Anyone use Newton Marriott or Westin Waltham?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Anyone use Newton Marriott or Westin Waltham?

Hi Everyone!  We're finally starting our wedding planning for hopefully Fall 2010!  I've starting looking around and two hotels we are interested in are the Newton Marriott and the Westin Waltham.  Has anyone had or been to a wedding at these venues?  Feedback would be great!  I'm excited because both have options for Indian catering, although we haven't decided yet between Indian and American food.

The Newton Marriott is especially affordable.  Any recommendations for other nice budget venues we might want to consider would also be great!  We're thinking about 100 guests and need to stay in the $75 pp range for food.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Anyone use Newton Marriott or Westin Waltham?

Well you know my opinion on the NM :)

I personally thought the Westin Waltham's ballroom was a little too dark. The carpet is dark and the walls are lined with very dark wood. Now some people may think that is gorgeous, but it just wasn't for me. However, I LOVE Westin Hotels. I have always gotten superb service there and their beds are to die for!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Hi Trex! Congrats on starting your search! I haven't been to either hotel, but I used to live right near the Marriott. I LOVE the location - really convenient to 95 & the pike, plus it's pretty right on the river. The only thing I've heard is that the hotel is not that great, so if you have guests staying overnight you might want to take that into consideration. There is the hotel right near Riverside station that I think is a lot better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree, I've been to events at this venue and it always struck me as very very corporate feeling IMO. But, I've never been to a wedding there.

In Response to Re: Anyone use Newton Marriott or Westin Waltham?:
    [QUOTE]Well you know my opinion on the NM :) I personally thought the Westin Waltham's ballroom was a little too dark. The carpet is dark and the walls are lined with very dark wood. Now some people may think that is gorgeous, but it just wasn't for me. However, I LOVE Westin Hotels. I have always gotten superb service there and their beds are to die for!
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks guys!  We're visiting the Marriott tomorrow and I am SO excited!  I love that they have an outdoor ceremony area near the river.  And they are one of the few places I've seen that's in my budget.  The Westin looks nice, but I haven't gotten pricing info from them yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks guys!  We're visiting the Marriott tomorrow and I am SO excited!  I love that they have an outdoor ceremony area near the river.  And they are one of the few places I've seen that's in my budget.  The Westin looks nice, but I haven't gotten pricing info from them yet.
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

Good luck tomorrow! Are you certain that you want it in a hotel ballroom? If not, I'd highly recommend that you look at the Henderson House while you're in the area -it's only a couple miles from the Marriott. They also have an outdoor area for the ceremony, but it's not on the river. I'm not sure if they do Indian food. Let me know if you want our contact's information.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Cicirose!  We've attended a wedding at Henderson House before and it was beautiful, but I didn't like that dancing was separate from the dinner area.  It is gorgeous though!  When is your wedding?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Cicirose!  We've attended a wedding at Henderson House before and it was beautiful, but I didn't like that dancing was separate from the dinner area.  It is gorgeous though!  When is your wedding?

Good point! Ballrooms are definitely better if that's important for you. Plus they are so convenient for out-of-town guests.
    Our wedding is next May. Do you have a date yet or just the time of year? BTW, I love fall weddings!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Yeah, with our small budget and also small size (prob 100, maybe less) hotels seem to be the best deal (lower minimums), so I'm leaning that way.  Plus they seem to be more flexible on catering Indian food.  I feel limited because 1) many places seem to respond slowly to email and 2) I can't find many places in our budget.  <sigh>  Gotta keep looking!  How do people have time to do this?

We'd love at Sat in Sept 2010, but not sure what availability will be like.  So we're thinking August, Sept or October.  I love fall too!  I love spring as well, but my birthday is in May (11) and FI's is in June, so it tends to be a busy time of year for us!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Don't worry - everything will come together! You still have plenty of time. I think the fact that you're flexible with the date will make it easier to find a place that you love and will work for you. It'll be a huge relief once you find the venue because you'll have the date set, an idea of how much you can afford to spend on everything else, etc.

