$8000 North Shore Wedding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

$8000 North Shore Wedding

Ok, I'm trying this again.  I'd like to plan a wedding for September 2010 on the North Shore (Gloucester, Rockport, etc).  We will be using our $8000 tax credit to fund every aspect of the wedding.  We have 150 on the guest list.  I want dinner and dancing and hopefully an ocean view!  If anyone can help suggest venues that would suit our needs, I would greatly appreciate it!

We plan to save money, or at least I do, by making all paper aspects (invitations, place cards, etc), flowers, centerpieces.  I considered making my dress, but realized that it will be more stress than I want.  I also plan to use New England School of Photography to get a young and creative photographer.  We thought about using an ipod for music, but I've heard some horrible stories about couples who did this. 

Thanks everyone!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding

In Response to $8000 North Shore Wedding:
    [QUOTE]Ok, I'm trying this again.  I'd like to plan a wedding for September 2010 on the North Shore (Gloucester, Rockport, etc).  We will be using our $8000 tax credit to fund every aspect of the wedding.  We have 150 on the guest list.  I want dinner and dancing and hopefully an ocean view!  If anyone can help suggest venues that would suit our needs, I would greatly appreciate it! We plan to save money, or at least I do, by making all paper aspects (invitations, place cards, etc), flowers, centerpieces.  I considered making my dress, but realized that it will be more stress than I want.  I also plan to use New England School of Photography to get a young and creative photographer.  We thought about using an ipod for music, but I've heard some horrible stories about couples who did this.  Thanks everyone!
    Posted by teeny331[/QUOTE]

Hi Teeny!

Very great idea to use your tax credit for the wedding!  You can absolutely do a 150 person wedding for $8,000, and it sounds like you're creative enough to pull it off.

I can't really help you with a venue, but I found my photographer through NESOP and she was fabulous!  She's in her late 20's, very sweet, and did an amazing job on our photos for a VERY low price.  If you're interested I'll give her your information.

Good luck!  :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

In Response to Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding:
    Thanks KMT!  I could use any advice I can get!  Does she have any of her work online?  What kind of style does she use?  I can't decide if I want a photojournalistic style or what.  I definately want the formal family shots, but my husband's not so great with posed photos, so candid or creative pictures would be great too.  There's just so much to think about!

[QUOTE]In Response to $8000 North Shore Wedding : Hi Teeny! Very great idea to use your tax credit for the wedding!  You can absolutely do a 150 person wedding for $8,000, and it sounds like you're creative enough to pull it off. I can't really help you with a venue, but I found my photographer through NESOP and she was fabulous!  She's in her late 20's, very sweet, and did an amazing job on our photos for a VERY low price.  If you're interested I'll give her your information. Good luck!  :)
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Making your dress would not only be stressful, but the material would be very expensive, too.  If you are a jean size 12 or under, try VOWS in Newton.  It's a consignment shop that has 100s of designer sample dresses (new).  Their inventory is online at www.bridepower.com. I got my dress worth $1000s for only $700.

Target, surprisingly enough, also sells wedding dresses and veils for much less than that, and they don't look like they'd need altering.

We had a Fall theme, and we didn't have flowers at the reception at all.  Sugar pumpkins with slits in the stems for the table numbers (thank you, Martha Stewart) and larger pumpkins on the floor by the sweetheart table and at the entrance to the room instead.  Cheap, pretty, and simple.  Actually, we grew them, but DH does every year, anyway.

Can't help you with a venue, but even if you're a supersaver on pictures ($500), dress ($200, no alterations), invitations ($100 for materials and $50 stamps), FI's tux ($50?), flowers ($500 is what we paid for 2 bouquets, bouts, corsages, and unity candle center piece and NOTHING for the reception), and nothing else (which is unlikely to be the case), you'll have a max of $6600 to spend on the dinner, dancing, ocean view reception. 

For 150 guests, that's a mere $44 per person.  Double that is on the inexpensive side for an evening wedding plate even if you get inexpensive entrees and serve no alcohol. 

You're going to quickly see me as the biggest downer ever after my first post about the potential pitfalls of an annulment, and now this, but can you cut the guest list?  It's the easiest, albeit hardest, way to save. 

Blessings,
    ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding : Thanks KMT!  I could use any advice I can get!  Does she have any of her work online?  What kind of style does she use?  I can't decide if I want a photojournalistic style or what.  I definately want the formal family shots, but my husband's not so great with posed photos, so candid or creative pictures would be great too.  There's just so much to think about!

No problem!  Her name is Kateryna Odyntsova (she moved here from the Ukraine when she was 22), and you can see some of her work at http://public.fotki.com/okate/locked/celebrations/weddings/ .

