ceremony venue sticker shock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: ceremony venue sticker shock

I can't help too much since we did our ceremony at the hotel where we got married.  But hotels quoted us between $500 and $1000 to hold a ceremony on site.

You have me curious:  how much did they quote you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We got married at the Wayside Inn, which is a non-profit historic landmark.  I think it was around $900 to use the chapel...can't remember exactly.  You're talking about just the ceremony, right, not the minimum for a reception, right?  That can be as high as $50,000.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Yup, I'm just talking about fee for holding the ceremony and the officiant; the reception is elsewhere. The $1500 the reception venue would charge for the ceremony there is now sounding like a bargain!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shell7. Show Shell7's posts

I was also surprised when I learned that it would cost $700 to get married in my FI's church. A majority of it actually goes to the organist and singer, whom you have to pay whether you choose to use them or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Zenbat I believe it depends on the individual parish, temple, etc.  My ceremony is at at the venue so I can't be any help with this.  But my first wedding was in a Catholic church 16 years ago and at that time the cost was $100 plus I had to pay the organist $75.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I know that some of the downtown Boston churches can be very pricey, but I'm not much help because I, too, had my ceremony at my reception location.

I'd say that if having your ceremony at that precise location is a priority, pay the fee. If you think it's in any way not worth the fee, then have it at the reception venue or find another, more affordable, site.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

It depends on the denomination, the church, etc.  Many won't allow it unless you're a member.

What percentage of your total wedding budget would the church's charge be?  Sometimes that helps put it in perspective....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

we had our ceremony at the hotel we had the reception and they charged $300 - however we had guests sit at their assigned tables because had we had it set up to have the ceremony and then break it down and set up the tables, etc. it would cost if I remember correctly in the vicinity of $2500!!!  I almost fell of my chair!!  we chose to have guests sit at the table for the 20 minute ceremony!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Our would-be officiant wants to charge us well over $2500 for his services and use of the building. (I'm actually ashamed to give a number.) The only more expensive things on the budget are reception and photographer.

The place isn't huge. We're probably going to need to bring in a couple dozen extra chairs.

My FI is very set on having the ceremony there, so I think I'm stuck with it. A friend of his just got married at the same place, for the same fee, so I don't think we're going to be able to negotiate. FI has known would-be officiant for 15 years and has been good friends with him. I feel like he's taking advantage of FI's desire to have him do the ceremony.

Maybe the fee will count as a tax-deductible donation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: ceremony venue sticker shock:
    Our would-be officiant wants to charge us well over $2500 for his services and use of the building. (I'm actually ashamed to give a number.) The only more expensive things on the budget are reception and photographer. The place isn't huge. We're probably going to need to bring in a couple dozen extra chairs. My FI is very set on having the ceremony there, so I think I'm stuck with it. A friend of his just got married at the same place, for the same fee, so I don't think we're going to be able to negotiate. FI has known would-be officiant for 15 years and has been good friends with him. I feel like he's taking advantage of FI's desire to have him do the ceremony. Maybe the fee will count as a tax-deductible donation.
    Posted by zenbat

If your friend paid the same amount, I'm guessing it is a standard fee.  My friend used a church in Brookline and I think she was also shocked to find out the fee was about $2K and that was 10 years ago.  I'm thinking the $2500 fee is not that unusual.  If you think about it, you are reserving the building for several hours (even if the ceremony is only 30 mins, the building has to be open for probably 2 hrs at the minimum for the event) and your fee covers the officiant, the staff, hopefully the organist/soloist, cleaning before and after the event and upkeep on the building.  It doesn't sound that crazy to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yipes! That is a lot of money, but if your FI has his heart set on it, and you can afford it, it's probably best to just go with it. you can try mentioning other things you could do with that money to your FI, but it might not change his mind.

it probably has more to do with supply and demand, as Trex points out. If it's a popular place in a popular area, they can charge what they want.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

i got married at a synagogue a few weeks ago (need to write vendor reviews) which charged $2600 for space rental of pretty much the whole building.  we got married in the sanctuary and had the reception there too so paid an extra $100 to bring in rented chairs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

Very few weddings are held at the place (buddhist temple, former church). Our fee covers officiant and use of the space for ceremony and rehearsal. At the last wedding there, the guests put the chairs away at the end of the ceremony, so I'm thinking clean up is our responsibility. There is no musician/organist.

