$8000 North Shore Wedding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding

In Response to Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding:
    [QUOTE]kar, I only put that in as a suggestion because, as we all know, the topic of excluding children can be a volatile one, and some parents can get mightily insulted.  So it seems that when you let people know things ahead of time (versus not saying anything until they open the invitation), they are more accepting.  And I thought that might help her anxiety about not inviting kids.
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Mm, I wasn't meaning to criticize your making it, only offer the other side of the coin of the suggestion to her.  We're almost always on the same page, my friend, and we are now, too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding : FriarGirl, chicken pot pies sound sooo yummy!  I love that idea!  I think we may have to use them!  Do you know if they ordered them frozen and then heated them up at the venue or if they had them catered and Chicken Connection took care of those details? And any and all information that I can get on an affordable yet artistic photographer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Posted by teeny331[/QUOTE]

The Chicken Connection did come out to prepare and serve the meal. I suppose getting them frozen would also be an option if you didn't want that. The owner's name is Rick. I'm sure if you call him and explain what you're looking for, he can help you figure out how to make it happen. They got the place settings from BJs. They looked like china but were really plastic and I think they cost about $1/setting.

I'll email you the photography information. If she doesn't fit what you're looking for, no worries. I think she's amazing, but what do I know? :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I think that Mexican food would be delicious and fun, but sounds like it's stretching your budget a bit. Table, linen, and chair rentals are $$ as far as I understand, so leave room for those.

If you consider the iPod DJ route, make sure you have the appropriate sound equipment and microphone available, and someone who doesn't mind MCing.  Sounds like pinkkittie was lucky to have access to a great sound system.

If photos are important to you, then be sure to do your homework.  It seems to me that wedding photos are kind of special in the sense that even someone who is a good portrait photographer or strict photojournalist may find their first wedding (or two) challenging.  The photographer has to really be on the ball and very aware of what the key "moments", so that they catch them all on camera just right, and quick to adapt to changing lighting conditions, backgrounds, etc.
    Anyway, you might check out JohnLo Photo:
    ...I have no personal experience with him, but I've heard many raves from brides that he is a fantastic value and they liked his work, and he says coverage starts at $1000 for 8 hours.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I know you want a Sept 2010 wedding, but honestly, one huge way to cut the cost is to have it offseason. Have a January or February Sunday morning wedding. The month alone will save you tons of money.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jasmine, good post about the photography research.   "Challenging" is an understatement for anyone who's never shot a wedding professionally before no matter how good they are with a camera in general.  We found out the hard way ourselves having gotten photos I've cried a river over despite it being a useless waste of energy to cry over spilt milk.  What's done is done, right?  I wish we hadn't had a photographer at all.  Not having photos other than what our friends and family took would actually be better than what we do have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

teeny,
    I am entering this post late, and I just wanted to say, that I am delighted to hear about all the innovative savings you can do for your wedding.
    As we all know, weddings have gone overboards and come up in a price range, that is out of reach for most people. I have friends, who spend $150,000 for their daughters wedding (or so they say) - and it truly was not better and more memorable than other much less "expensive" weddings, we have attended. I put expencive in quotation marks, as I think anything over $25,000 is IMO an expensive wedding.
    As far as inviting children to your wedding, it has been discussed over and over again on these threads. Just because you have to invite your 12 year old brother, which I absolutely think is a must - does not mean you have to invite the children of all other guests. You send the invitations, you pick whom to invite. And believe me, most of your guests will understand. If they don't, it is their problem - not yours.
    Unless it is a cultural thing. In some cultures an invitation means the entire family - children, grandparents etc. no matter how many (or few) names are on the envelope. My best friend was the first one in her culture/family to exclude children. She simply wrote on the invitation, "No Children Invited!" Not an easy thing to do if one follows the rules of etiquette. But as she said, "This is America and someone has to be the first one". Of course there was quite an uproar. However the dust settled and now everyone else do the the same thing.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Cos, that to start informing people way ahead of time that they cannot bring their children, will easy the way for you.
    Good luck with everything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. and when I say "do your homework", I mean make sure you see weddings they have done in the past, and look at all the photos they took at the wedding.  (Don't just rely on their "best of" portfolio with only their favorite photos.  Take a look at the full set that the bride & groom received.)

