December Wedding in Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

December Wedding in Boston

Hi all! I just recently got engaged and am now trying to plan a December wedding in Boston for 75-85 people. I would really love to do something at the Four Seasons, Omni Parker, Ritz, or Taj. I have an extremely small budget of 20k for the reception. Any thoughts on whether this could work? I've heard the Ritz ran a special of $165 pperson including open bar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: December Wedding in Boston

Congrats and Welcome!  

My first thoughts are what are you including in "the reception"  is this for just food/drink. Or are you including things like linens, space rental..etc in that cost.  20K is by no means a small budget for just the reception, but when you are talking about the Taj it may be.  I can't help you with pricing info for those specific places, I'd say just call and find out what their pricing is pp.   I bet you will be able to do it with the 20K because you have a small sized wedding.  You may be able to get discounts on the venue rental because it is December as well.  The day you choose will also be a factor a Friday or a Sunday is cheaper than a Saturday.  I got married in Boston on a Saturday in July, so I really had to be creative on where I saved money.  You may be able to do so just beacuse you are getting married "off season."  Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats and welcome!  :)

$20,000 is a very nice budget, you can do a LOT with that.  But, those places are probably still out of reach.  I think they have minimums above that, but call to make sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

I am hoping to spend 20K on reception, band, and cake. I know that the Ritz has offered some pretty fabulous offers in the past and am hoping to find one again. I am planning on doing a weekday wedding in December between Christmas and New Years. Do you think this would drive the cost up?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I don't know about December dates.  Between Christmas and New Years should avoid the holiday party rush that makes wedding venues expensive at that time of year, but I"m not certain.

Some budgeting advice to keep in mind:

A great band on a Saturday night will be several thousand dollars by itself.  (I would guess that you would get estimates between $3500-8000, very roughly speaking, unless you go some non-traditional route with the band.)  Cake is much less expensive than the other things on your list (in the hundreds, typically, for a guest list of your size).  Remember to include a flower budget.  Floral centerpieces really add up, and I don't know if that is part of the $20k budget. (Divide your guest list by 8 or 10 for the number of centerpieces you will need.  Short centerpieces of a reasonable size, I would guess you'll spend $40-80 each depending on what you want; tall centerpieces can be $150+).

Also, be sure to ask about tax and service fees when you get price quotes from venues.  Many venues will tell you "about $165 per person" and then you have to add 25% in fees/tax on top of that.  That extra fee really blew a few places out of reach for us.

I get that you want an upscale vibe and a downtown/back bay location.  You might want to look into the Hampshire House and the Harvard Club of Boston (which has 2 locations).  I heard that the Harvard Club doesn't require sponsorship, but haven't looked into it myself; it is worth checking out.

I was looking for something similar for my wedding (which was last May)--we had 90-something people, and wanted a Boston/Cambridge location with a lot of character.   (If you or a close friend/relative are a Harvard alum, let me know, and I will tell you about my venue, which does require sponsorship, unlike the Harvard Clubs listed above.)  And, good call on the band.  The band really made the party for us, and I am STILL hearing compliments about it 8 months later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Jasmine09 Thank you so much for your advice. I am learning that all the fees are quite a blow to the total price. The flowers will not be included in the 20k for the reception, luckily I have found a separate money source for them.
    It sounds like you had an amazing band at your wedding. By any chance would you be willing to share their name?
    Once again thanks so much for the advice!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We used Night Rhythm with Rebecca and Eve.  They were fantastic.  Our dance floor was packed all night, and everyone had a blast. 
    http://www.nightrhythm.com
    We heard Monica & Bryan in a showcase too, and they are also great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

oops!  looks like Eve is no longer performing with Night Rhythm.  We had Rebecca, Meyer, and Jerome.  Rebecca has an amazing voice; I would have been totally comfortable hiring the group without Eve.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Any input/advice on negogiating with vendors? I am pretty much a TOTAL amateur and am starting to get overwhelmed easily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

I actually ended up switching my reception to January. December was WAY more expensive than I was anticipating! Reception venues are definitely counting on corporate venues. I did find that both the Four Seasons, Fairmont, and Ritz Carlton are willing to work within my budget (including cocktail reception and 5-hr open bar). I am very excited to have a wedding as such an elegant site!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My best advice about negotiating in general is to just ask.  Simply say you're very impressed with their work and would love to hire them, but that their price is more than you were hoping to spend (do not say "over your budget" unless you are willing to walk away if they don't budge - they don't care for dishonesty, either). 

The worst they can say is very far from your worst fear which (admit it!) is, "You horrible, horrible girl for asking for a better price!  I work so hard, and you have the audacity to say I charge too much.  You are the most thoughtless crazy b_tch of all time!!!  I hope you get the worst ice storm in history on your wedding day!! Yell"

The actual worst they can say is, "We do not give price breaks."

And, of course, the best thing they can say is, "I'd be glad to take 10% off," or "If you're willing to have it on another day of the week (or another week altogether, an hour earlier/later, etc.), I could do something for you.  Let's work together and see what we can do."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

the omni looks really nice it looks like a winter wedding here http://www.projectwedding.com/vendor/show/the-omni-parker-house-hotel with the plan / tree in one of the pix