ceremony venue sticker shock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWR1. Show DWR1's posts

Re: ceremony venue sticker shock

Try the Old Kings Chapel on School Street in Boston accross from the Omni Parker House Hotel as alot of people use this beautiful historic venue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Our ceremony was at our reception site too and they charged $600 (outside gazebo and garden with a patio with chairs set up for guests). Our JP was $120, which included meeting a few times, this great design-your-own-ceremony binder, the rehearsal, and the ceremony.

We got married on a Friday night in July--it was $5k cheaper to it Friday over Saturday!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

In Response to Re: ceremony venue sticker shock:
    Our ceremony was at our reception site too and they charged $600 (outside gazebo and garden with a patio with chairs set up for guests).
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Sounds like you got a great deal. :)   It that ceremony workbook something one can get ina bookstore?

FI is adamant about the ceremony location and officiant, so I'm stuck with it. We didn't tell FMIL about the price, as she'd probably use it to push for a Catholic wedding. She's already suggested covering up the big gold Buddha for the ceremony. I'm not sure how she'd explain a big figure wearing a white sheet to her relatives.

My reception site and a hotel I looked at both charge $1500 for a ceremony. Maybe that's the standard at hotels.

Surprisingly, I found better hotel prices in late June than in April (when we had wanted to get marrried).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Check out this wedding ceremony planner.  We used it to write our ceremony and it was INVALUABLE!! 

The Wedding Ceremony Planner, by Judith Johnson

http://www.amazon.com/Wedding-Ceremony-Planner-Essential-Important/dp/1402203438/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295376286&sr=8-1

PS.  WPP, that's awesome that your JP included the binder for $120.  We talked to one JP who provided a similar service, but he wanted to charge us $400 to use the materials he put together!  I got this book from the library for free and it was awesome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Trex, that's insane that he wanted to charge you $400 for his binder! You wouldn't pay near that for something edited, published, and in a book store!

Zenbat, my JP put together this particular binder but like trex suggested, you can find others. It sounds like your ceremony and officiant are locked in, but if anyone else is interested, John Scuto was an awesome JP. His web site is www.blueskyweddingservices.com and he's based out of NH, but will travel.

John and his wife Cathy are a JP team (they're actually both JPs, but John does the ceremony). I forgot to mention this earlier, but their price included Cathy as a ceremony coordinator. At first I was blase about it, just, "sure, it's included, whatever," but she was indispensible. She got the guys organized (someone had to!) and made sure they had their bouts, were on time and on location, she set up the ceremony space (we did one of those sand ceremony things, and she had all that stuff ready to go), and she got my girls and me all lined up.

They're a really nice couple and it was super easy to work with them. You can customize your ceremony (the binder they have is a guide, and it was really helpful because I didn't know where to start). DH and I had a totally nonreligious ceremony, but you can also make it as religious as you like and John and Cathy will help you organize everything.

Wow, this got long. You can probably tell they were my favorite vendors, lol!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: ceremony venue sticker shock:
    Trex, that's insane that he wanted to charge you $400 for his binder! You wouldn't pay near that for something edited, published, and in a book store!
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Yeah, I thought that was insane.  The $400 was his total fee, but in MA the price a JP can charge for a basic ceremony is fixed at $150.  They can add an extra fee to "customize" the ceremony and that is what he did.  So basically it was an extra $250 to use his binder.  And yeah, you don't get to keep it, you just borrow it.  The book I found had way more information in it than his binder, and it is only like $12 on amazon!  Oh yeah, he also gave you a fake certificate on your wedding day (bc in MA you don't get a copy of your marriage license unless you order it), but that was really cheesy.

PS.  I looked at your JP too and they were SOOOO nice!  I forget why we didn't use them, but I really wanted to.  They must have been booked or something.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbilodeau. Show dbilodeau's posts

I got married at Goddard Chapel at Tufts University…you don’t have to be an alumni to get married there.  They charge $400 (I got married in 2009 so that may have changed)…they do ceremonies of all denominations.  You can use your own priest/pastor/rabbi, etc or one from the University.  I used an organist that Tufts recommended and I think she charged around $150.  The campus is beautiful and we ended up doing all our photos there.  They were my easiest vendor to deal with.

Sections
Shortcuts