Charles River Museum of Industry?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lisasull79. Show lisasull79's posts

Charles River Museum of Industry?

Hi all, 

I am late to the party - no pun intended - we're getting married on October 2011 and haven't nailed down any details, much less the venue. Starting to panic a little bit...

Any thoughts or experiences with weddings at the Charles River Museum of Industry in Waltham, MA? 

I am also considering the Epicenter, the Community Rowing Boathouse in Watertown, and Springstep in Medford. 

We're having about 150-170 people. we're trying to keep costs under $30,000.  

I am open to any and all suggestions... :) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Charles River Museum of Industry?

I've seen some amazing pictures of a wedding in Community Rowing. I think it was in the "Reader's Weddings" feature...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sf792. Show sf792's posts

Congrats on your wedding! Don't worry - I feel like there is a lot of pressure to plan everything really far in advance, and it can be stressful, but I think you are on the right track - you have your number of guests and a budget, and you're figuring out the venue first and taking it from there. 

The Charles River Museum of Industry was on our list, but we didn't get a chance to look at it because they were closed for a while (remodeling due to flooding?). I know that the Museum and Community Rowing allow you to bring your own caterer and alcohol, so that could help you save on costs. I went to visit Community Rowing, and it has a lovely room, but it is definitely a place where you'd have to do everything yourself, or get a caterer or planner to do it. By that I mean that you'd have to do everything from setting up tables, chairs, etc. to taking out your trash at the end of the night. I'm sure that certain caterers would do this, but you may want to consider whether or not you want a venue that provides a little more service.

One thing to note - are you looking for just a reception venue or a venue for both the ceremony and reception? Community Rowing and Springstep don't really have any outdoor space, if that's what you're looking for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

if you rent chairs and tables (most caterers also provide this service), most rental companies can and will set up and break it down for you.

If you're looking for a water-front reception, there's also the pavillion at The Museum of Science. A poster here recently got married there, and was pleased with the experience if I remember correctly.
    They do have some rigid rules- like you have to use their caterer and there's a minimum $-per person you have to spend, but their prices are reasonable. They set up the pavillion and everything.

Sections
Shortcuts