Any Boston Harbor Hotel Brides? (BHH)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Any Boston Harbor Hotel Brides? (BHH)

Are there are brides out there who are having the reception at BHH?  We are getting married there this fall and I had a few questions regarding our "proposed" estimate.  It mainly surrounds the estimated consumption cost of drinks and I was just wondering if any prior brides or current can help shed some light.  I feel that the bar tab is VERY high based on what we expect to be consumed.  We have 157 invited guests.....  doesn't $16k for a bar tab seem ridiculously high to you all?  7 of these guests are children and maybe 25 are not even going to have 1 drink.  I thought $8000 was a very generous estimate, am I wrong?  I should say that their estimate assumes 160 people drinking nearly 10 drinks/piece.  Ahh, the details! :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Any Boston Harbor Hotel Brides? (BHH)

Please tell me you are joking when you say you are paying $16,000 for open bar!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Wish I was joking!  That is what the estimated.  Can you believe it??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Well, if you're will to pay that, than I guess there is nothing you can do about it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

That does seem very high. Ask about limited open bar. Your guests would be able to enjoy beer, wine and champagne, but any hard liquor would have to be paid for. This is what DH and I did, and it was the best decision. No one got sloppy drunk. No one needs to be drinking martinis or whiskey neat at a wedding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We had 80 people and an open full bar from cocktail hour all the way to about 9:00 pm at the reception.  It was $1700.  On the low side, admittedly, but I'm pretty sure no one was holding back to save us money, per se...at least I hope not.

So, I'm guessing it shouldn't be more than $5000 for 150 people.  Just a guess based on my cost, not on any particular knowledge of average open bar prices.  But, 3 times that seems ludicrous to me.  Just nutty expensive.

P.S.  Unless their drinks cost 3 or 4 time what they should, $8000 would be a very, very generous estimate for open bar for 154 average drinkers.  Ask them how much they are figuring it is PER drink...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

$16,000 for alcohol seems absolutely ridiculous to me. People have whole weddings on that kind of money. You need to talk to them again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUFISHBOY. Show RUFISHBOY's posts

I do believe this high. The estimate for my daughters wedding is $7,000 for approx 170 folks. ( not at BHH) I would recheck this in regards to what this includes. Is it top shelf liquors and wines? As PP asked, what are they charging per drink? Good luck

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from engagedkat. Show engagedkat's posts

BHH did this on my estimate as well...we had 180 guests and they'd estimated that each guest would have 9 drinks...That's just crazy at the alcohol price which is like 7.50 or 7.75 a drink...the non-alcoholic drinks are still $5...

You know you're guests, I know a lot of people who will have "9" drinks because they lose them, spill them, don't like them = because they aren't paying.  And I know people who will have 2 glasses of wine.

We ended up at the Seaport and our open bar per person, not consumption, for $180 people, with cordials is $5,000.00.  If that gives you an idea of about where it would be at.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

So the BHH estimates that each guest will get stinkin' drunk at every wedding they host? Way to con people into spending money they don't need to!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesskl. Show jesskl's posts

I hate to be captain obvious, but if this the estimate for a "consumption" bar, then its likely to be a lot lower in actual cost if your guessing your guests won't drink that much. An average of nine drinks per person sounds ridiculous (that means some  people would drink MORE than that...). If your guests actually drink an average of 5 drinks a person, then your cost will be a lot lower. The beauty of a consumption bar is that you pay for exactly what your guests drink....thats also the bad part of it as well! Find out how much a "per person" bar would be at BHH and you might realize that a consumption bar is the way to go.....IF, and only IF your guests are not big big drinkers.

My opinion is that the bar won't be 16K. Thats just scary, and I bet you anything they are trying to scare you into doing a "per person" pricing plan...because its likely that would actually be more expensive....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

BHH only has consumption bars, not per person.  I almost wish it was per person :)   Thans ladies... I agree--$16k was way out of whack, I actually went through my guest list and esitmated drinks and we came in MUCH below $16k. We thought around 6-7 thousand.  I think that is where it will end up.  But, I will let you know come October :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I think $16K is real high for a bar tab.  I'd be trying to keep it in the $5K to $7K range tops...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

We had 150 guests at a non-Boston and very reasonably priced venue - I say this only because we know things are more expensive in Boston, including drinks. Beers cost $3.75, wine $4.50 and cocktails between 4 and 6 bucks.

We set $3000 for consumption bar, then it switched to cash. We hoped it would get us to the dance portion of the night.

We barely made it through dinner. So, $3000 between 150 people in about 2-2.5 hours. We truly felt this was enough for our budget for drinks, as it gave each person between 4 and 5 drinks. If you want more than that, you can pony up some cash. Would I have liked to have had open bar all night, sure. Did I want to scrimp on flowers, or the food or not have ceremony musicians to do so? Nope.

HTH!