She actually does a great mix of formal, photojournalistic, and candid shots.  I'm not a big fan of formal photos either, but when I saw ours I loved them.  Everyone looks relaxed and like themselves...they don't look overly posed.  She also got some really great candid shots.  I can honestly say that I could not have been happier with her or with my pictures (and I can be difficult to please!).

She charged us $125 an hour for photography, and that included a CD of all the high resolution images (and the rights to them).  I thought that was pretty reasonable!  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

How many hours did she work?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

David's Bridal $100 sale is probably the best way to save on a dress.  Vows gowns may be a great deal, but they still cost more than that!  :p

Here's some inspiration from a super cute $6k wedding:
    http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2008/09/real-wedding-saturday-deanna-jesse.html

...i love that one :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]David's Bridal $100 sale is probably the best way to save on a dress.  Vows gowns may be a great deal, but they still cost more than that!  :p Here's some inspiration from a super cute $6k wedding: http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2008/09/real-wedding-saturday-deanna-jesse.html ...i love that one :)
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's a great deal, but you HAVE to hit them on the very first day and maybe plan to visit a few stores.  I went later that week, and there were two gowns left on the sale rack, neither of which were in my size.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

good advice, kar.  When I went, it was a shop in a quiet Midwestern town, and there were plenty of dresses.  I'm not sure what day of the sale it was.  I didn't even know there was a sale until I got there!  They didn't have my dream dress, but I felt it was a fantastic option for a bride on a tight budget.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think $8000 could go along way if you don't buy into the all the wedding hype!!  Don't bother with favors, get a veil online for $20 bucks, that kind of thing.  I have to say, though, that it might be tough with a guest list of that size.  I wish you all the best and let us know if you ever need help!

My brother just got married and we made the flowers ourselves.  Her MOH had experience so she made the boutonnieres.  The bouquets were small sunflowers for the BMs and red roses with some sunflowers for the bride.  Did they look like we made them?  Possibly.  Were they still really cool and pretty?  Absolutely!  I was in LOVE with the bride's bouquet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You definitely can save a bundle by getting everything on the cheap.  But, the guest list will prove too large for that budget.  Even if you had $8000 just to spend on the reception that's only $53/pp.  And, nothing is totally free so she's starting with far under $8000 for 150 people no matter how it's sliced and diced.

I'm all about reasonable expectations.  It minimizes disappointment and maximizes realistic plans that actually can be done and can be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks again KMT, work blocked the site because it's a "photo sharing" site, so I'll have to check it out at home.  Google images pulled up some landscapes that I believe are her's and look gorgeous, so I'm hopeful.

And thanks Kargiver, that's what I'm afraid of, how on earth are we going to fit it all into the budget?!  I figure a Sunday early-evening reception will be perfect for us, and our budget.  And I plan to make my flowers, not buy flowers and arrange them, but actually make them; I just haven't decided to use funky fabric flowers or paper flowers yet. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsh1018. Show nsh1018's posts

There is a consignment shop in Hamilton MA called Over the Rainbow.  Their prices range from $200 - $2000. www.overtherainbows.com Also for venue but not on the water is www.maudslayartcenter.org (Newburyport)  It is a barn on a state park (especially beautiful in the fall)  You can bring in your own caterer.  There is also a beautiful ampitheater where they hold concerts where you could have a ceremony on a beautiful day.  I believe the rental fee is quite reasonable.  I have used a caterer in Newburyport who does a great job.  www.carryoutcafe.com Paula is great to work with and is quite reasonable.  Plus you can bring in your own alcohol.  There is a dance floor in the barn.  Perfect for a fall day

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Jasmine, that site it awesome!  I'll definitely try to use some of their ideas!

If we have 150 on the guest list, are we supposed to budget for 150?  Isn't it generally said that 30% of the people invited won't attend?  So shouldn't we then budget for about 100 guests and look for a venue that will hold that many people?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

You can totally do it.  I only spent about $6000 total on the catering & waitstaff, facility rental, china/glassware/linen rental and alcohol.  Definitely look into a Sunday wedding, and the time of day your reception is can make a big difference on how much you spend on the facility rental and catering.  My ceremony was in the morning and my reception was from noon-5pm, and I saved a lot of money by being able to serve lunch instead of a dinner.  Also, look into venues that allow you to bring in all of your own vendors.  Just from being able to bring in my own alcohol saved me a bundle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]Jasmine, that site it awesome!  I'll definitely try to use some of their ideas! If we have 150 on the guest list, are we supposed to budget for 150?  Isn't it generally said that 30% of the people invited won't attend?  So shouldn't we then budget for about 100 guests and look for a venue that will hold that many people?