I definitely understand the frustrations of getting in contact through email. Some people only want to deal with you if you call them. It's kind of annoying!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

trex, there were a couple of brides from a year or so ago whose receptions were at the Newton Marriot and they were both very happy with them.  I can't remember their posting names at the moment but I remember the reviews were really good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Cicirose!  I know, the venue is the biggest part so I will be happy when we have that figured out!  Course we just started looking... getting ahead of myself!  Just hard to do when working full time.  :)

ETA: thanks cosmo!  I can't wait to visit the Newton Marriott tomorrow!  Liz highly recommends it also

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

They just renovated the NM, so just check it out and develop your own opinion!! :)

Their food is fantastic!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

trex, how did things go at the NM? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Things went okay at NM.  I *loved* the outdoor ceremony space they have.  It is right on the river and surrounded by trees.  Beautiful!  However, we liked but didn't love the ballroom and indoor space. And I was pretty disappointed to find out that the Indian catering package costs $50 pp to the hotel, but includes none of the amenities in the standard package. It includes 1 hr open bar, room for the B&G, and using the facilities, nothing else. Then you pay for all the food to the Bombay Club and if you want any of the other stuff that's included in the standard package (appetizer displays, chair covers, centerpieces, cake, wine service, etc, etc) you have to add it! We'll have to see how much the Indian food costs.  If we decide to do American food, they are still affordable (about $100 pp including everything) but maybe not for Indian food.

We're hopefully planning to visit 2 more hotels this weekend and see how their packages compare!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Things went okay at NM.  I *loved* the outdoor ceremony space they have.  It is right on the river and surrounded by trees.  Beautiful!  However, we liked but didn't love the ballroom and indoor space. And I was pretty disappointed to find out that the Indian catering package costs $50 pp to the hotel, but includes none of the amenities in the standard package. It includes 1 hr open bar, room for the B&G, and using the facilities, nothing else. Then you pay for all the food to the Bombay Club and if you want any of the other stuff that's included in the standard package (appetizer displays, chair covers, centerpieces, cake, wine service, etc, etc) you have to add it! We'll have to see how much the Indian food costs.  If we decide to do American food, they are still affordable (about $100 pp including everything) but maybe not for Indian food. We're hopefully planning to visit 2 more hotels this weekend and see how their packages compare!

Hmmm... can you point out that it's discrimination to include all these extras only for people who order American food? 

I mean, what if I want to serve nachos and tacquitos at my wedding?  Do I have to pay extra, too?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I know, it is really irritating.  This killed me too:  to save money, I asked how much of a credit we would get if we took centerpieces out of the standard package.  You get $1 back pp!  So, that's about $10 per table.  I doubt they only cost $10 each to make, but they won't give you a reasonable amount because they try to lock you into their packages I guess.  It is frustrating!

And can I just vent about the Westin Waltham?  I have called them multiple times to get information and they keep saying they will email it to me and then they don't!  The coordinator has not called me or sent me any information.  I hear the place is gorgeous and affordable, but I'm pretty frustrated with their lack of response.  If they aren't responsive now, I can't imagine how frustrating they are after they get your business! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

We used the Waltham Westin for lodging only.  We had the service at a local country club but all the out of towners stayed at the Westin (as did I the night before and us the night of) and we had the brunch there.  The only problem I remember was there must have been a prom (weird for early September) or something that night and it was awkward to be sharing space with all those kids.  But no complaints.
    Maybe just look into what else is going on that day/night that might impact you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, with our small budget and also small size (prob 100, maybe less) hotels seem to be the best deal (lower minimums), so I'm leaning that way.  Plus they seem to be more flexible on catering Indian food.  I feel limited because 1) many places seem to respond slowly to email and 2) I can't find many places in our budget.  <sigh />  Gotta keep looking!  How do people have time to do this? We'd love at Sat in Sept 2010, but not sure what availability will be like.  So we're thinking August, Sept or October.  I love fall too!  I love spring as well, but my birthday is in May (11) and FI's is in June, so it tends to be a busy time of year for us!

Tradition has it that the first weekend in Sepetember (after Labor Day weekend) has a guarantee of good weather.  I know that in 2003 it was the 11th year in a row of good weather for that weekend.  Not sure about since then as 2003 was all I cared about.

Good luck!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

The first weekend after Labor Day is 9/11/2010.  We thought about it, but we decided we don't want our anniversary on 9/11.  Too bad!  I bet a lot places will have a hard time booking that date (and some brides who don't care will probably get a great deal!).

I was wishing that Saturday would be 9/13.  I really wanted to get married on a 13 (my lucky number) but the only one is in November, too cold!