Just engaged, looking for venue ideas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from etownsen. Show etownsen's posts

Just engaged, looking for venue ideas

My fiance and I just got engaged and we're looking to do a Boston area wedding in 2012 for 100 people for about 20-30K$ (budget is a little up in the air as parents have said they will "help" but have yet to define "help").  We have been doing alot of searching online and we've found alot of stuff that looks nice, but its really hard to get an idea of how much a reception will cost from venue websites.  I know my fiance is looking to do something on the water- and he was really enthusiastic about the Crane estate- while I'm open to beachfront, city, mansion... really anything that doesn't find me in some generic country club ballroom on my big day.  Any advice is appreciated!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

Re: Just engaged, looking for venue ideas

Check out Misslewood at Endicott College. It's a tented venue but it's beautiful! If you want closer to the city the Harborside Hyatt has a great room with floor to ceiling windows that will hold 100. The price there last year in the off season once everything was said and done was $26,000 for 115. There's also some hotels in Boston right on the water but they will be pricey, the Longwharf Marriot, the Seaport, the Boston Harbor Hotel. The thing I'd caution about Crane Estate is that last I heard they didn't have generators which can turn into a big problem if the power happens to go out during your wedding! That may have changed by now though. Cruiseport in Gloucester is supposed to be nice and there's a new venue on Salisbury Beach that is pretty, I can't think of the name though. I know there's some great places on the cape as well and the south shore but I'm not really familiar with them. Good Luck! :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Definitely get your budget nailed down before you start looking at venues.  Unless you both have recently-wed siblings, your parents have NO idea what weddings can cost these days.

You NEVER want to look at a venue that you can't afford.

And as you start the planning process, pleae remember, that even if your parents ARE contributing, treat their money as if it was your own.  If you wouldn't spend your own hard-earned money on ice sculptures............

Best wishes and have fun planning! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

yes, I agree, the first thing to do is figure out a realistic budget.  I made one in Excel early on so I had some idea of how much the whole thing was going to cost.  I based it off the one that you can make on theknot.com, but basically what I did was make categories for each item we'd be spending money on and then putting in a rough estimate of how much I thought it would cost or what was reasonable to spend.  So, for example:

Ceremony:  venue fee, officiant fee, ceremony musician fee, decorations, etc.

Apparel:  my dress, shoes, veil, jewelry, his tux, etc.

Reception: venue rental, catering (estimate $XX times estimated # of guests), alcohol, appetizers, cake.  Include estimates for tip and admin fees.

Flowers:  my bouquet, BM bouquets, bouts, centerpieces, etc, etc.

Other:  DJ, photographer, videographer, invitations, rings, honeymoon, day of coordinator, gifts

Seriously, put it all in a spreadsheet, rough estimate and add it up.  You'll be surprised how quickly it adds up.  If you know your final budget, this can help you narrow down how much you have for the reception which can help you figure out what venues you can afford.  It helps to narrow it down to a per person pricing for the venue because that's often how the packages work.  So if you know you can afford $100 pp, then you can immediately decide if you can afford a venue or not. 

Once you know that, we can probably help suggest some places!

OH yeah, and a lot of venues don't put their prices on their websites.  You can call or email and have them send you their information packages (by email) or ask what the pp price is (they will probably give you a range).  Getting the packages is really nice since that way you can directly compare what each venue includes, which can be very different.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lwconcord. Show lwconcord's posts

You should look at the Pierce House in Lincoln.  It absolutely gorgeous inside and out, historic and affordable.  There is a lot to see in the Lincoln/Concord/Lexington area and nearby hotels on 128.  Good luck to you!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Cosmo's right.  Get your budget in order and define "parental help" first.  You may want to also get an idea as to location too.  North, South or West of Boston?  In the City?  Just outside?  A little further out?  do you want your ceremony at the venue site?  or will the ceremony be elsewhere first?  If the ceremony is elsewhere, how far do you want your guests to drive from the ceremony location to the reception venue? 

also consider the time of year you want to get married.  some "seasons" are more expensive than others.   

physically look at venues you're interested in.  what looks nice on a website may look vastly different in person, and sometimes you just don't know if there may be pending construction/renovation, etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Along with setting the budget, I think you need to set a preliminary guest list. Before we started writing names down, I thought we'd have 150 people. Yeah, we ended up with 240 on the first pass! (Who knew DH's family was so big!) It really changed the type of places we were able to look because we had such high numbers. I know you said 100 people, but I would just caution you to nail down exactly who is invited so you make sure you get a room that accommodates all of your important people.

