Lag time between church and reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Julie6278. Show Julie6278's posts

Hi all

I finally set my date however, the reception only allows 5 hours for an event no more (I told her I would pay extra and she said no). Now my ceremony at the church starts at 2:00 (I can't do any later, I asked) - and we wanted to do a half mass so 2-2:30 - Mass, 2:30-3:00, receding line and then I was going to start the reception at 5:30 or 6:00, because I would not want my wedding to end at 8 or 9, 10-11 is much better. What do I do with my guests for the 2-3 hour time in between! Has anyone else had this problem?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

hi there...first off...its receiving line. ;-) Sorry...I got a good giggle though.

how much of a distance is between your ceremony and reception? It is not that uncommon to have a couple of hours between events, and some guests may even appreciate the extra time.

I wouldn't sweat it, most people will be able to find something to pass the time, you wont have to rush your receiving line or your photos. Maybe you could do a HUGE group photo outside the church with everyone who was at the ceremony - that would certainly take up some time just getting everyone together.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

I would do whatever you can to avoid a large gap between the ceremony and reception. If that means starting your reception earlier and ending it earlier, so be it. I think scheduling a gap just because you want the reception to end later is selfish and very inconsiderate. If you end the party at 9:00, you can always go out afterwards.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ABORT!

Do not have a gap like that, please. UGH. Not only is the gap itself a problem, we're all adults with exhausting lives. And, as much as your wedding reception will be a great time (presumably), people start thinking about leaving at 9 anyway. We're not in college anymore. We have kids at home with babysitters and have just lived through another exhausting week at work.

ETA: I wonder what the average age is of the new brides on these boards. I'm guessing you're 23, just out of school and thinking a party isn't a party unless it goes late.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I guess I'm the minority (happens a lot to me on here, I've noticed).

I do agree that having it end early is no big deal and allows for a great after-party. But...I've been to weddings where there was a gap and it didnt phase me. One of those was my own brother's wedding and I think there were like 3-4 hours in between.

good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry, my "ETA" was uncalled for. I'm not deleting it, though, only because I hope it does point out that maturity is a major and necessary component in a successful marriage. The lack of thought about how most adults would rather have a wonderful excuse to leave earlier rather than later (like "it's over") is scary.

And, if it officially ends earlier, you can have an after party for those night owls without kids and exhausting lives or major travel or whatever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from octbride09. Show octbride09's posts

I would rather cut out the 2-3 gap and end my reception at 9 or 10. Go back to the hotel, change clothes and mingle with out of ttown guests. I've always had a blast after the wedding hanging out in hotel rooms after the wedding. Luckily my hotel has a kick a$$ bar so I can't wait to go change and hang out with family and friends in the hotel bar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

I had my ceremony at 2:30 and was done about 3....I had my cocktail hour @4, we added an extra hour to our reception, but it would have been more than ok if we ended it at 9 rather than 10. I say avoid the lag time at all costs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I agree, avoid the gap and have the reception end earlier. Anyone who wants to go out afterwards to a bar or something can. That's what happened after my reception, our wedding party and several friends and family members went to a bar nearby. Boy were they surprised to see us walking in all dressed to the nines :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

My ceremony starts at 3pm and I think it goes for about 45 minutes. My reception site is about a 30 minute drive away, and the cocktail hour will begin at 5pm. I think our reception is set to go until 10pm. I think that's a perfect time to end it. That way, it's "early" enough for the younger folks to still go out and have a good time, and not too late for the older people to still be at the reception. I'm happy about it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kel96. Show kel96's posts

I personally don't like a big gap between the ceremony and reception. However, I also agree with liking the idea of the reception going on later into the night. (By the way, I am 30, not 23). If you end it on the earlier side, plan an after-party! The celebration can keep on going! Many guests will have left anyway so gather's who's still there and go to someone's hotel room or someone's house that is near by.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Skip the gap and go right to the reception. If people have to hang out for 2 hours doing nothing they sometimes end up in bars getting drunk before they even get to your cocktail hour.
    I'd rather go right to the reception. That way the older folks and people with sitters can go home at a reasonable hour and the partiers can all make plans to go to an after party somewhere.
    The one thing I regret about our wedding (which was on a Friday night) was that it ended late and DH and I were too tired to enjoy the lovely bridal suite provided by our hotel venue. We collapsed into bed and fell asleep instantly. Didn't even open the free champagne or eat the chocolate covered strawberries.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]Kar - I kind of felt old writing my post and I'm only 27! I can't even tell you the last time I was at a bar for last call. Thanks for making me feel like slightly less of a loser! :-)[/Quote]

Hey, Friar, I'm 37 and have never closed a bar! Feel even better? ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't agree with the poster who said I think scheduling a gap just because you want the reception to end later is selfish and very inconsiderate.

Selfish and inconsiderate? That's a bit harsh! What if this is the venue of her dreams and what she has always wanted? Is it fair to be so harsh on her? I don't think so.

