Frugal Bride looks for Dream Cheap Venue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrideChilla. Show BrideChilla's posts

What about Florian Hall in Dorchester? They have a large and small function room. and you want a garden close by - entrance to Pope John Paul Park is on the same street.

Moseley's in Dedham is a short drive from JP, it's on the West Roxbury line. They use Diana's Catering in Norwood which has yummy vegetarian options.

If you wanted to get maried in a garden, the Arnold Arboretum would be a great location for people coming from JP!

Not sure how big this venue is, but its on the water dorchester yacht club

Good Luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CD119. Show CD119's posts

Ack, Boston.com stinks. Having trouble with this thread. :(

If you're really interested in seasonal/veggie fare, I really think you'll get a much better deal if you find a restaurant you LOVE and find out about renting out the place.

I don't know Boston restaurants terribly well (NYC here) but some place like the Blue Room in Kendall Sq. has some decent vegetarian options and space for 50 people, i think. Maybe Henrietta's Table? Lumiere in Newton? This is not my area of expertise, but if you're very into food, surely you know restaurants you like. Talk to them first. There aren't a lot of places in the area that you can rent out and bring your own caterers for less than $2500, and that's almost half your budget gone with no food, drink or entertainment (or even seats, tables, linens, etc. in many cases).

If you're really interested in renting out a place and bringing your own food, these are two options I'd book marked long ago. no idea about price and haven't seen in person:

http://www.griffinmuseum.org/private_parties.htm
    http://www.windsorclub.org/aroundtheclub.html
    http://www.aohdiv14.com/hibohall.htm

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CD119. Show CD119's posts

For $5-7k, i think you'll get the most bang for your buck looking at restaurants that come with tables, linens and some decor you don't hate already.

When you say $2500 for a venue, are you hoping that will include food and beverage? Because if you're just paying $2,500 to rent out a space, you will not meet your $5-7k budget. (At the same time, for a wedding of 50 people, I think you can actually go for a reasonably nice restaurant -- figure you'd want to spend less than $80/head including beverage, service and tax -- so maybe a meal in the $45-55/pp range. Chowhound.com has a few good threads on restaurants that fit this description (or similar, anyway) so that might be a place to start.

Another idea is the Wellesley College Club -- the outside of building itself is a little ugly, but the rooms themselves are nice and there are really lovely views and lots of places on campus for photo ops. And it's pretty reasonable.

If you are really in love with the historical house idea, Village Hall in Framingham is on the outskirts of your drive time but pretty and $1500 to rent out and quite pretty (not wheelchair accessible though.) I'd really try and stay away from places that deal in the wedding trade, though -- they'll hike up the prices for unnecessary reasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

[Quote]This is doable. I'd suggest restuarants. Find a place that is in the $30/pp range. You might have to factor in room rental and state/meal taxes.

See if Lombardo's in Dedham will let you do it. That's about 16 minutes away.

The Common Market in quincy. About $39.00/pp includes cake cutting, takes and room rental. http://www.commonmarketrestaurants.com/menus_pdf/common_wedding_menu.pdf[/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Thanks! It is exciting. I hope things keep going smoothly, too.

It's funny how, as one goes along in the thinking/planning/searching process, one's view changes. If you take what I'd like and you take what my sweetie would like and you put it all together, it turns out you have a pretty traditional wedding. Who knew. Then you spend all this time looking at stuff in real life. That certainly starts to shape the landscape! Wild.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Congratulations! So exciting to have found a place!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Well, it's not cheap, but it is our dream venue and it is affordable. I took the advice given here about having catering included and we've decided on the Henderson House in Weston. The website did not do it justice. It has everything we wanted, the dining room will not completely dwarf our small party. The house is several rooms, but they are open to each other with a great flow. The house is surrounded by trees and has a large patio where guests can go outside. It's under 30 minutes from our church. They can do part or all vegetarian. Best of all, their packages make it affordable for us. We met with the coordinator and we really liked her, very down to earth.

We almost went with the new Harry Parker Boathouse on the Charles, but the deal-breaker was the concrete floor. Quite the view, though.