I'm also going to echo what the other ladies said about nailing down your budget. My parents said, "You have $x to spend however you want." My in-laws were like, "We'll help, we'll help, we'll help" but they never said exactly how much and of course DH wasn't comfortable asking. At first they said they'd pay for our photographer but we went with someone more expensive than they were planning and they got upset. They ended up paying for our flowers, the invitations the deposit on the reception and our rehearsal dinner, which of course was fine with us. I wanted them to say "we'll give you $x" but they were more comfortable paying for actual things. To each their own, right? I think you could save yourselves some headaches if you had a mature conversation to clear up everyone's expectations. In the end, we were able to cover everything that we wanted by making sacrifices in other places, but we all know someone who's wedding finances got out of control. Don't put that much stress on yourself! Wedding planning is stressful enough!

Congratulations BTW!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Oh, Friar, this just happened to one of my girlfriends in reverse.  She and her husband offered to pay for the florist and photographer.  Who knew that Bridezilla needed to hire Winston Flowers and presented her with a $10,000 bill! 

In retrospect, my friend wishes she had said "I am happy to put $8,000 toward your wedding expenses, please spend it however you wish."

(What made it even more obnoxious was that the bride chose to spend $10K on flowers and had a cash bar!!!!!  LOL....some people!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cos, that's how my in-laws did it, and it was great.  No pressure.  They gave us a certain amount toward the wedding and said we had total control over how it was spent.  VERY nice.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

the parents of friends of mine turned to them and said they were only willing to put 2 bottles of wine on each table, and that was it.  the individual girl had to finance the rest of her wedding.  

it was understandable...it's a family of 8 girls...they didnt want each daughter saying "well you did for so-and-so but you wouldn't do for me"... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

times have changed; I wouldn't expect any parents to contribute anymore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

my parents told all of us they couldn't afford to contribute...i didn't expect it either, since the've been living on a fixed income for quite some time now...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

yeah, I guess I was saying that it should be "understandable" no matter what these days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Just engaged, looking for venue ideas:
    [QUOTE... and there's a new venue on Salisbury Beach that is pretty, I can't think of the name though. I know there's some great places on the cape as well and the south shore but I'm not really familiar with them. Good Luck! :-)
    Posted by venforknot[/QUOTE]

I think the place you're thinking of is the Sea Glass.  Haven't been there for a wedding, but I was there for dinner two weeks ago and it is beautiful with very good food.  The place is right on the beach with huge windows over the surf -- plus they have spotlights on the water for after dark, so you still get a beautiful view regardless of time of day.  There is a concert venue there, so you might want to talk to them about that -- I'm guessing parking/noise etc might be an issue if there is a concert at the same time as your reception. 
    http://www.seaglassoceanside.com

Another place on the water is the Emerson Inn in Rockport.  Very pretty and there is outdoor space there as well.  Food is quite good too.  This is an inn, so if you have out of town guests, it might be ideal, as they could stay right there.
    http://www.emersoninnbythesea.com/weddings.htm

I don't know the catering prices at either of these places, but they're worth checking out if a northshore location would work for you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from conditionoakland. Show conditionoakland's posts

we got married at hammond castle in gloucester, it is a lovely space overlooking the ocean. to cut costs we made mix cds, something for everyone. we put disposable cameras at each table so we'd get our guests perspectives. we did the alcohol on consignment and could have returned whatever we didn't need. the catering turned out to be the most expensive part, though we ultimately saved on flowers as our (fantastic) caterer (jack milan,  different tastes) was really big on incorporating them into the food presentation. good luck.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from venforknot. Show venforknot's posts

In Response to Re: Just engaged, looking for venue ideas:
    [QUOTE] I think the place you're thinking of is the Sea Glass.  Haven't been there for a wedding, but I was there for dinner two weeks ago and it is beautiful with very good food.  The place is right on the beach with huge windows over the surf -- plus they have spotlights on the water for after dark, so you still get a beautiful view regardless of time of day.  There is a concert venue there, so you might want to talk to them about that -- I'm guessing parking/noise etc might be an issue if there is a concert at the same time as your reception.  http://www . seaglass oceanside.com

That's the one!! It looked really pretty when I went to check it out but it was a little too small for us, they could only fit about 100 people if I remember. There was a wedding going on the day I was there and it looked just wonderful. :-)If I ever do a re-commitment I'll do it there. LOL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWR1. Show DWR1's posts

Check out the Roof Top Ballroom at the Omni Parker House Hotel
    Voted Best Weddings for 08 09 10 by The Knot