Hi Teeny,  I wouldn't count on that 30%!  (And honestly, I think people say to count on 20% declines or maybe even less, not 30% :o)
    We had 25% decline, which was kind of nice because I really didn't want 200 people at my wedding!!
    But there are others who have gotten married and literally had like 7 people out of 150 decline.  You just never know.  Take a look at your own list and try to figure out what will happen in your situation.  Are there a lot of invitees from out of town, etc?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

It's not on the North Shore, but I have to mention our venue - the Stage Neck Inn in York, ME.  It's on the water with beautiful ocean views and their prices were pretty reasonable (and the food is pretty tasty). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Ditto fra--look at your list seriously.  We ended up with about a 25% decline rate, but it was all from one branch of the family due to a particular feud (which I still don't understand, but whatever).  Excluding that barnch, I think our decline rate would have been around 5-10%.  This is even though 80% of our list was out-of-towners. 

Watch out with stylemepretty though--I think most of the featured weddings are seriously $$$.  That was more the exception.  :p  They do have gorgeous stuff though.

This Boston area bride gave detailed budget info (click "Bridal Budget Reality"):
    http://rebekistan.googlepages.com/home
    and her wedding was featured here:
    http://www.apracticalwedding.com/2009/02/rebecca-and-thoms-fall-new-england.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]You can totally do it.  I only spent about $6000 total on the catering & waitstaff, facility rental, china/glassware/linen rental and alcohol.  Definitely look into a Sunday wedding, and the time of day your reception is can make a big difference on how much you spend on the facility rental and catering.  My ceremony was in the morning and my reception was from noon-5pm, and I saved a lot of money by being able to serve lunch instead of a dinner.  Also, look into venues that allow you to bring in all of your own vendors.  Just from being able to bring in my own alcohol saved me a bundle.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

But she said she wants dinner, that's why I said it was too tight.  Definitely, a morning or mid-afternoon reception is a lot more budget-friendly.

P.S.  Invite only the number you can afford to feed.  Those decline rates are averages, not laws of nature. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I think $8000 for 150 people will be tough unless you really scale it back to like a BBQ or something.  My first suggestion would be to really take a close look at your guest list and see if you can cut it down.  That will make it MUCH easier.  If you can't, then you will have to be creative! 

One suggestion would be to look at having it in NH.  I can't remember which venues I looke at, but I noticed that package prices were much cheaper in NH than MA, so maybe that will help.

Here's a bride who recently posted her reviews.  She did a wedding for 90 people for about $8K.  Maybe some of her ideas will help you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I am in love with that wedding!!

[QUOTE]David's Bridal $100 sale is probably the best way to save on a dress.  Vows gowns may be a great deal, but they still cost more than that!  :p Here's some inspiration from a super cute $6k wedding: http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/2008/09/real-wedding-saturday-deanna-jesse.html ...i love that one :)
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

ok, you are getting all the blog inspiration I can muster.

here are posts on DIY bridal bouquet making:
    http://www.weddingbee.com/2009/09/07/bouquet-making-for-the-boorish-or-indelicate-gal/

http://www.weddingbee.com/2009/10/14/country-courthouse-coupling-cake-and-flowers/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I made my own bouquets and centerpieces. I made oragami roses from paper and tulle, used wire to attach them into a bouquet from from a craft store, and wrapped the handles in ribbon.

I also used my iPod for music. It was great. I created a seperate playlist for the ceremony, the dances and tehn one big reception playlist. My brother pushed the buttons, and once the reception playlist was started he was able to leave it and enjoy the reception. I used my iPod, a belkin stereo-hookup and a Bose stereo. Filled the entire New Englad Aquarium with music with just those things. The Bose was my mom's and the iPod was mine, all I had to buy was the $15 cord.
    It was great, people were up and dancing, I got lots of compliments for song choices, and I didn't have to worry about interviewing DJs, booking them, sending them lists and music, and most of all- paying them!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not saying that you should expect all 150 people, per se, but what if they do all come?  You can't cut any of them, obviously, if more than you can afford accepts their invitations.  Plan for the worst and you'll come in within budget.  Chances are, like with home improvements, your budget will creep up no matter how hard you work at preventing it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

My boyfriend's sister's wedding was just under $6k I think and she invited about 220 and about 180 showed up. She relied a lot on the family - her cousins are a wedding photographer and videographer, her aunt did silk flower arrangements for all the bouquets, boutineers and centerpieces. It was at the VFW and a family friend did the catering (chicken pot pies served family style). They got those plastic plates that look like china from BJs with silver plastic flatware. The DJ was a guy her dad works with. She made the invitations, favors, decorations, place cards. Her mom made all the cupcakes and frostings for $45 total. It's possible, but you have to be creative about it.

And a note about the number of invitees. I think if you have a small pool of invitees, there's more of a chance that they're all going to come. People might not travel or might not make your wedding a priority if you're not *that* close but if you're only inviting 150 people and they are family and close friends, I think more people will show up. Who's not going to come to your wedding? :-)

Sections
Shortcuts