In Response to Any Boston Harbor Hotel Brides? (BHH):

Are there are brides out there who are having the reception at BHH?  We are getting married there this fall and I had a few questions regarding our "proposed" estimate.  It mainly surrounds the estimated consumption cost of drinks and I was just wondering if any prior brides or current can help shed some light.  I feel that the bar tab is VERY high based on what we expect to be consumed.  We have 157 invited guests.....  doesn't $16k for a bar tab seem ridiculously high to you all?  7 of these guests are children and maybe 25 are not even going to have 1 drink.  I thought $8000 was a very generous estimate, am I wrong?  I should say that their estimate assumes 160 people drinking nearly 10 drinks/piece.  Ahh, the details! :)
    Posted by klm44

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Our cocktail hour came to around $1600 for 150 guests.  Multiply that times 5 hours and you get $8000, but I do think that people slow down their drinking after the first hour or two.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Framerican- are you talking about at the BHH too? Or somewhere else?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Somewhere else (Brookmeadow CC)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdd01. Show jdd01's posts

Most of the places that I've seen that offer an open bar usually say about $35-$40 p/p...even that is $6000 for about 4 to 5 hours of service.  $16,000 is just outrageous! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

We literally went through every guest and determined who would be drinking more than 4/6 drinks and the number was SO SMALL!  I can't imagine coming close to that $6000 number.  We may just set a #, and if we reach that $ amount, close open bar and open cash bar.  I just hope people wouldn't be outraged but I think 5 hours of open bar is more than enough and also gracious, but, I could be wrong!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Our drinks will cost about 4,500 for 170 ppl open top shelf for 5 hrs.   We would prob. go over that number if we did consumption, usually consumption is more expensive than the price pp.   I think your idea of open bar till you hit your limit is perfect.  Just don;t tell people that the bar may be closing, otherwise you'll have people double f*isting it for fear that the bar may close down!!   (apparently f*sting is a word you cant use!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Talk to the coordinator about it and set a limit.  If they can charge you $16,000 they will.  I didn't have my reception there, but we use them at work at least once a week for client events and they charge for anything they can.  We often have to dispute charges.

Not trying to discourage you, they do a great job and the rooms always look beautiful.  But you have to be very specific and firm with them.  Get it set in stone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostoniangal2. Show bostoniangal2's posts

In Response to Re: Any Boston Harbor Hotel Brides? (BHH):
    Talk to the coordinator about it and set a limit.  If they can charge you $16,000 they will.  I didn't have my reception there, but we use them at work at least once a week for client events and they charge for anything they can.  We often have to dispute charges. Not trying to discourage you, they do a great job and the rooms always look beautiful.  But you have to be very specific and firm with them.  Get it set in stone.  
    Posted by dkb6248

I have to say this has not been my experience to date with the BHH at all.  Of course they are a business, and you should sanity-check anything they tell you just as you would with any other business transaction, but I've found them to have been more than upfront at volunteering ways that we could save money on our reception.  The bar situation is consumption only, no true "open bar" and no cash option, so obviously that doesn't work for everyone, but it does work for my guest list, which is mostly a light (on average) drinking crowd.  Their proposal to me also is for an average of almost 10 drinks (including wine with dinner and non-alcoholic drinks) per adult, but it's only an estimate, and they only charge what's actually consumed.  I expect in my case I'll be able to get away with at most 5 a person, which puts their total estimate (if I assume 5 per person) right in line with what I was expecting originally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sulesq. Show sulesq's posts

Hi KLM,
    I got married at BHH last August. We had 109 guests. The bar proposal was approx. $11,000. They charge $45/pp for reception beverages and $35/pp for wine with dinner. Then, add the gratuity, taxes and fees and this is how you come up with the number. My husband's family handled the bar costs so I do not have the exact figures, but I know he did get money back. We shut the bar down for dinner and only served wine.
    I am not sure how successful you will be at negotiating these costs, as they are standard at BHH. I would talk to your coordinator and tell him/her your concerns. Are you waaaay over your minimum already?
    Good luck!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Sulesq---  We were very much contemplating shutting the bar at dinner and my dad wasn't sure if this was the right thing to do.  However, the more I think about it (and have now heard of many people just serving wine with dinner) I feel it is a good option for us.  We are over the minimum at BHH, and our own drink estimate is around $7k (and even at that I think we are being generous for the drinks for many of our guests as this is not a big drinking crowd.)  How did you let your guests know about the bar at dinner?  Was there an announcement that it was going to be a wine service for dinner and then the bar re-opened after?  Just curious how to go about doing it.  Thanks so much!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Klm, while I think open bar is a great concept I have wishy washy views on it. When I get married (to my boyfriend), not even engaged yet...I don't know what I will feel about it. He will insist on having OB though. I feel like some, if not a lot, take advantage. They will get a drink of the top shelf stuff, take one sip, then just leave the drink to sit there! I have seen it many times! But I know my parents a long with my boyfriend insist we have it whenever we get married.

But damn, BHH charges a lot, huh?

Oh and for letting your guest know at dinner, maybe on your menu cards you could put something like "Dinner drink selection are "pinot girgio, merlot, etc" and then guest will get the hint. :)

Sections
Shortcuts