Getting overwhelmed with picking a venue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

Getting overwhelmed with picking a venue

We were really close to signing a contract for a venue, and then started having second thoughts about it at the last minute.  So, we have decided we want to look at some more places.  We want (I think!) someplace in the Boston area (possibly Scituate, but prefer Boston/Cambridge/Newton/Waltham area) with a pretty setting, that ideally has some outdoor space, and that does not have to be too formal.  I think we would like to stay away from a hotel ballroom kind of thing. 

1. We are visiting the Lyman Estate and the Scituate Country Club (pretty dissimilar, I know) this weekend.  Does anyone have any information/thoughts about either one of those?

2. Any other suggestions that you think might fit what we're looking for?  I've searched online and I've asked around, but as I said, I'm a little overwhelmed!  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Getting overwhelmed with picking a venue

Have you looked at the Henderson House in Weston?  It is a little further out, but it is a *gorgeous* mansion.  I went to a wedding there last year and it was beautiful.  The couple did the ceremony on the outdoor patio, cocktails in the main lobby (with a beautiful grand staircase) and then dinner/dancing.  The food was excellent and I have heard their packages are very reasonable.  One of the brides on this board is getting married there I think!

http://www.northeastern.edu/henderson/house.html

It is owned by Northeastern University (my alma mater!).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

If you want the Boston area there's the New England Aquarium (I had my wedding there) and the Museum of Science (a regular poster here had her wedding there)
    both have scenic outdoor options and a great caterer.

someone also posted on here this past year about an interesting location in cambridge. I'll try and look it up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

found it! she had her ceremony at the Prospect Hill Monument in Somerville:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

Great suggestions.  I've absolutely thought of the Henderson House (I went to NU for grad school!), which is gorgeous, but my best friend got married there a couple of years ago, so I want something different!  Museum of Science was in the original running, and I think we're going to bring it back into the running.  FI has ruled out the Aquarium, though I'm not sure why -- I think it would be really cool!  Pinkkittie, when (or what time of year) was your wedding?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flem26. Show flem26's posts

I did not attend but my parents went to a wedding at the Stonehurst/Paine Estate in Waltham and said it was lovely.

http://www.stonehurstwaltham.org/home_s.html (sorry - I'm terrible with posting links)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

spin, how many guests?  I'm pretty sure you have to do a tent at the Lyman Estate unless the number is small.

Stonehurst in Waltham is across the street.  Also beautiful and unique.

www.stonehurstwaltham.org

Habitat in Belmont (the audubon society owns it)

http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/Sanctuaries/Habitat/facilityrental.php

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

What about Tufts?  We only had our ceremony there at Goddard Chapel, but they have several function rooms (the Chase Center is the only banquet hall name I can think of at the moment) for Weddings.  The campus is beautiful and we did all of our formal pictures there after the ceremony.  There is a terrace on the rooftop of the library and you can see the Boston skyline – made for some great pics!
    Here are some pictures of the chapel:

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Look at the Exchange Conference Center on the waterfront (not too too pricey) Unique space on the water, catered by Legals, and only host one wedding a night.

It is what I seriously want for my own wedding!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

P.S. I am an NEU alum, too! Trex, I didn't know you were! What year? I am 2004!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Peonie!  Yup, graduated in 2002!  I love NEU!  We were thinking of doing our engagement photos there in the spring (since FI and I met in college) but the campus has changed so much.  Oh well, we still might do it anyway!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Spinningwheel- My wedding was in May 2007. I chose to have it in the main exhibit hall instead of on the peir because I was afraid it might rain. Which it did. The tent they set up on the peir is lovely, though. I got a tour of it when we were first looking at the venue. It does have sides that tie down, so if you have it on the peir and it does rain, no one's going to get wet. Not sure if they have heaters if it gets chilly, though. I forget if I asked them about that.

the New Balance Marine Mammal exhibit is built onto the back of the aquarium now. it's new and very modern looking: (video)

DH's biggest concern with the aquarium was that it would smell musty. However, the wedding is held directly after they clean the building after the Aqurium closes to the public. It didn't smell musty at all, even with the big penguin tank all open. It smelled like ocean air, which was nice.
    you can see my pictures on line:

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pandamand5. Show pandamand5's posts

In Response to Re: Getting overwhelmed with picking a venue:
    found it! she had her ceremony at the Prospect Hill Monument in Somerville :
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Pinkkittie - how did the wedding go at Prospect Hill? Did they have a tent, or a weather back-up? I grew up there, and we are doing engagement photos there, but the thought crossed my mind to have a ceremony there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

oh, I don't know. I don't think she ever gave a full review. I just remembered her thread because she was asking for picture locations and I suggested Prospect Hill, then she replied that she was getting married there.