Cheap (Around 3K) Venues Near Westford/Chelmsford/Tyngsboro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Re: Cheap (Around 3K) Venues Near Westford/Chelmsford/Tyngsboro

Do you mean just a rental fee with no food included -- like a hall, museum, historical place?  Or are you looking for a place with food included?

How many guests?  Sit down dinner?  Dance floor?  Bar?

Need more info............

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from karab819. Show karab819's posts

Sorry that was a bit vague...
    It would be about 150 people, I'd like to have dinner, dance floor, & bar included in that fee of 3K that I mentioned.

Thank you for replying!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

In Response to Cheap (Around 3K) Venues Near Westford/Chelmsford/Tyngsboro:
    [QUOTE]Looking for a venue rental for around 3K for a wedding reception only. The ceremony is being held elsewhere. Anyone with any experience having a reception that cheap I need ideas desperately! Thanks!
    Posted by karab819[/QUOTE]
    Try the Chelmsford Elks Lodge.  Brand new facilities.  Most Elks halls are reasonably priced, but you'll probably need a Member to "sponsor" your event.  Call them and ask.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I'm REALLY sorry to burst your bubble, but that's a very unrealistic number for a dinner reception.  Let's assume the place has a $400 rental fee, that only allows around $12 per person for dinner (with a 20% service charge and 6.25 tax).  You would pretty much have to do all the cooking yourself to come in at that figure. 

You may be able to do a modest brunch buffet or very informal lunch or cookout.   The best way to stretch your budget, of course, it to SHAVE that guest list down to bare bones.  Like in half?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

You may be able to pull it off if you do it at a restaurant.  Someone on these boards had their reception at a restaurant a couple of years ago for under 4k (helphelp where are you when we need you?).  You could negotiate a fixed menu, maybe open bar for a few hours or just open bar for beer and wine, could hook up an iPod to their sound system.  Call around and see what restaurants in the area can host your group size and what options you have (maybe Westford Grille?).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Help didn't have 150 people. I think it was more along the lines of 50.

I think the OP could do it at a restaurant provided that she gave up the idea of a bar [or at least an open bar].  A lunch/brunch menu could be doable, but it's  going to be hard to find. 

Look at the Elks, Knights of Columbus, Hibernians, etc and see about renting those places. Then contact area Italian restaurants to cater. I think you could get the most bang for your buck w/ Italian food - lasagne, salads, meat dishes, etc.  Then buy a couple of cases of wine.  I think it's possible.

The Hibernian lodge in Peabody Square is huge on the inside and has gorgeous wooden floors.  I'm pretty sure they have a full kitchen in back so heating up stuff wouldn't be a problem.  Not sure of how you go about renting it. I was there for a client's Christmas party.  lol. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Cheap (Around 3K) Venues Near Westford/Chelmsford/Tyngsboro:
    Sorry that was a bit vague... It would be about 150 people, I'd like to have dinner, dance floor, & bar included in that fee of 3K that I mentioned. Thank you for replying!
    Posted by karab819

The only option you have is a morning wedding and brunch reception.

P.S.  Cut the guest list in half and you'll have a lot more options.

ETA:  I just read the other responses.  As usual on this topic, cos and I said the exact same thing and I think ALF is nuts. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe I should take a hint from BDC - I can't edit my post again.  But, darn it, I'm still thinking about it and want you to have a realistic expectation here...

$8/pp for bar (drinks and bartender)
    $500 rental fee (VERY cheap)
    _____
    $1700

That leaves
    $8.66/pp for dinner

Where can you get dinner, including tax and service fee, for under $9?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

nah, she could totally get Rinaldos or a place like that to cater.  Italian food isn't expensive to prepare.  My parents and aunts have had stuff catered for large groups of people and spent less than $1k on food. You can do it, but you have to look around. You may run overbudget depending on tax and servers fees. 

Unless she gets a great deal on wine [Kappy's anyone?] she likely will have to give up the bar w/ a $3k budget. 

