Frugal Bride looks for Dream Cheap Venue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement. I did our wedding on a budget of $5000. While I don't have venue suggestions (we were married in the City), I do have a lot of ideas for DIY. My wedding was on September 19th, 2008. Please feel free to ask away!
    My review

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

it's $150 to reserve a space for up to 40 at the Milky Way Lanes and Lounge in JP. They also have great vegetarian food options. So, if you guys love bowling that might be fun. If you have more than 40 guests then you can rent the whole place, but that's a little more expensive.
    It would definately be memorable!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

I LOVE Zon's. We live in JP, too, and had champagne and strawberry shortcake there right after we got engaged.

Maybe James's Gate will close for you, also. Yum!
    How about the Loring-Greenough House?
    Eliot Hall?
    Maliotis Cultural Center at Hellenic College
    And we went to an event called the "Taste of Jamaica Plain" - it was at this random place called Cedar Hall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

This is doable. I'd suggest restuarants. Find a place that is in the $30/pp range. You might have to factor in room rental and state/meal taxes.

See if Lombardo's in Dedham will let you do it. That's about 16 minutes away.

The Common Market in quincy. About $39.00/pp includes cake cutting, takes and room rental. http://www.commonmarketrestaurants.com/menus_pdf/common_wedding_menu.pdf

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, and doesn't JP have some artists space and lofts? Maybe some of those are rentable for special events. Would be kind of urban, and a really blank slate in terms of how formal or casual you want to go.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

One friend had her reception at Zon's in JP...had the whole place to themselves for heavy apps, beer and wine. It was great! Really intimate, and with 50 people, I bet in their space you could do a full dinner.

I'm not sure how much the Transportation Museum at Larz Anderson is, but that's a beautiful space, and very close!

Another idea is Endicott Estate in Dedham...not sure how much that costs to rent, but worth looking into...I've been to two weddings there...one was super casual in a tent outside, another was more formal and smaller in the house.

Also, it might be worth looking at some of the local schools and colleges to see if they have spaces they rent out (I'm thinking Pine Manor College, Mt. Ida College, Regis College, some of the smaller schools that might be more affordable than spaces at Harvard or BC). There might be some hidden gems there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

A restaurant is the way to go. One of the previous brides did her wedding that way in Lowell and it was perfect for her (if I remember about the same budget). With the restaurant route you can pretty much do away with a DJ saving money. It is totally doable and you will have a fantastic wedding, with good food, beverages, friends and family.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

This is my first post here, but I’ve been reading this forum for quite a while and gotten a lot of great ideas and tips. I’m hoping with a direct appeal, you all can help my particular case.

We are a very frugal couple, both by inclination and also (mostly) by necessity. We’re having a very cost conscious, low budget wedding. Now I’ve seen posts that call a $15,000 wedding a low budget wedding (!). Our budget is much closer to 1/3 that! We’re looking to spend only (we’re only really able to spend) between $5000 and $7000 total. I just bought my dress on Craigslist for $80. We’re thinking of doing DYI or pot luck hors d’oeuvres and only contracting the meal (he wants a meal) in order to save some money. I’m not looking forward to the catering search as we’re going to be going all or mostly vegetarian.

Here’s my question for you all, as I’m stumped. We’re planning an August wedding with about 50 guests. We live in Jamaica Plain and while my family is from out of town, all our friends are from the Boston area. We’re having our ceremony at our church in JP and we don’t want to drive over 30 minutes to the reception site. We’ve budgeted $2500 for the reception venue. We looked at the Gore Estate and (despite the proximity of the parking lot) fell in love with the Carriage House. Then we got home and both had the realization that we we’re going to be asking our friends to attend an un-air conditioned event in party clothes with hours of dancing on what could potentially be the hottest, most humid afternoon/evening of the year.

So we’re looking for a place that won’t totally swallow a small party, air conditioned, lovely, with proximity to garden would be ideal, not in downtown Boston, with in a 30 minute drive from JP, and within our budget. Is this possible or am I asking too much?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I've thought about a restaurant. Thanks for the suggestion, octbride09, but we're definitely not the Lombardos types. Milky Way is not appropriate for us for other reasons, though, boy would that be convenient! So I guess I should start look for restaurants within a 30 minute drive. I'm hoping one can be found with some of same nice characteristics of some of the reception venues I've seen. I wouldn't want to be in a basement room with no windows, you know?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from longlive80smusic. Show longlive80smusic's posts

Well for a function space there is the East Bridgewater Commerical Club. It's $300 to rent for 5 hours and that price includes a bar tender and set up fee. They also have an outside pavilion if you wanted it outside.

You can also rent white or ivory linens through them and they have the capacity too prepare the meal. And you can bring in your own food as well (no beverages though).

I have a friend who is having her reception there in August.

