Cape Cod Fall 2011 dilemma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

Cape Cod Fall 2011 dilemma

So I think we've decided that we want to have the wedding ceremony in my mom's backyard. It's on the water in West Dennis so there's a spectacular view.  Awesome, I know, so what's the problem?  The yard is really nice but it's tiered, and I don't think there's nearly enough room for a reception for 150-160 people with a tent and tables, etc.  Although I would do anything to make it work and I am open to creative suggestions...

So I am going to be checking out the following places this weekend for a reception:

West Dennis Yacht Club, Sea View in Dennisport, The Dennis Inn, and the Cape Cod Museum of Art. 

All of these places require you to use their caterer (besides the museum, I think, but I am not sure about that).  Any pros/cons or suggestions? How about the food?  

So far wedding planning is hell and I could very well lose my mind over this nonsense.   

Thank you for your help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Cape Cod Fall 2011 dilemma

I'd first contact the town of West Dennis to see what you need in terms of a permit to have a party that large, what restrictions there are regarding parking, the cost of portapotties [unless you parents have 5+ bathrooms you are going to need something], the cost of an insurance rider, and the cost of mutliple tents and heating units.  Also, the cost of a caterer and whether they will have enough room to set up and serve. 

I don't see a real issue w/ a tiered yard - just set it up w/ multiple tents - several tents for tables and dinner, and a separate tent for dancing.  Talk to tent people or other party planning people to see if you have enough floor space to do what you want. I think this is an instance where you might want to pay an expert for an opinion about the amount of space you have and logistics of set up.  Then make a decision from there.  Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

LisaSull...

I just planned a tented wedding down the Cape for October 1st, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I'm having mine at the Corsair & Crossrip, in Dennisport. I'm having ~160, and using a 50x80 tent. The problem I find with multiple tents is that you are going to spend a fortune (tents, plus side walls, plus heaters, delivery and set up fee, etc...), and you need to zone out the yard to make sure they can stake where they need to if you were to do it in your mom's backyard.

Another place to consider is the Pelham House in Dennisport, they have a beautiful yard right on the water. They're charge for use of the land is $5,000 which is why I didn't go with them. The Corsair only charges you for the rental of the beach house that lies on the property of the yard where you'll have your tent, which is $1950 for the whole week. The only other requirement is that you have to have 20 booked rooms in the hotel across the street. With 160 guests, and waterfront rooms starting at $155, that's pretty easy to do.

I'm using the Dennis Inn caterer (Treats Catering) which I've been really happy with. They have an event of the 20th at the Dennis Inn for brides where you can taste all their food. They are by no fancy schmancy (like Casual Gourmet) but for a beach wedding, they're great and reasonable.

I could give you a list of all the vendors I'm using for my wedding (I have slight OCD and made spreadsheets for everything)...let me know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Cape Cod Fall 2011 dilemma:
    [QUOTE]So I think we've decided that we want to have the wedding ceremony in my mom's backyard. It's on the water in West Dennis so there's a spectacular view.  Awesome, I know, so what's the problem?  The yard is really nice but it's tiered, and I don't think there's nearly enough room for a reception for 150-160 people with a tent and tables, etc.  Although I would do anything to make it work and I am open to creative suggestions... So I am going to be checking out the following places this weekend for a reception: West Dennis Yacht Club, Sea View in Dennisport, The Dennis Inn, and the Cape Cod Museum of Art.  All of these places require you to use their caterer (besides the museum, I think, but I am not sure about that).  Any pros/cons or suggestions? How about the food?   So far wedding planning is hell and I could very well lose my mind over this nonsense.    Thank you for your help.
    Posted by lisasull79[/QUOTE]

as ALF mentioned, parking is something to consider. If you're just going to do the ceremony there, I don't think you'll need port-a-potties.

160 is a lot for a backyard, but a friend of mine pulled off a similar reception this summer. She had one tent on one of the upper tiers for the food, then one big tent on the big base tier for all of the tables and chairs. Instead of a dance floor, they just used the paved patio area, but of course you may not have that. There wasn't much dancing, everyone mostly just mingled and chatted.
    Her parents have 2.5 bathrooms, so it was just enough. there was a short line occasionally, but nothing too bad- of course she had about 120 people there. I'm not sure what an ideal person-to-bathroom ratio is.

it will certainly be logistically easier to have your reception at another venue, so that's a bonus. Plus venues sometimes will work with your vendors and take out some of the guess work. if you do a backyard reception, you'll be the one making sure everyone is in the right place at the right time. If you have plenty of willing helpers to which you can delegate, it won't be so bad, but if you'll have to (or want to) do it on your own, it will be a big undertaking.