I think I just need to find a way to stop being upset, since FI has his heart set on this.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I'm with Trex in thinking he's probably not hosing you; rather, it's the standard fee.  Still, I understand the sticker shock!  Yowza.  And since you're not personally set on using that particular place, I can see how it's hard to come to terms with it.  You're probably right, though, that you'll have to roll with it if it's what your FI really wants (and youv'e already discussed it).  Good luck!  I sometimes have trouble letting things go.  Definitely working on that.  :)

For what it's worth, we ended up using a chapel whose rental fee was $150 for us and $300 for the public.  Our Justice of the Peace charged $75, and we paid her $150, because we thought she did such a good job and $75 felt like so little. 

Before we decided on our venue, we were considering one where the ceremony options were much pricier than those at the venue we ultimately chose.  We made our decision for other reasons, so it became a moot point, but I remember having more than one discussion about the fact that the reception (party) would only occur as a celebration of the actual ceremony; and even at the higher price, the ceremony would be a relatively small portion of our budget.  That helped me reason through it all.  Still, even our higher costs were low compared to $2,500, so I'm not sure that's completely applicable here.  I genuinely understand how a fee that high is hard to swallow.  If you end up using this place and your FI's friend, pat yourself on the back for bending more on this compromise.  It'll come back to you in good karma!  : )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

If you end up using this place and your FI's friend, pat yourself on the back for bending more on this compromise.  It'll come back to you in good karma!  : )
    Posted by Rirlo01[/QUOTE]

Earning good karma is exactly how FI is spinning it. And $4k ought to buy a bundle of it . . .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have to say, I would absolutely positively not spend over $2500 for a ceremony location.  Everyone has different priorities, but I would have immediately crossed it off my list. I hope DH will be willing to compromise, if that's what you want to do.

I've always heard of churches charging a couple hundred bucks, maybe $500 for the more expensive ones.  My venue charged $500 plus I had to rent the chairs, but that was only around $150 if I remember correctly.  The fee added an extra half hour onto our rental period.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

I hear you Fram. I don't want to spend the money myself but fiance is adamant about it. Thankfully he's the one paying for it. I should have pushed harder for elopement!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

It varies from venue to venue...you won't see the fees online either..a friend of mine's daughter recently got married and the charge for the church alone was $1K..they changed their "fee structure" about a year after they quoted her the rates for the officiant, organist, soloist, use of church, etc...the individual fees were much less than the $1K...

seems like the churches, temples, etc. are trying to "make a buck" the same way reception venues are..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Well if it your fiance's family temple then hopefully it is a charitable/community organization that you feel comfortable supporting. Just think of it as a donation towards this group that you support. Also think about what is included. Our officiant was referred to us by a member of my husband's extended family. He was quite pricey but he did extensive premarital counseling with every couple who he married (he had a phd and clinical training in this, along with his theological training).  So it was kind of a bundled service. I didn't think of it as we were just paying to get the ceremony done.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bennu7407. Show bennu7407's posts

We were looking at places, and I almost fell over when I heard it was $3000 to use the church my mom wanted us to use.  Then she almost fell over....
    One hotel in Cambridge wanted $1700 for the ceremony on site.  No thanks!
    The place we are going with is not charging us any fees for set up or ceremony on site. We love it!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wonder if they charge more during the summer when there is a big demand for each weekend.  If budget and ceremony venue are extremely important to a couple, they might consider asking about prices in the off season (if their wedding date isn't as important as those other two factors).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's a good idea, Kar. Plus room rates and air fares are sometimes cheaper in the off season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

I would have loved to not have the wedding in the summer, but that was another point on which I had no choice, er, had to compromise on. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I understand.  DH actually wanted ours to be in the Fall, and that was a compromise for me, a summer girl, although, I have to admit I came around and LOVED our date (Nov 9).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWR1. Show DWR1's posts

In Response to ceremony venue sticker shock:
    I just learned how much our intended ceremony venue is going to charge my FI and me. I was . . . appalled (more than twice what I expected). Either the fee churches, etc., charge around here are higher than I thought or we are seriously getting hosed. I suspect the latter. Anyone know what churches, temples, and the like charge for weddings in the Boston area (most don't seem to list their fees online)? Thought it might be good to get some numbers for comparison before I completely freak out.
    Posted by zenbat

Sections
Shortcuts