I had a rental fee of $300 for my venue [it was a restaurant] and it included all linens, tableware, tables, chiavri chairs, servers, etc.  We got carried away w/ food, hors d'oeuvres and open bar, but the reception total cost came to under $9k for the whole kit and kaboodle, including tax and gratuities.  It did not include the photographer and band.  If we cut out the hors d'ouevres and just had cheese and fruit plates, we could have easily cut out $1000-1500.  Cutting out the bar would have saved another $1800.  We had 100 people. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You were very fortunate to have everything available in that range.  Not everyone has vendors and venues in their area that are so cheap.  If she still wants a bar and something other than an Italian buffet she's sunk.  She can TRY to make it work, but if that fails, the guest list slash is the way to go.

By the way, we spent about what you did on the bar.  We had 80 people and spent $1700.  I didn't notice anyone over indulging so I'm guessing it's about average.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Oh, I totally agree that if she can cut the guest list to around 100, she'd be in a better position.  DH's brother and cousin got totally wasted, but they were quiet about it.  Several people were totally tanked, but weren't jerks about it, and they were walking back to their hotel a few blocks away so it wasn't a problem.

A lunch menu might work too.  She could do soups, sandwhiches and salads. Brother's Deli in Salem is not super expensive and I'd bet they'd cater.  She could probably try to do a Mexican meal too, b/c how much do beans and cheese really cost.  Then again, Mexican for a large group at a wedding may not work unless you have enough bathrooms. ;-) 

Most "wedding" places hose you on rental fees. I mean, is the space usage alone REALLY worth several thousands of dollars, esp where nothing is included but use of the space?  If it includes other stuff, that's great, but otherwise, I'd keep looking.  If you are giving them several thousands of dollars worth of business, the least they can do is provide you w/ an area to have your event, water, electricity, tables, chairs, linens and dishes.  Esp since they have those things readily available in the first place!

Also, ladies, instead of just telling her it's not possible to have a reception for this amount, how about telling her how she CAN make it work w/ that figure?  Something other than cut the guest list. Let's get creative.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

She told us what she wanted.  I find suggesting brunch (like I did, actually) or not having a bar, somewhat less tasteful than telling her that exactly what she's looking for on that budget is probably impossible.  She can go from there and decide what she wants to cut.  The guest list keeps coming up because it's the absolute easiest way to keep everything she's explicitly stated she wants (dinner, dancing, bar).  Your ultra-low-cost experience isn't average nor should it be expected to be found.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I don't think I had an unusually low cost experience. Other brides have posted on here about bargains they found for venues.  Two I specifically recall are Help's experience at a restaurant in Lowell, and another bride who had her reception at the Commonwealth Club in Boston.  Of course, these were both smaller weddings, like 50-100 pp. 

You  get hosed w/ fees at traditonal wedding locations - be that hall or hotel.  If you look into restaurants, it's way less for room rentals. 

Actually, we had our RD in Salem for 40 people, w/ a full open bar and sit down dinner for under $2k. There was a very minimal rental fee, maybe $100 or so.  It included a full 3 course meal and any beverage, alcoholic or otherwise, that you wanted. We had a private room, a private patio and an ocean view.  There is no room for a dance floor, though. 

You can definitely do inexpensive weddings; you just need to think outside the box. I'm just cheap and the thought of paying thousands for a rental fee rubbed me the wrong way.  :-D

