What did you do for invitations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

What did you do for invitations?

Hi all! 

Another post inspired me to start thinking more about what to do for invitiations.  So, I thought I'd poll you ladies with your wealth of experience. 

What did you do for your invitiations?  Was it DIY, a friend, an online vendor, a shop?  I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I don't want anything incredibly fancy, but I also don't know if I have enough time to make nice invitations myself. 

Any vendor reccommendations???  TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What did you do for invitations?

We used an online vendor that is no longer in business (Chase). 

I recommend the online route and like www.invitationconsultants.com. However, my big word of advice is to ORDER THE SAMPLES!!  We ordered 2 or 3 that I was sure were IT, and we ended up hating them for two main reasons:  1.  the quality of the paper/card stock was chinsey, and/or 2. the assembly required was awful (both from a labor intensive perspective and how it looked afterwards).  The company I'm recommending uses invitations in every price range and style immaginable, has tons of wording samples from the invitation itself to response cards, etc (under "Help" on the far upper right of the main page), and good customer service.  I used them for our rehearsal dinner invitations and was very pleased.  I also used their sample wording for help with the wording of our invitations and response cards.

P.S.  Oh, yeah, pay for the proof.  I assumed they'd be done right, but they weren't.  If we hadn't gotten a proof ($17.00) we would have had 100 invitations printed without the cross insignia I'd chosen to be printed on the top. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

In addition to my recommendation in the other post, you should check out weddingpaperdivas.com.  My sister used them to print my shower invites, and they came out really nicely.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We did our own - using a photo we had taken, DH photoshopped the words in and then we did a mail merge to insert all the names.  Printed and cut at Kinkos.  All in all, cost about $60 (about 75 invites).  Envelopes we printed ourselves on a color printer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

We got our invitations from an online store called VPonsale: http://www.vponsale.com/invitations/ .  I couldn't have been happier with the quality, and the prices were by far the best around.  Our package included 80 invitations, response cards, and envelopes for each (they also print the return addresses at no extra charge), and I think I paid just over $100 with shipping. 

You can order samples, and they'll also send you a digital proof that you need to approve before they print.  We got a ton of compliments on our invitations, and people thought we spent so much more than we did!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Can anyone recommend a good printer for DIY invitations?  We need to get a new printer anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

We used our photo printer for our DIY invitations.  It has a wider spectrum of colors and prints better images than our regular printer.

It's a Canon photo printer that I have had for a few years- a regular sized printer, not the compact ones.  I can check the model when I get home and update the post. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I used www.sweetpenelope.com and she was fabulous!!
    It was part ordering online (she is based in San Fran) and part DIY. 

Basically she has designs to choose from and you create the look and then you print them out and cut them at home. 
    It was very easy and she was there to help me choose paper and envelopes as well as help with printer issues!! She also delt with me changing my mind a few times.

Not to mention the total cost for paper, printing and the actual design (which she sends in a PDF) for our STD, invites and thank yous came to be under $200.  A steal!!  We received many compliments - I really cannot recommend her enough especially if you want to DIY without all the work. 

If you decide to do something like this - I can help you with where to get bulk paper at a discount price in the Boston area. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I checked out the invitation books at many stores and ended up ordering Birchcraft invitations at iParty.

I had ordered samples of many invites online but didn't like the paper quality -- too flimsy.

I got 75 invites, reply cards, and both envelopes for about $200.  I was very happy with the quality (they re-did the reply cards at no charge even though the error was mine).  Plus Birchcraft is a Mass. company so you're supporting the local economy.

I had priced doing them myself but did not care for the quality of the kits at Michaels, etc.  Plus I didn't want the hassle. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Boston - I just added you as a friend. I think we're going 100% DIY and I'm stumped about where to get paper. Any help you can give would be awesome!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I got my paper and envelopes at Paperworks which is in Allston.  The company is based out or RI and I initially ordered the paper but didn't like it, so customer service suggested that I go right to the store (they don't have many locations And usually conduct their business online).
    The customer service on the phone was exceptional and the guy who works in the store is as well.  He knew everything there was to know about paper and helped me find exactly what I was looking for.  If they don't have it in stock they will order it and it usually comes in next day, but they always have samples. 
    They also have a "clearance" section which is where I scored some awesome envelopes! 
    It was just great to see all the colors, textures, weights in person because online is so so different.  The only downfall is the store hours - only open m-f and 9-5 or something....needless to say it was difficult to get there. 
    HTH and you find what you need. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We got ours from Rugg Road in Beacon Hill, and they were expensive. I highly recommend the store and customer service, but if you are looking to save money not really the place! 

I do however recommend ETSY for invites.  I did my thank you cards through a vendor there and was very pleased.  I let me friend know about ETSY and she did her STDs there and paid 1/2 of what a store quoted her.  The beauty of ETSY is that you can post an alchemy request saying you'd like 100 invites, 2 layers, raised ink, (whatever you want) and only want to pay $100 and vendors will give you a bid saying that they will do it for that price.   I designed my thank you notes by using an icon from an expensive card company and the designer replicated it.  If you are willing to work with someone online, this is probably the cheapest way to go as you can set your own price!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

My friend used Wedding Paper Divas and loved them. Samples are only $1.00!

Wedding Paper Divas

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I got mine through www.etsy.com. Here is the link to the seller:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaintingsByShanon

She modified one of her samples so the price was more like $3.25 maybe?  I wish she still had it up so I could show you!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GK2bwed. Show GK2bwed's posts

We got ours from American wedding. If you sign up for their email list you get a percentage off. We paid around 250.00 and got outer envelopes printed, inner envelopes & tissues (included, we did not pay for these, but if you wanted lined you would pay a little extra), response cards and envelopes, and thank you cards. They will also send you free examples. http://www.theamericanwedding.com/ They came within days of the order, and sent you a proof that you approved prior to printing. Great company to work with, and the invitations look awesome. No one will know we got such a deal on them. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I did DIY with a kit from a craft store, and we only had one envelope, but I made a "belly band" to wrap around the invite, the response card and evenlope that had the names of the invitees on, just like you would do with an inner envelope.

We used a Brother 3 in 1 color jet, and it worked well on the invites, the paper for the belly bands (we used scrapbooking paper 12x12 cut down to be 6x12 and the printer handled it with no worries) and it worked well on the velum for the rehearsal dinnr invites too.