and fixed!  I highly recommend them!

Band- Unity- Murray Hill Talent- A-     
       Another one that was hard to give a -  to.  The band was great and kept people dancing all night, I think that the band really "made" our wedding!  They sounded wonderful and the band themselves were great to work with.   The agent himself was great and always helpful during the planning process.  The only thing that went wrong was that the coordinator for the day that would be at the wedding was not the same one that I had been communicating with for a year.  So there was some lack of communication on that part, so a few things went wrong on the day of as far as the play list goes.  Other than that, they were a hit and people had a great time and danced into the night.  People were shouting one more song after the band was done playing and they of course did one last song for the night ending on a high note. 

Photographer- Jamie Wexler- A++
    By far the best vendor to work with. We had engagement photos done that came out amazing, so we knew we would be happy with his work ahead.  He is so down to earth and makes you feel comfortable.  We chose him because of this, he has a great personality! And of course his photos were unbelievable.  He works alone, no assistant, which i was a little worried about, but he really didn't need one.   His pictures are very creative, which is what we wanted. Many of them we are not even smiling in.  We have already seen 30 photos and then we will see the rest in a few weeks, and I can't wait.   Jamie worked the full day as part of the package.  His packages were reasonable and even come with parent albums, and a dvd slideshow. I really could go on and on about how great he was... Once again, people have told us how great the pictures look and I have friends wanting to use him for their wedding! 

Hair/Makeup- Frank Barbosa-  A+
       Frank has a salon in Newport but was willing to come up to Boston to do hair and make up for my bridal party and the moms as well.  He works on movie sets (27 dresses/bridewars to name a few!), so he is always under pressure to do a good job and get it done fast.  Well this is what he did, I had brought photos with me to the trial, and he used those as well as finding out what the feel for the day and what my dress was like to make sure the hair and make up went with it.  My girls looked great and I really did feel like a princess! 

LImo- Above All- A 
        The limo was early, the drivers were very nice and worked with us as we tried to maneuver pictures on the waterfront during the middle of the tall ships.  (oops, not a great move on our part, but it worked out fine!)  Not much more to say, they were great, and reasonably priced. 

Cake- Konditormeister- A
        We went with them as they were the easiest, price was right, and photos of their cakes were beautiful.  I brought a picture from another boston area bakery and had them make that cake, and it looked great for a fraction of the price.  I only tasted the piece my husband fed to me and that was delish and moist, so I am assuming the rest of the cake was. We had 3 flavors and people told me that they just had to try all three!   I guess that is a sign of a good wedding cake! 

Ceremony Musicians- Boston String Quartet- A
       Well, since I was so consumed in the day, I really did not hear them much! They played for the cocktail hour and the ceremony and what I heard sounded good.  They had a good repertoire to choose from and were easy to work with and professional.  I'll have to ask around to my friends at how they sounded during the cocktail hour!  

Dress- Vows- B+ 
        I was happy with my dress in the end but that was thanks to Anahit!  I was not blown away by the service I received there, but I did find a dress, all lace, for 1/2 the price of what another shop was asking for. The lace of my gown was much nicer than the other shop too!  The drawback of getting a dress at Vows is that you buy the one that is there, so if it not in your size you need to get it altered a ton, so you will end up spending more on alterations.  

Alterations- Newton- Bridal Alterations by Anahit- A+ 
       Well I am sure you have all seen my previous and other's posts about her, what can I say she works wonders. She changed the neckline of my gown and bustled my long sash.  She altered my dress from a 10 to a 6 or smaller and it came out looking great.   At one point I had thought I bought the wrong dress and in the end I was happy, only b/c of what Anahit did to the gown to make it "mine."  She is great to work with.  I highly recommend her!

Think that is it..I'm sure I forgot a few, but I'm off to try to sleep again!   Hope all you other 7/11's had a great days too!

Knew I'd forget one:  Invitations- Rugg Road- Charles Street-  A 
        They had a huge selection and the people there were very helpful and knowledgeable about their products. I completely made my own invite which was tricky, but they helped me through it.  If you can find a meter outside, its worth it! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Wedding Review 7/11/09!

Congratulations, ajuly! I hope that you had a wonderful time in Hawaii and you have caught up on some sleep :)

Wedding sounds beautiful!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Congrats! How was Hawaii?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ajuly, welcome to the old married farts!  ;)

So happy Anahit came through for you like she did for me making your dress THE ONE!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Congrats ajuly!  Would love to see any pics!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

never posted a pic before, here goes, a try at the cake!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

So unique looking!  I love it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

ok and another, sorry the pics are big, not sure how to size them down!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Love the pics, ajuly! I'm so glad you liked the MoS, and were just as happy with Wolfgang Puck Catering as I was! My guests also raved about the food from them. Congrats!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Love the pics!!  The cake is beautiful; it reminds me of a pattern of Crate and Barrel dishes called Bloom.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

Yay!!  Congratulations, sounds like it was a wonderful day!  Hope you had a good trip too :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideMeaghan. Show BrideMeaghan's posts

Wow, I love your cake and am glad to hear that you had an amazing experience with Orchids N' Blooms company.  They did my friends wedding last year, which was absolutely beautiful, and we have a consultation coming up with them next week for our own wedding.

Also, I'm glad to hear that you liked your KM cake.  We have been going back and forth between them and Montilio's, but I keep hearing good things about KM.  So it looks as though I need to schedule my tasting next.

Congrats...it looks like you had a wonderful day!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALS76. Show ALS76's posts

So glad to hear that everything went so well.  It all looks beautiful.  And I love your veil - it's stunning with the lace edge!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Ooh - a blue cake!!  I love it, have never seen one!

And the dress and veil - also gorgeous!

In Response to Re: Wedding Review 7/11/09!:
    [QUOTE]never posted a pic before, here goes, a try at the cake!
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I LOVE the blue cake! Reminds me of the episode of The Office when Phyllis gets married to Bob Vance and when they cut their blue cake, Michael yells out "what does the blue taste like?!?!" lol!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Congrats!  I was 7-11 too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Congrats ajuly!!! Beautiful pics! Love the dress and the cake! I want cake now...mmm cake!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

thanks all for your nice comments!  The trip to hawaii was great, and I didn't burn (as you can see from the pic I am a redhead, so i usually burn after about 5 min in the sun!)   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Review 7/11/09!:
    [QUOTE]Love the pics!!  The cake is beautiful; it reminds me of a pattern of Crate and Barrel dishes called Bloom .
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    ooh those plates are pretty!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

congratulations!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congratulations ajuly!!  So glad to hear everything was fabulous.  And thanks for the pics!

I've seen a few people mention they didn't know how to size photos on here, so just an FYI that all you have to do is click on the corner and make the photo smaller, just like you would on Word or whatever.  I do recall it was a little tricky, but basically that was what I did last time I posted pics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Did you marry the right guy?