ETA: and didn't another poster find a pretty inexpensive retaurant venue in Newburyport?  She got married at nearby woods [some town or state park] and then had the reception at a restaurant.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

state parks sometimes allow receptions, and I believe they're pretty cheap. Just eb sure to check and see if alcohol is allowed or if you need an additional permit. My best friend's uncle had a reception in a state park. they bought beer & wine from a liquor store and filled a canoe with ice and it was good to go. no servers or bartenders necessary. some guests brought liquor to contribute to the canoe.
    Then they had a BBQ buffet and we all sat at picnic tables to eat. Again, no servers necessary. I believe the only thing they had to rent was the dance floor & a tent to go over it. instead of a band or a DJ they had karaoke (which is not for everyone, but this group of people ate it up)
    They had the ceremony at a church, and we all got dressed up for that. but the invitation had an insert that said that the reception would be very casual. it was fun to kick off our heels, put on some jeans and sing & dance the night away.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Helphelp had hers at a restaurant called Cobblestones in Lowell, I believe.  Looks like the function rooms only hold up to 100 though.  Check it out.
    http://cobblestonesoflowell.com/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Yeah, Alfie, I wasn't trying to be Debbie Downer, I was just doing a reality check.

Heck, I just spend $300 for the crackers and cheese and appetizer fixings for a 20-25 people party at my house.  AND friends are bringing stuff.  That's $12 per person!!! 

Waiting to hear back from original poster to get her input on the issue of the guest list. 

An issue with restaurants is that, generally, when you get over a small limit, say 50, it moves into the "function" category and the costs go way up.

And, for $3000, I think we are talking cash bar.  But, we'll see.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

For the OP, I am bored and waiting for my sister to call me and tell me her plane landed so I can go pick her up, so I have free time.  I just googled caterers in the north shore area.  I found this one that may be worth looking into.  Their prices look to be w/in your range:

http://www.santoros.com/

Now, I know nothing about this place. I have never eaten there, have no affiliation w/ them, etc.  But they look pretty affordable. Good luck.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I've found that almost every place I've looked at for my wedding reception is willing to waive the room rental fees. Our guest list is 215 people so I don't know if it's because of the economy, the short time frame (less than 6 months) or the number of people we're having but it's definitely worth asking! We also managed to get one place to throw in an extra hors d'ouver just because we asked.

$3k is a tall order, but don't count some place out if you really like them. You never know what you can negotiate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from karab819. Show karab819's posts

Thank you everyone so much for all of your advice.  I really appreciate it!
    I'm actually from Lowell right now and Cobblestones may be the answer if you say someone had it there fairly inexpensive.  I will check it out!\
    I guess I was trying, from my post, to get a feel to see if it was a feasible number (dollar wise) to be able to pull it off.  I guess I may have to hike it up a bit but if I really do my research it may be possible.  I've only been engaged for 2 weeks so I have plenty of time, but i'm just trying to get some ideas.  Thank you again!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

I looked at these spaces for a party... you might want to look into these:

http://www.westford.com/pca/renting.htm

http://www.kalevalittleton.org/

http://www.dineoutlook.com/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from flem26. Show flem26's posts

I used to work at the Westford Regency and they are very reasonably priced, with no room rental fees for social events. However, I would say dinner is out of the question and you might consider a brunch instead.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from flem26. Show flem26's posts

Salvatore's in Lawrence is making a big push for functions. Their food is delicious and the location has a big terrace on the Merrimack River.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I've hosted an event for work at Salvatore's and their event space is really lovely, the food is good for the price and the staff is easy to work with.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I looked at Salvatore's to have my reception. It was definitely the lowest price point of any of the places I looked at. One of the things I didn't like about them is that they really specialize in the buffet. They told us that it would take 2 hours to do a plated dinner. That just seemed really long to me. They also didn't have a cocktail hour package and I had a really hard time figuring out how many pieces of scallops wrapped in bacon we'd need. The woman who gave us the tour kept calling FI by the wrong name and mentioned the DJ about 3 times after we told her we're getting a band. I know that's just being knit-picky, but I wanted to make sure that the remembered the things I wanted on the big day. Those things kind of outweighed the cost savings for me. It's too bad, because the space is beautiful and I love going there for dinner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from alisonf143. Show alisonf143's posts

My cousin got married at the Alpine Grove in Hollis, NH (next to Nashua) and they were on a limited budget.  Good luck!