Ask yourself--are all the photos well framed, in crisp focus, with good color balance (not bleached out, too dark/shadowy), etc.?  

Think of the wedding details, or go down a list you pull online of "must-take photos".  Did they capture the ring exchange, the kiss, the bride & groom's faces during the vows, the cake cutting, the centerpieces, the first dance, etc?  These moments come and go quickly and it takes skill to capture each one in their best light.  

In the formal portraits, are all the bridesmaids looking in the same direction, with their bouquets at the same height?  

Are there candids that capture the joy of more spontaneous moments?

...hanging out on message boards for over a year, I have heard brides complain about all of these things after the fact.  That's why I am bringing them up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Here's something that might be wicked fun....

you can get The Sausage Guy (from Fenway) to cater your wedding.

http://www.thesausageguy.com/

$20 per person  - yummy!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Ladies,

You're all so great!  My mind is running with ideas and things I've never even considered!

FriarGirl, I absolutely love the chicken pot pie idea!  What else would be served with dinner?  The chicken pot pie takes care of the meat and veggies.  I need to supply appetizers, but I want to keep with the comfort food idea. 

I do love the cupcake idea instead of the cake...but is that something I'd be able to do on my own?  I know how to bake, but will there be time and will I be too stressed?  Would it be cheaper to buy cupcakes instead of one cake?

ALF, I absolutely love the Lyceum and may have to take a look.  In that case though, I'll have to figure out transportation.  My tootsies aren't going to make it walking from Rockport to Salem! haha

You've all been very generous about your beautiful gowns!  I've thought about it though, and I would like to have the whole trying on dresses experience.  If my budget can fit it, I'd like to buy a dress, but ALF, if your offer is still on the table come spring, I may take you up on it!

Now depending on the venue, I will either need to buy beer and wine and pay for a bartender, or do a cash bar if the venue is equipped.

I would like to have a photographer with me while I get ready, and one with my husband, then the formals and candids during the ceremony/reception.  So I would like at least one photographer for 8 hours. 

I'm making my flowers and invitations etc, so I have to budget for those items.

We'll try and figure out the ipod as dj thing. 

What else do I need?  God I'm so naive!
    =)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I would advise against a big baking project the week before your wedding, unless you have massive reserves of calm, a small army of helpers, and/or lots of cupcake decorating experience. 

Cupcakes are cheaper than wedding cake though, even if you buy from baker.  They can be $2-3 per person, I think, maybe less from a grocery store.  (My baker did them from $2.50 each.)  Cake usually starts around $3-4 per slice at the very cheapest.  Fancy cake can be more--$6-8 per slice for fondant and special decorations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

most, if not all, venues have some sort of P.A. system that you can rent for a low fee. The aquarium let me rent a mic that hooked ino their in-house P.A. system for only $20.
    Our coordinator volunteered to announce the first dance, it was really all that needed to be announced as the father/daughter dance flowed naturally after that.
    If the coordinator was unable to announce I probably would have given that task to a groomsman or to my father. As long as you know someone who doesn't mind speaking in front of crowds, it works out.

I used a Bose stereo to hook the iPod up into because my mom alreayd owned one.

Once you pick your venue, you can also look into renting a sound system from Boston Audio Rentals or Meeting Tomorrow. Call them and see what they'd recommend for your set-up, and tell them you're on a tight budget.
    if the price for rental is more than $200 I'd look into just buying a good iPod dock speaker system yoruself. At least then you get to keep it and a nice one that would be loud enough would be less than $200

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

With the chicken pot pies, we had a salad and mac & cheese. I feel like there was something else on the table, but I don't remember if it was mashed potatoes or maybe a cole slaw or something? It all came from the Chicken Connection.

