Afternoon brides -- Evening activities?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asimplecook. Show asimplecook's posts

Afternoon brides -- Evening activities?

As a cost-cutting measure, we're currently exploring some different options for our wedding, including the possibility of hosting a Saturday afternoon ceremony/reception with some dancing in a restaurant outside of the city.

However, before really pursuing this option, we'd want to provide guests with a way to continue the party with us (at very little cost to us) -- especially since the majority of our friends and family will be traveling from out of state.  Any ideas on what to do on a Saturday evening with 50+ friends (from mixed groups) in Boston or the surrounding towns?  Or a mixed activity / place to hang out for 120 individuals with mixed age ranges (relatives + friends)?

All ideas are welcome.  I don't think we'd want to spend more than $1000.  (And as a sidenote, we may make this a long weekend affair.)  Thanks in advance for your help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Afternoon brides -- Evening activities?

This is a tough one, but I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about it for you.

Bumping it up to let you know you're on our minds and to bring it up in case it got lost in the weekend shuffle for anyone.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Well, one thing to consider is whether or not people will want to continue partying after teh wedding.  We had a Saturday afternoon wedding and reception [noon wedding, w/ reception ending at 6.30].  Really, when it was done, people [including my DH and I] were spent.  We had no further interest in doing anything other than grabbing a quick bite and taking it easy.  We also had our wedding over a holiday weekend.  The younger or more inclined to keep partying folk went bar hopping after the wedding. 

If you do have people who want to keep going, there is always Jillians.  It's good for all ages. I think there is also a piano bar in the area, if people want to give that a shot.  You could possible do this on Sunday as well if people are still in the area.  I know we had a lot of people do the Boston tourist thing on Sunday [many were OOT guests].  Depending on when your wedding is, there is always the Esplanade, which has concerts most Sundays in the summer.  Or if they are still doing Shakespeare in the Park on the Common, that's another option for warmer weather.  And both are free. :-) 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

ALF - I think the Piano Bar you referred to is Jake Ivory's, but they are closed :(  i found out when my MOH tried to make reservations for a bachelorette party there a a couple months ago.

To the OP - Since our wedding was on a Sunday, we invited OOT guests to go bowling that Saturday night, there was a band, pool tables, and 2 types of bowling, so it went over well.  There were about 20 of us.
    At other weddings I've been to, people split off & did their own things afterwards.  It's nice to want to entertain people, but it may just be enough to direct them to a few different options in the area.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I think that's the place, tibird.

Bowling is fun!  The Milky Way in JP is a really fun place to go to play, and they have billiards as well.  They usually have good live music on weekends too. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I am going to second ALF and say my reception was over around the same time 6 or 6:30 (I can't even remember now!) and we were spent.  Of course we had been hanging with friends and family on the Friday before the wedding.  I know several groups got together after the reception and hung out at the pool and did their own thing. My DH and I were very happy, tired and very content to hide in our room and order a late dinner from room service.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

The Milky Way has moved to a new location and I am pretty sure they don't have bowling anymore.

[QUOTE]I think that's the place, tibird. Bowling is fun!  The Milky Way in JP is a really fun place to go to play, and they have billiards as well.  They usually have good live music on weekends too. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]The Milky Way has moved to a new location and I am pretty sure they don't have bowling anymore.
    Posted by TheLongestTime[/QUOTE]

what the heck?! I move out of Boston and all the good places go kaput?!  That stinks.  Well, take Milky Way off the list then. The pizza/food wasn't THAT good. I mean, it was okay, but I def went there for the bowling and ambiance. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

The Milky Way no longer has bowling.

There's Jillian's, Kings and Lucky Strike for games.

Some of the bars in the Theatre District have karaoke if you think your guests would be up for it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but I figured I would throw it out there.  Friends had a noon wedding on a Saturday that was over at about 6pm.  They arranged to rent out the pool of the hotel where most of the guests were staying from 6pm to 12am.  The hotel provided trays of finger food and soda and for real drinks we just walked into the hotel's bar and paid for what we wanted. The hotel was prepared and had extra tropical drink supplies on hand. The bride used really simple decorations to turn the pool are into a "beach party" including  toys and water games for the little kids(and big kids in their 20s and 30s). It was a lot of fun and a great way to keep the party going and include all ages.