How many venues did you see before you booked?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

How many venues did you see before you booked?

Hi Guys!  We've seen about four now and we're trying to decide between two.  We really like the two contenders, just waiting on final proposals.  I looked at a bunch more online.  I kind of feel like we should keep looking (in case there is something better!).  But we're pretty happy with these two and it will just depend on the price. 

So I'm curious:  how many places did you guys look at before you booked?  And how far in advance?  We're at about 10-11 months from the dates we are looking at.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Re: How many venues did you see before you booked?

I only looked at 2 in person.  I looked at a ton of stuff online, received info and pricing in the mail and talked to several people over the phone.  We narrowed it down to 2 in our price range and those are the only ones we looked at in person.  I think we booked the venue right away, so probably 7 or 8 months before the wedding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hello there,
    I think the place we booked was the 6th place we looked at.  But if you found yours after looking at 4, there is nothing wrong with that!  I think the important thing is just to look at a few places so you have something to compare.  How could you know if someplace is nice for the money if you don't know what other places are charging? etc etc
    When we started looking, we were a year from the date we had in mind (September), but we decided to do a spring wedding (May) instead so we booked 20 months in advance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

We looked at 3 in Boston and 4 in Newport.  Ulimately we ended up booking in Newport about 11 months before our date.  I definitely would not have felt the need to look at 7 locations had we only been looking in one location so if you are happy with what you have seen so far I wouldn't be concerned that you have only seen 4 places.

I think that you have PLENTY of time if you are 10-11 months out from the dates you are looking at. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I looked on line, but what I was looking for was very limited.  Basically, there are very few places to have a wedding for under 125pp on the North Shore that wasn't going to bilk you on other costs.  I narrowed it down to 2 in the same town [Salem], looked at 1, loved it,  booked it and cancelled my appt w/ the other place.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

One.  We went to a wedding at the Wayside Inn the year before, and we both knew from then on that was the place.  The second week after we got engaged (it was the Christmastime), we booked it (11 months before the wedding).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I looked at many online, but only visited one in person. I fell in love with the NEAQ, and once DH and our families gave it the thumbs up, I visited and booked it. We booked one year and four months in advance.
    At the time we had very little time we could actually visit venues (we were both working in retail), so I knew I'd only end up visiting one or two.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

We looked at a ton online and requested information from a bunch of places. We drove by a few to decide if we wanted to make appointments. Ultimately we only toured 4 venues and booked the 3rd one. We had appointments with 2 or 3 other places that we cancelled. I think we booked it about 9.5 months in advance. We were flexible with the date so all the places we contacted had plenty of availability.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

We saw a bunch online, went in person to 5, narrowed it down to 2 to revisit and then booked about 12 months ahead of our date.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

I had a list of backup ideas, but, I think we only actually toured 2 locations, The Barker Tavern and South Shore Country Club.  We loved The Barker.  I drove by Scituate Country Club and it just didn't have the feel I wanted so I didn't schedule to see it.  When my dad agreed to the Barker, I didn't bother to keep looking.  Like some of the others, I really wanted my pictures taken either at the beach or the lighthouse, and at the time there weren't too many options. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

This was the first thing we did other than the church.  We were looking basically north shore within a 15-20 mile radius from our church.  I did look a tad in southern NH too but didn't end up there.  I looked at a ton of places online.. I narrowed down some that way quickly (couple were booked and some just didn't have something or other that I wanted) and via phone calls about prices (didn't want to get my hopes up if out of the range we wanted to spend) and then we looked at about 6 total.. quickly made my decision though and only saw them all once.  about 7 months before the date it was booked. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I looked at a bunch online and, as others have said, really limited my options that way based on our general criteria.  Our venue was the third we looked at though I had a feeling it would be the one we chose.  To appease my mom, I looked at our venue and another couple with her after that but my mind was already made up.  I chose a lot of things without looking at a ton of stuff but based on my research.  It's a bit scary but I say go with your gut.

Jan2010 bride, what's your wedding date?  Mine is 1/30/10 and I can't believe how close we're getting!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Hi Gonzo - I was in the same boat.. we saw the one we went with 3rd and still saw a few after but kept going back to it.  1/9/10 is our date.  We thought about New Years - since we met New Years back in '05, then we thought about 1/2/09 (first phone talk!) BUT the church wasn't available for either of those days and that was one place/thing fiance really wanted so he picked 1/9/10 (prior to even asking me if that date worked, although we talked about January and New Years before that so he knew I liked winter!)  The funny thing is that Ive never been to a winter wedding before and we have another one on 1/23/10 - we are making sure we come back before that from our honeymoon.  3 months away... the clock is ticking!!!  :-)  do you have most of your stuff planned?  it's went relatively smooth and easy for us, I think being off season it was much easier (vendor wise and stuff). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I only looked at one (Bournedale).  I had heard about it on these boards, sent away for the brochure and put it in a drawer for a year -- when I was finally ready, we went and saw it.

I swear that it was so perfect for us, if it didn't exist, we would not be married.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: How many venues did you see before you booked?:
    [QUOTE]I only looked at one (Bournedale).  I had heard about it on these boards, sent away for the brochure and put it in a drawer for a year -- when I was finally ready, we went and saw it. I swear that it was so perfect for us, if it didn't exist, we would not be married.
    Posted by cosmogirl[/QUOTE]

Sometimes when the price is right, and it fits, why keep looking? I mean, at the end of the day it is only 6 hours of your life you will be spending there, probably 4.