As for the cupcakes, the bride, her mom and two bridemaids who were staying with them for the week did all the cupcakes themselves. I'm pretty sure the cake was just out of a box and they made the frosting from scratch. They just put white frosting in a bag and did a quick swirl. They had 4 different flavors and did a little colored dot on top to signify what flavor the cake was. They made a little card as a key for what color meant what flavor. They definitely made the cupcakes ahead of time and put them in the freezer (or several freezers) and I think they might have decorated them the day before. It cost $45 for the whole thing. I think you would normally pay $2-$3/cupcake if you went to a bakery. I guess you have to decide how much your (and your friends') time is worth.

Anyway, they looked like this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Not loving the make-your-own-cupcakes idea.  By the time you buy all the ingredients and muffin tins and supplies (i.e. frosting decoration tips, etc.) you'll be in to it for a lot of money.  Then, how would you transport them?  And who would do it?  You get the idea....

A lot of brides buy a small wedding cake to display and cut, and get a sheet cake of the same flavors to serve the rest of the guests. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Based on what one of my sister's spent, cupcakes cost just as much or more than a traditional cake. What about getting a small, one layer cake [ie, essentially the top tier of a wedding cake] for cutting purposes and then getting a sheet cake that's kept in the kitchen to serve the guests?  If you aren't doing a cake cutting moment, then just get a sheet cake and have them cut it in the kitchen.

I used Matt Flynn for photograpy and found him to be exceptionally good and very good price wise.  If you are looking for something very budget friendly, what about checking out NESOP [NE school of photograpy]?  You can post a job and see what you get for replies. Many are very talented and should have a portfolio to show you.  You could also end up getting alums looking for extra work, or even professors. It's worth a shot.

I've heard great things about the floral dept at Whole Foods in Swampscott.  I've never used them, but have only heard good things.

Why can't you just get in a regular car and drive to the reception?  Your dress won't get that wrinkled. I did this for the prom and for other fancy events w/ no ill effects. Not quite the same thing, but any time I've been in a formal gown other than for my wedding I've been in a regular car and I've looked just fine when I get there. Besides, only the but-t of your dress would get wrinkled and you're going to be bustling that part when you get to the reception anyway.

Yes, as I mentioned in my note, the offer for the dress stands.  That is, unless I get any other takers in the meantime. ;-) If you don't find what you want, just send me a note and I'll make arrangements re the dress.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

I'm starving now!

All good points.  I never really considered just driving, lol.  duh!

I'll have to shop around for the cake/cupcakes.  I know BJs has really good cake.  But aren't guests expecting some delicious lemon cake or something?  I know I am, especially right now!

For those of you who've been married, who set up the reception for you?  Do you just drop off the centerpieces etc and the venue takes care of it, or do you set them up yourself?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Hi Teeny,

The thing I would say about using an ipod at your wedding would be to make sure you think about your audience when compiling the song list.  Even consult a dj, if possible.  I recently went to a wedding where the bride decided to use an ipod.  There was a mic hooked up to it, and a great sound system, so the sound was wonderful and she had someone in charge of announcing things... the issue was the music.  She chose her favorite songs, all in the same genre of music, and NO ONE danced, and she was really upset!  (DH and I did participate after a while to try and make her feel better)  So I would just say make sure to have a variety of types of music.  Our dj said he always plays well-known motown-type songs first to get everyone out there, and he was right!  He played Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" first and EVERYONE was out there!  Toward the end of the reception he started playing the sort of "in-joke" songs my husband and I requested that we knew our close friends would get a kick out of. 

I know Pinkkittie and others have successfully used ipods, so it can work and is a very cool idea! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

RE: cake.  We got a cake from Costco for my friends shower and it was *delicious*!!!  I think it was a half sheet cake, served like 50 people, and literally it was $20.  It was 2 layers of cake and you choose the filling inside from a list of options.  Seriously, it was so good!  As for your guests, I'm sure they will be happy with whatever you serve.  If you like it, I'm sure they will too!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

That's a good point poppy.  My husband and I are definitely oldies fans, would it be awful if the majority of our songs were from Mob Hits? haha!  We're not going to have a very young crowd either.  The majority of our friends are in their 40s and I can't wait to see my 80 year old great uncle dance, he said he's looking forward to hitting the dance floor!