HTH

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Went the restaurant route myself last August and had a Sunday luncheon with almost everything included - linens, votives, meal, serving pieces for the cupcakes, room (it was a function space on the second floor reachable by an elevator and on the first floor in the bar area we had a little patio we could use. We negotiated to get room for free.)
    Did NOT include cake or liquor or cake cutting fee or coffee/soft drinks which we actually got around by using much more delicious more flavors, and cheaper cupcakes. Total about $25pp, we had 86 people
    Know nothing about your area - but now it can be done. Good luck

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I'm looking into all suggestions. Including the ones a little farther away, like the Framingham Village Hall. Pictures look nice on their site. The advice regarding not looking at places outside our budget is well taken! I'm heart broken that we have to keep looking after the Gore Place, but there's just too many small issues for each of us that add up.

One of the hesitations we have with getting a venuw that provides food, is we really have particular ideas about what kind of food we want to have: fresh, seasonal, mostly vegetarian - not filet or chicken or the usual wedding menu that my Sweetie mostly can't eat!

Winter storms have forced cancellation of my venue viewing appointments so far (!!!) but we hope to put together a couple of forays next week. As soon as I have reviews I'll post them.

I haven't been able to see the second page of the thread until I sorted by latest first. Though, if no one can get to the second page these instructions won't help ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Try Upstairs on the Square in Cambridge.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from longlive80smusic. Show longlive80smusic's posts

[Quote]Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Some we've already looked into and some we'll check out. longlive80smusic, East Bridgewater is outside our drive time.

I believe it's a half hour from JP. 26 miles also.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Fireplace in Washington Sq? Linage in Coolidge Corner? Larz Anderson Park? Could you really casual and just have something like a pincic at the Arboretum? Does the church have a hall?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

Zon's looks like they host functions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleeble. Show bleeble's posts

The Cambridge Multicultural center is very reasonable. My cousin had a reception there for around $2800 a few years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Some we've already looked into and some we'll check out. longlive80smusic, East Bridgewater is outside our drive time. What a great price, though! I'm going to check out Zon's. Never been there. Larz Anderson Museum is, as far as I can tell, about $4500 and the Endicott Estate is $3500. Both are outside our budget, thought I'm tempted to go look at Endicott regardless...

Thanks for the idea about the smaller colleges, loveRIboy-2. They might have nice halls and grounds.

irishchick, the Loring-Greenough house does not have air conditioning, nor do they alow the windows to be opened. We'd have to have dancing outside which would require us to rent a tent and a dance floor, and the dance floor are really expensive.

We want to stay away from the tent or the picnic in the park, because music is super important to both of us and we really want dancing, hence the need for air conditioning.

Our church has a hall, but again not climate controlled.

I'm starting to think I should have been an October bride!

Upstairs on the Square may be a bit out of our reach, but the Fireplace and the Linage (never heard if this one) I will certainly check out.[/Quote]

Save yourself the trouble of looking at the Endicott Estate. My sister was initially going to have her wedding there, but decided against it. The $3500 is just to rent the space. It does not include anything else - food, dishes, servers, etc are all separate. If the $3500 makes you cringe, then don't even make the appt. It's lovely, but very expensive. Find a place that includes more bang for the buck.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, and someone else I know had their reception at the Curley House, right on Jamaica Pond. How pretty could those pics be? Walk across the street to the gazebo???

Or also in JP, the Footlight Club on Eliot Street. Depending on if there's a production going on, they might rent out that space. Would be pretty neat there...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

La Morra in Brookline Village has excellent food - maybe they would close for your party.

Lineage is in Coolidge Corner and the food there is also excellent.

And maybe the Dogwood Cafe in JP or one of those fabulous restaurants in Rosi Village would close for you. It's worth asking. I'm very curious what you end up doing!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Endicott Estate is $3500. Both are outside our budget, thought I'm tempted to go look at Endicott regardless...

I really really really really advise against going to look at something that you already know is out of the budget. There is the risk that you will fall totally in love with it and nothing else you then look at can compare. Just a word of warning!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions. Some we've already looked into and some we'll check out. longlive80smusic, East Bridgewater is outside our drive time. What a great price, though! I'm going to check out Zon's. Never been there. Larz Anderson Museum is, as far as I can tell, about $4500 and the Endicott Estate is $3500. Both are outside our budget, thought I'm tempted to go look at Endicott regardless...

Thanks for the idea about the smaller colleges, loveRIboy-2. They might have nice halls and grounds.

irishchick, the Loring-Greenough house does not have air conditioning, nor do they alow the windows to be opened. We'd have to have dancing outside which would require us to rent a tent and a dance floor, and the dance floor are really expensive.

We want to stay away from the tent or the picnic in the park, because music is super important to both of us and we really want dancing, hence the need for air conditioning.

Our church has a hall, but again not climate controlled.

I'm starting to think I should have been an October bride!

Upstairs on the Square may be a bit out of our reach, but the Fireplace and the Linage (never heard if this one) I will certainly check out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Prill is right; don't look at anything out of your budget. Being disappointed with what you can afford after you fall in love with a more expensive place would be a big drag.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

I am really curious to know how this is going and if you picked anything yet - especially since it's my neighborhood and for some reason can't read anything on page 2 of this thread!!

Sections
Shortcuts