Ideas for low-cost and flexible venues?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Re: Ideas for low-cost and flexible venues?

Hi!  

My FI and I are having our wedding in another state, so I'm no help, but I wanted to give your post some love and tell you I'm certain someone will pipe up with some great suggestions.  If you're planning on early in the year, I take it you mean during the winter months or very early in the spring, which will really work to your benefit!  Lots of places will give you a break at that time of year.  Also, I LOVE the brunch idea.  Mmm.  

Good luck!  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

I don't know about 30-40mins from Cambridge but I'm using Indian Pond in Kingston, 120ppl for just about that food budget (room rental is only $800 for the smaller room).  Also there is, Cohasset Harbor Inn, Saphire Estates (not sure on price, think a little higher), tons of golf courses in Plymouth area to look at and there was a gorgeous place in Northborough (White Cliffs Manor) that was a reasonable price and good spaces to use.  That's all I can think of now.

Good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1r5ten. Show k1r5ten's posts

Thank you! Kingston may work; FI's family is closer to there than Cambridge. I was just looking at Jones River Trading in that area... rental fee is higher than I'd like but the catering looks really, really reasonable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

you can always check with your local VFW or Elks lodge.

sometimes state parks allow cookout type receptions for a small fee. My friend's uncle had an awesome reception at a state park by a lake, he had a tent for the buffet and a small dance floor, and for the drinks they had two canoes filled with ice, soda, water and beer. It was a blast! We all just had to be sure to put our trash in the bins provided so that no one had to come in and clean up after us.
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr

if you're willing to go a little further out there is Arrowhead Acres in Uxbridge. My mom had her second weddingt here and she was able to bring in her own caterer and alcohol. It was a very pretty venue, and they have a few different outdoor and indoor options.

http://www.arrowheadacres.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jag27. Show jag27's posts

A friend of mine is getting married this October and is having her wedding at the Robert Paine Estate in Waltham and they choose this place because they could bring in their own alcohol, but I believe they are using one of their preferred caterers.  I am not sure of the rental fees, but my friends is having a Saturday night wedding for about 110 people that they are paying for themselves, so it could be less if you do have a brunch or lunch reception.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

if you don't mind going as far as Plymouth, check out Bournedale.  (Traffic isn't an issue in October.)  I'm sure they would be flexible with the pricing.  You can't bring in your own beer/wine but can work with them about what to serve.

www.capefunctions.com

It's on a beautiful pond, the function building has two outdoor decks, and the people are as nice as can be. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

My friend is having her reception at Jones River Trading soon.  From the tidbits I have heard, the pricing seems very reasonable.  My prices per person were more and I thought I had gotten a decent deal!  I think she said something about $35 per person plus the rental fee, but I don't know what that includes so maybe I should be quiet. 
    Good luck!  I'll post more ideas if I think of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I didn't post before because our costs were a little bit higher than what you had mentioned, but not by too much, so i'll throw it in.
    We were married at the Shaw's Center at Campanelli Stadium in Brockton.  It was gorgeous.  We had a full meal with champgne & apps on a Sunday for $50pp (no rental fees, but alcohol was additional).  We offered Prime rib though, so there were less pricey options and they may do a brunch as well.  Call Donna and ask, their web site is crappy and doesn't do it justice!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

I had my wedding at the Jones River Trading and it was the BEST!!! The food was affordable and delicious and the catering fee includes EVERYTHING including a day-of coordinator. The caterer is separate from the rental fee. All in all, totally worth it.  Let me know if you want more details and I'll send you my email address. Good luck!

ETA: I meant price of food, not catering fee. There is no extra fee.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from k1r5ten. Show k1r5ten's posts

Trigirl, so happy to see a good review for Jones River Trading! We are going to check it out this weekend. I will certainly be in touch if we're looking for the inside scoop.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from meg2011. Show meg2011's posts

Have you looked at Blissful Meadows Golf Course in Uxbridge, Ma?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jillian0212. Show Jillian0212's posts

I'm having my reception at the Hilltop in Saugus (next november), and its actually pretty affordable. They have packages or you can do just food. When people first reccomended this to me i thought they were crazy, but the rooms are really pretty and the foods pretty good too (they gave us a complimentary dinner when we went to check it out!) they have info on the website http://www.hilltopsteakhouse.com...check it out!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldevents. Show goldevents's posts

We planned an event at Shaw's Center which was very nice.  Social clubs, libraries, museums, and Inns are places to look into. Budget your way backwards...start with minimum food or catering/person then balance what is left on venue, entertainment, and decor.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kauriel. Show kauriel's posts

You have probably already found something but I got married at Knights of Columbus and was allowed to bring in my own caterer or had option to bring in homeade food. 

We used Mr. Jacks catering and managed to keep food and hall rental under $5,000.  It did not include alcohol, but most organizations like K of C don't charge much for drinks.

I would also recommend looking at Elks Clubs, VFW, etc. in your area.  The Chelmsford Elks is supposed to be beautiful!