4 hours of venue rental?? too short??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

I appreciate all the advice everyone gave. The reason everything starts after 7 is because they are a historical mansion, and they have tours during the day from May until October. We are allowed to be on the mansion grounds by 5:45 for pictures outside, and after 6:15, we may use the bridal suite. (I would assume thats when vendors will be setting up?) They explicitly said no event shall start before 7 p.m.

Can anyone suggest a good outdoor ceremony sites near newport? We are not religious, so we don't feel like we should have it at a church or anything like that. So we are limited by the number of possibilities since most places require a reception afterwards on site. However, the problems with that also is... If we do the ceremony elsewhere, and then head to the mansion at 6 or so for pictures, but then the cocktail reception won't start until 7, what are the guests going to do???? wander around aimlessly in the parking lot?? haha.

If only they'd let me start at 6...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, it is too short for everything. Maybe most of their patrons have the wedding earlier somewhere else and then have a 4 hour cocktail/reception which would be reasonable. If you slice out an hour for the seating/ceremony you're going to be short.

1 hour seating and ceremony
    1 hour cocktail hour (your formal photos taken)
    1.5 hours dinner and cake

leaves 30 minutes for dancing. Are they unwilling to have your ceremony earlier? I can't imagine that for a price they wouldn't give you 5 or 6 hours. It's all about the $$, I'd guess.

Good luck!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

With a ceremony on site, yes too short. It will take 45 to 60 minutes easily for the ceremony (assuming a 15-20 minute actual ceremony) with seating, leaving, people filing out, etc. That does not include a receiving line. Then its usually an hour for cocktail hour, then at least an hour for dinner - You are already at 3 hours, and you havent done any of the special dances, toasts, cake cutting, bouquet toss or anything.
    Now, you could do pictures beforehand, and skip cocktail hour and go right into the meal, that could work for you nicely timewise.

Also, if the ceremony isnt until 7, that means your guests wont be eating much before 9 pm with a cocktail hour. That is really late. The venue may be beautiful, but guests wont remember that if people are starving to death. That is what they will remember, oh man, at Careys wedding, remember how late we ate? I was sooo hungry!

How come you cant have the ceremony at 6 or 630, is there another event?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think 4 hours total for the cocktail hour and reception is good. But, 4 hours total for the ceremony, cocktail hour and reception certainly isn't long enough. Plus, adding on an hour to cost an astronomical $3,000... unbelieveable. I wouldn't do that. That's too much.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

Looks like Alf and I are on the same page!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

ask when the clock starts ticking: is it right when your ceremony begins, or is it right when you arrive to start setting up?
    I had 4 hours, but the clock didn't officially start until the ceremony started. Things wrapped up at around 11:30, people had already started to leave early by that point.
    Close friends and family members all went and hit up a bar nearby for an after party.

It also depends on the type and length of your ceremony. My ceremony was very short.

ETA: if you do this I recommend having your photog take the wedding party pictures before the ceremony, so that pictures don't eat into your rental time. This is another thing I did to save on time.
    You won't feel rushed, I didn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Sorry, but I agree that 4 hours is too short. If it didn't include your ceremony, I would say it was fine because my rental is 5 hours including ceremony. Also 3k for an extra hour is outrageous!! I don't know anything about the venue and I'm sure it is very nice, but that is crazy. I'm paying $300 for an extra hour to bring it up to 6 total.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

That place is so gorgeous. Are you doing your pictures before your ceremony? I highly recommend taking them before your ceremony so you don't have to take pictures during the 4 rental. Will they allow you to do that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Yes, 4 hours is too short unless you do not care about dancing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Hi everyone, I've been lurking a while. I've searched for this topic and couldn't find any answers relating to this issue. Not sure if this belongs in Etiquette or Venue section of the forum. I would much appreciate any experience/input you guys can offer me.

The venue we are greatly leaning towards (rosecliff in Newport) only has a four hour rental period. The ceremony/event may only start after 7 o'clock in the evening, and we can only extend it by 1 hour at the most until midnight for $3000 extra. The downside of that option, aside from the astronomical price, is will guests want to stay that late?

We will have the ceremony on site, and so with cocktail reception, and dinner service, it doesn't seem to leave any time for dancing. Do you think this is do-able? If you were to attend a wedding for only 4 hours including the ceremony, would you think it is rather ridiculously short/rushed?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Ask Rosecliff what their usual timetable is for things. If their rental is 4 hours, they may have everything down to a science and it may not be an issue.

Personally, I think while 4 hours is perfectly long enough for a reception, including cocktail hour, it is not long enough for a reception, cocktail hour and ceremony. Even if your ceremony is only 15 minutes in length, you are going to have milling around time, and people arriving time eating into that 4 hours. You could skip the cocktail hour and go straight into dinner, but you may run into a set up issue w/ Rosecliff [ie, if the ceremony chairs are being used for dinner seating as well]. Could you have your ceremony elsewhere and then have everyone go to Rosecliff for 7? I don't think it's worth an extra $3000 for an hour, unless a ceremony elsewhere would cost you more. HTH!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

Thanks so much PinkKittie! You've made me feel a lot better knowing someone else made it work with such a short rental period. I really thought I was going to have to give it up. Instead, I shall go and grill/harass the event planner to make everything work. ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'd still recommend talking to the planner at your current venue to discuss timing before going throught he extra trouble and money to book a seperate venue for your ceremony.
    Remember that your wedding doesn't need to be a five or six hour long event to be everything you dreamed of.
    I strongly believe that one of the reasons that my guests had such a good time at my wedding was because it wasn't a drawn-out affair. They had more than half the day to get ready or travel if they needed to, and everything wrapped up at 11:00pm which is quite a decent hour for a Saturday night. And the only thing we skipped was the toasts, which I'm never a big fan of anyways.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