I know exactly what you mean about planning being stressful and somewhat overwhelming. Just remind yourself that you'll (hopefully) only have to do it once! ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

Wow, this info is so helpful. I am totally hitting print in this chat and sharing it with my fiance and mom.  It couldn't come at a better time since we're going to the Cape on Saturday.  

@kinga9, the CorseAir sounds really interesting! I think we'll have to swing by there and check it out this weekend! We'll have tons of out of town guests, some of whom may want to extend their stay... it could be ideal.

I don't want to spend $5,000 on a rental fee for a venue, either, so Pelham's probably out.  

Just scared to do the math and discover that a tented backyard wedding will cost as much and be more work!  Which brings me to another question you might be able to help me with... day-of-coordination or wedding planner? any suggestions for a cape coordinator? 

As for the caterer, we are already meeting with the peeps at the Dennis Inn.  I've heard amazing things about their food!  Sounds like a great choice to me.

I'll take some pics of the yard this Saturday so you can see what I'm dealing with...  

Can't WAIT to get to the dress shopping phase!  

Thanks....  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Yes- if you do decide to go backyard, get a coordinator, it will make your life easier. Most planners include day-of coordination in their services, or at least give you that options, I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Mark Downey is the contact person/owner at the Corsair, and he will do my day-of coordinating. He's been wonderful so far.

We honestly picked the Corsair because 80% of our guests are coming in from out-of-state. Once they land at Logan/TF Green, and drive down the Cape, they don't have to leave. We're doing everything (rehearsal, welcome BBQ, ceremony and reception) all on the property (all different locations too) and there's plenty for them to do in the area for breakfast and bars, ice cream and parks.

I was shocked to see the sticker price too, but the vendors I have have all been great and reasonable.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Lisasull...how did it go this past weekend?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

In Response to Re: Cape Cod Fall 2011 dilemma:
    [QUOTE]Lisasull...how did it go this past weekend?
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]

Hi Kinga9, 

Let's just say it was a "learning experience."  So I came to find out that although a backyard wedding was very possible at the house (thx to totally-competent Tony from Undercover Tents and Jamie from Cape Cod Celebrations, both who met us at the house). BUT my mother decided to totally VETO the idea on Sunday b/c it "stressed her out too much".  Sigh.  That's family for you.  
    Here are my thoughts on the mid-cape venues we went to:

WDYC:  Beautiful, but Wendy the Event Coordinator was not a happy person. That much was obvious. No way would I want to work with her.  Brides, steer clear of West Dennis Yacht Club if you prioritize professionalism, flexibility, and some event-planning know-how.  She don't got it.    

Cape Museum of Art:  too small for a group of 150. And you have to bring EVERYTHING in. I mean everything (on top of the site rental fee).  Quaint, but not practical.  

Ocean Edge - Bay Pines Pavilion:  It was the only one of their several reception spots at the resort still avail for Oct 2011 that could accommodate our size.  I liked it, but I wasn't thrilled about a poolside wedding in mid-October. I will say that Heather was extremely sweet and super resourceful - she was willing to throw in a bridal suite and a beach bonfire with smores if we booked. Still, its October.  We're not buyin it.  

The Dennis Inn: I really, really liked Brad and Cathy.  they also own treats catering so I know the food would be good.  The downside is it doesnt have the views or setting other venues have, but Brad/Cathy know their target: they don't mark up the rental fee, which is really refreshing.  So we are seriously considering that and are going back again this Sunday for a tasting.

We're also sort of randomly going all the way to Wellfleet to check out the CYCC. Any info on that place? It looks super cool and laid back.  

When's your wedding date? Are you all set with everything or still in planning mode?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

Hi Lisasull79, I am a wedding planner and offer day of coordination service.  I see you may need someone to help with your wedding.  I am not supposed to advertise my business on these boards but if you give me your email address I'd be happy to get in touch with you to talk about your specific needs.  Thanks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Good to hear that you had a productive weekend in looking at all the different places. It's better to find out now that the wedding coordinator was terrible at WDYC! It might be better for both you and your mom to have it elsewhere...you don't want your mother stressed out that day because it'll only make you stressed out and then you both can't enjoy the day. Let someone else stress out on their own property.