How many songs should I plan on?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

[QUOTE]That's a good point poppy.  My husband and I are definitely oldies fans, would it be awful if the majority of our songs were from Mob Hits? haha!  We're not going to have a very young crowd either.  The majority of our friends are in their 40s and I can't wait to see my 80 year old great uncle dance, he said he's looking forward to hitting the dance floor! How many songs should I plan on?
    Posted by teeny331[/QUOTE]

Haha!  I love "Mob Hits"!!!
    I think our dj said 20 songs per hour... I want to say 3 of our hours were dancing.  I think.  It was only 4 months ago, you'd think I would be able to remember better!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

for my wedding I had lots and lots of 80's new wave and hair metal hits, David Bowie, and Queen. That mixed in well with my other alternative-rock favorites, plus it's the music I grew up listening to so I knew my family would enjoy it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

teeny, you have to put "what will the guests expect" out of your mind.  They will expect some food, some drink, some dessert.  As long as it tastes good, no one will really care. 

Definitely stop and shop or other local supermarket for flowers. 

Assuming you will be renting a hall, you'll be responsible for setting it up and decorating.   Hopefully, you will have a couple of wonderful girlfriends/aunts/etc. who can take care of this for you.  Also, someone will have to be responsible for cleaning up, taking home all the leftover supplies, food, and gifts, etc.  That can't be you and your groom.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

We did cupcakes instead of a cake and we only paid $200 (picture below - matches your theme too!).  A woman I work with also did cupcakes for her May wedding and she spent $250 and her wedding was larger than mine.  I think her baker was out of NH, but I can ask her who she used.  I can email you my baker's info if you are interested.

For a reception venue, have you tried the Rockport Golf Club?  Looks like their rental fee is $750 for members, $1300 for non-members (anyone in your family a member?). 

http://www.rockportgolfclub.net/rockport-country-club-functions.asp

A restaurant might work too for your reception.  Maybe you could try the Blacksmith Shop Restaurant.  The website doesn't post prices, but it looks like they can accomodate up to 120 people if you end up shortening your guest list.
    http://www.blacksmithshoprestaurant.com/functions.html

Didn't helpmehelpme have her reception at a restaurant for like $3500?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

dkb, I LOVE THAT!!

With cupcakes, do you do one/person or less?

And Rockport Golf Club, reminds me too much of my middle school dances, that's where I learned the Macarena in 6th grade!  The Blacksmith Shop is right down the street from my parents, and I took a quick peek a couple months ago on the  website, I'll have to check into it more.  It's right on the water!  I also like the Gloucester Stage Company, and what a great sound system they'd have!  Looks like I need to make some viewing appointments!

and Pink, alternative is my music of choice, but unfortunately my loved ones (husband, stepdaughter) prefer what I like to call "fluff", Kiss108 stuff.  I'm not dissing it in anyway, I just can't get into it, it feels too fake.  That's why the oldies are a happy medium for us all, lol.  I may have to slip some Cure in there though.  What's the best way to mix it up?  A big chunk of Mob Hits then a big chunk of Alternative then a big chunk of Pop?  Or just put the ipod on shuffle?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]dkb, I LOVE THAT!! With cupcakes, do you do one/person or less? Posted by teeny331[/QUOTE]

I think she said she was doing 1.5/person but it seemed like a ton.  There were plenty leftover and I know most people had at least one.  My grandfather had 6 and brought 3 home.

I am going to email you some pictures.  I have some of my ocean-theme decor left over that you can have if you're interested (table card holders, cupcake display, etc). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: $8000 North Shore Wedding : I think she said she was doing 1.5/person but it seemed like a ton.  There were plenty leftover and I know most people had at least one.  My grandfather had 6 and brought 3 home. I am going to email you some pictures.  I have some of my ocean-theme decor left over that you can have if you're interested (table card holders, cupcake display, etc). 
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

That seems like a lot, I assumed you would buy less than the actual number of guests since not everyone will eat it, but of course if I do that, then everyone will be wondering where their cupcake is!  Who did your cupcakes for you?  Can you have different flavors and fillings like a wedding cake, or is it just cake and frosting?

I responded to your email...thanks a ton!  Everything looks beautiful!

Sections
Shortcuts