I think I may have found a good solution. The Belcourt Castle offers ceremony only options. Their french ballroom is perfect! Traditional, but not a church!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl831. Show bostongirl831's posts

I went to a wedding in Newport last summer and the couple had the ceremony on a huge sailboat (like the really really big ones) - it was gorgeous and very romantic. The boat never actually left the dock. The ceremony was about a half hour long and most people stood, except the elderly who had seats. Just another very different option to look into.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

That is funny my friends all joked about how my wedding would start on time come hell or high water. Yet on the morning of they were running late and were on the highway then it dawned on them that they were running late, the and several others admitted later that they were lead foots that morning. There was one groomsman that my DH has known since kindergarten and is always late. In high school DH's mom would pick him up and everymorning he was carrying his shoes and poptart that is how late he always is. The sweetest thing he did was getting to the church for the rehearsal and the wedding early, the best present a on time freak like me could ask for.

I think your wedding will be on time if you normally are an on time person. I built some slush time into my schedule because anything can happen but I do that in real life as well :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My reception (including cocktail hour) is going to be 5 hours long, but my fiance and I are thinking of adding an additional hour at the end, so it will end at 11pm as opposed to 10pm. I'm hoping that some of the guests will stay and dance with us until the end :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I think if you do the pictures beforehand, like you are allowed to and skip cocktail hour or do a very short one and go straight to dinner (which no one will miss I am sure!), you will have plenty of time for all the traditional things and lots of dancing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

what about having your wedding the last weekend of April or first week of November?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I understand, Friar. I am forcing my sister/MOH to sleep over the night before my wedding and ride there with me. Otherwise, she would absolutely positively be late for the wedding!! I am bad myself - often ten minutes late for work - but I know how to show up on time for important occasions!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Yes, take lots of deep breaths. Since you pointed out that you don't need a religious ceremony, it will be easy to make it fit the timing.
    I promise you wont' feel rushed. The planner will be there during the wedding to keep things on schedule, yes?
    That was a huge help to me, our planner even made a point to tell me to sit down and eat- which I would have totally forgotten about!

[Quote]Thanks so much PinkKittie! You've made me feel a lot better knowing someone else made it work with such a short rental period. I really thought I was going to have to give it up. Instead, I shall go and grill/harass the event planner to make everything work. ;)[/Quote]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

If you really love the place, I'm sure you can find a way to make it work.
    Like I said, 4 hours ended up being enough for me and my event also couldn't start until 7 because it was at the New England Aqurium and it closes at 6:00.
    If you want your wedding to go later, start the ceremony at 7:30 or 8, that's what I did.

You will have time for everything as long as you don't do like 4 readings during your ceremony- this is something you can work out with your officiant.
    If they host weddings all the time, that means 4 hours is enough time for most weddings. Do not panic yet, talk witht heir organizer about what the timing of other weddings there have been like.

Don't worry about your guests getting there early and not having anything to do. Some people do like to come places early, they won't hold it against you if your venue isn't open- your invite told them when to get there, fi they got there way early then ti's up to them to fill the waiting time.
    My guests that arrived early had to wait in the lobby of the aquarium until the main exhibit space had been cleaned and set up. They talked amongst themselves and mingled, no one complained about it.

[Quote]I appreciate all the advice everyone gave. The reason everything starts after 7 is because they are a historical mansion, and they have tours during the day from May until October. We are allowed to be on the mansion grounds by 5:45 for pictures outside, and after 6:15, we may use the bridal suite. (I would assume thats when vendors will be setting up?) They explicitly said no event shall start before 7 p.m.

Can anyone suggest a good outdoor ceremony sites near newport? We are not religious, so we don't feel like we should have it at a church or anything like that. So we are limited by the number of possibilities since most places require a reception afterwards on site. However, the problems with that also is... If we do the ceremony elsewhere, and then head to the mansion at 6 or so for pictures, but then the cocktail reception won't start until 7, what are the guests going to do???? wander around aimlessly in the parking lot?? haha.

If only they'd let me start at 6...[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Carey, I agree with Pink, talk to your planner at the original venue. Also, I cant remember if you mentioned how many people you have coming, but if it is more than 40, it looks like the ceremony fee at the second reception place will cost up to $2500..., not much less than the $3000 for the extra hour at the venue you love...just a thought

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Good point, you won't really need a cocktail hour unless they won't have your tables set up already.
    My tables were already set up and the food was ready to go after the receiving line- another thing that's totally optional. You can go table to table to save time.

[Quote]I think if you do the pictures beforehand, like you are allowed to and skip cocktail hour or do a very short one and go straight to dinner (which no one will miss I am sure!), you will have plenty of time for all the traditional things and lots of dancing![/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

Re: 4 hours of venue rental?? too short??

Rosecliff is a beautiful property!  We definitely would have booked there if it wasnt for the 15k rental fee.  If you go with the ceremony @ Rosecliff, you aren't allowed to have a ceremony rehearsal so I would make sure your wedding coordinator (I think Phillip was his name?) has everyone on the same page.  Also, if you are concerned about the overtime fee - make sure to read the fine print!  They also charge for prep/cleanup (2k), tables, chairs, & personnel (5 house attendants, ladies room, custodian, security, fire marshal, ect.). 

Belcourt is very convenient for your guests since it's right down the street; however, I would caution you to see it first since IMO it was a little run down last time I saw it.  It does have that great historical, gothic feel to it.