Our date is October 1st, and I'm too a little nervous about doing a beach/tent wedding that late in the season, but I'm hoping for a warm fall like this past year. If not, portable heaters it is! We have the tent (Undercover, which I haven't personally met yet but my parents trusted him and thought he was great), Treats (We'll be there on Sunday as well later in the afternoon...I'm really looking forward to that), DJ (Scott Rosenthal of Cape Tunes), flowers (The Bourne Florist), and we're meeting with a photographer on Sunday after Treats.  I picked up my dress last Saturday. I'm in a bit of lull, and feel like I should be doing something, but there's nothing at the moment that I can think. (Anyone feel free to chime in if you think I have a gaping hole I need to fill :-)

The CYCC looks great! We never looked that far up the Cape since my family is based in Harwich. Did you end up looking at the Sea View in Dennis Port?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from flychick. Show flychick's posts

LisaSull - have you looked at the Red Jacket Inn?  We considered this for our wedding a few years ago.  http://www.redjacketresorts.com/red_jacket_beach_resort/
    The view from the reception room isn't right on the water but the resort overall is right on the beach and nice if you have a lot of guests form out of town.  Not sure if the coordinator we met with is still there but they seemed good to work with.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kristen83185. Show kristen83185's posts

Jumping in late on this! Anyone else have any Cape tips? I just got engaged and we're looking for September 2012 down there. The problem i'm finding is most places are max 200. Right now we have 265 on our list (awful, I know). I'm hoping to get it down to 200 somehow.

I really liked the Dennis Inn but it looked from the info they sent me that the dancing and dinner is separate - is that true?

Anyone have any opinions on New Seabury, Coonamesset or anywhere else?

We are definitely more of a laid back type of wedding but still want a nice, classy place.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Hello Kristen, I got married at The Flying Bridge Restaurant last May.  Their max is 225 and guest list wise we were pushing it (236 at our final count) but ended up with 181.  We absolutely loved it there and were very happy with our choice. 

Also, we've been to the Coonamesset for a friends wedding (sister restaurant to the Flying Bridge) and I believe their room holds 250-300.  Both places were great and the food is amazing but we wanted the ocean view that the Flying Bridge offered.

Any other Cape questions just let me know!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rama8677. Show rama8677's posts

Kristen - We got married at Willowbend Country Club in Mashpee in Sept. 2008.  We are not members there but heard it was beautiful and went to check it out and fell in love.  THe room capacity is 300, I think.  We had about 120 people. 

Also - we used allison from elegant engagemetns for our day-of coordinator and she was FABULOUS and fairly reasonable in terms of price. HTH.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Jumping in late on this! Anyone else have any Cape tips? I just got engaged and we're looking for September 2012 down there. The problem i'm finding is most places are max 200. Right now we have 265 on our list (awful, I know). I'm hoping to get it down to 200 somehow. I really liked the Dennis Inn but it looked from the info they sent me that the dancing and dinner is separate - is that true? Anyone have any opinions on New Seabury, Coonamesset or anywhere else? We are definitely more of a laid back type of wedding but still want a nice, classy place.
    Posted by kristen83185[/QUOTE]

Th Dennis Inn has two separate rooms connected by the bar in the middle room. They also have a option for a tent in the front lawn which may make more sense for a wedding of your size. We're using their caterer for our wedding (Treats Catering) and the food that we have tasted so far has been amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Check out the Sea Pines Inn in Brewster.  My sister got married there and I think it was fairly reasonable -- compared to most Cape venues, anyway. 

Personally, I think having a tent wedding at the Cape is MAJOR insanity.  The weather in the fall is so unpredictable, and no one wants to be in a tent when it's rainy or cold, especially on the water.

Keep in mind, too, that when you have a wedding that involves travel and hotel costs (do the hotels have a 2-night minimum, BTW), your response rate will generally be lower.  Take this into consideration when discussing costs with your venues - i.e. if you're planning for 160 but only 125 accept, what will happen, i.e. their minimums, etc.

Best wishes, and keep us posted with what you find out!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kristen83185. Show kristen83185's posts

Cosmo that's a good point about what happens with the minimums - I hadn't even thought of that! Ahh so much to think about :)

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions! We're looking this weekend at the Wychmere, Woodshole CC, Poonamesset Tent, Coonamessett Inn, Sea Crest Hotel, White cliffs and Indian Pond. PHEW! If I survive this weekend I feel like I can survive anything! :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]Check out the Sea Pines Inn in Brewster.  My sister got married there and I think it was fairly reasonable -- compared to most Cape venues, anyway.  Personally, I think having a tent wedding at the Cape is MAJOR insanity.  The weather in the fall is so unpredictable, and no one wants to be in a tent when it's rainy or cold, especially on the water. Keep in mind, too, that when you have a wedding that involves travel and hotel costs (do the hotels have a 2-night minimum, BTW), your response rate will generally be lower.  Take this into consideration when discussing costs with your venues - i.e. if you're planning for 160 but only 125 accept, what will happen, i.e. their minimums, etc. Best wishes, and keep us posted with what you find out!
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]
    Here's hoping October 1st is warm under my tent!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

Don't forget to check out Ocean Edge resort in Brewster! the largest ballroom can accommodate a group your size. the event coordinator I met was named Heather and she was super nice. 

But due to costs and logistics, we decided not to get married on Cape. :(