This is a perfect example of how the venue you want to have your wedding at will NOT allow for a reception to last for more than 5 hours. I wouldn't want my reception to end at 8pm, either!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I also think the "gap" is a very bad idea. I was at a wedding with a 2 hour gap and it left people at the wedding saying, okay what do we do now?! Go hang out in the hotel room with our nice clothes on? Especially if you don't know the area. I am sure the only people that really benefit from the gap is the bridal party that is running around all day. I am young, and I'd rather leave the wedding earlier than later, I don't need to party till 11 or 12. I actually like the idea of the wedding ending early so that people will go out afterwards.

One wedding I was at there was a 3 hr gap and there happened to be a brewery close by and we went on a tour all dressed up, had a few drinks and then were almost late to the reception! haha

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

To each their own.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]ABORT!

Do not have a gap like that, please. UGH. Not only is the gap itself a problem, we're all adults with exhausting lives. And, as much as your wedding reception will be a great time (presumably), people start thinking about leaving at 9 anyway. We're not in college anymore. We have kids at home with babysitters and have just lived through another exhausting week at work.

ETA: I wonder what the average age is of the new brides on these boards. I'm guessing you're 23, just out of school and thinking a party isn't a party unless it goes late.[/Quote]

Agreed, do not have a gap if you can avoid it.

Disagree with the rest of kar's posting. Blanket statements show complete ignorance. Assuming only young people enjoy late parties is ridiculous. Assuming young people do not have responsibilities and are not exhausted is ridiculous. People of all ages enjoy different things. Some young people like late parties, some like early ones. Some older people like late parties, some like early ones. Assuming the bride is 23 and because she may be that age that she is inconsiderate and immature is such a stupid statement. I also can say that I have never seen a wedding where people were leaving at 9pm, unless that was the time it actually ended! Most people enjoy their dinner, drinks, and dancing for several hours until it ends. Only small children or elderly guests are the norm for leaving an event halfway through.

To assume that people of all ages do not have exhausting workweeks is ignorant. Everyone works hard, regardless of their age. I am almost 30, and I own my own home and work very hard. I am exhausted too. But that does not mean I would leave someones reception halfway through! Young people have their own responsiblities too, just because they may or may not be the same as yours, does not make yours anymore "tiring" than anyone else's. If going to someone's wedding is such an inconveinence for you because you are soooo much more exhausted than the rest of the working world with bills to pay, do the couple a favor and send your regrets and save them money on the plate of food they would have served you.

Most people that have kids, make arrangements for their kids. Usually you know about the wedding in advance. Alot of people with kids take the night as a night off from the kids to be with each other. Alot of parents with kids stay the night at a hotel. To assume that all parents think about leaving at 9 and never go out is stupid.

To the OP, avoid the gap if you can. A gap is usually more of an annoyance to a guest than a reception ending earlier. The only reason thsi can be tricky is because there may not be anything to do during the gap. However, if you want the reception to end later, then by all means do so. Your guests are adults and will figure something out, and if they are annoyed, they will be over it once the reception starts. And, I am willing to bet that people do not start walking out the door at 9pm if you choose to do the reception later! :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Expecting people to deal with your wedding from 2pm - 11pm is selfish. No matter what they do in a long gap, the whole day is spent on the wedding. If someone asks you how long it took to fly to Miami, you don't omit the 3 hours you spent languishing around JKF.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I agree I dont like lag time. However, often times if you choose a church ceremony, you dont have much of a choice. I think the OP should avoid the lag time if she can. However, assuming anyone who has a late reception is young, immature, and is never tired is a stupid thing to say.

When you receive the invitation for your loved one, if you are that disguested by the fact of spending 9 hours to celebrate their wedding day, you can always decline. You aren't forced into going.

And yes, I do omit the time from my layover. If someone says, how long did it take to fly to florida, I would say 3 hours. If I booked a flight with a layover, thats my own problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ladies, I've thought about this and everyone is right about my posts this morning! Disregard and please forgive me. Well, I do hope there's no gap, still, but disregard everything else. I feel like cr*p today and took it out on the boards, sorry!

See you ladies tomorrow...I'm signing off before I cause any more pain!

~kargiver

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I agree. Skip the gap. If people are from OOT, they may not mind b/c they can go back to their hotel and relax, but what about local guests who may not want to drive 30-45 mintues to go back home for 20 minutes and then drive another 30-45 minutes to get to the reception. I don't understand why the time of your reception is so important. So what if it ends early? People can still have a great time even if the sun is still up during your reception. I had a daytime reception and everyone had a good time. People went out to party afterwards [so I heard] and had a blast. Ending early meant that DH and I were still conscious enough to consummate the marriage that day. :-) Many ladies on here will tell you that they are too tired to get busy on their wedding night b/c it ended so late. To me, that is just sad. Skip the gap and then "celebrate" on your own w/ your DH later on that night. ;-) HTH!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Goodness, I stand by my comments. Starting a reception late, just so you can end it late, is selfish. If there were other legitimate reasons, such as the venue of her dreams won't let her start any earlier, then I could sort of understand, but that's not the case here. She can only have a 5 hour reception and she doesn't want it to end at 9:00.

I've actually never been to a wedding with gap, even Catholic weddings. Usually the reception immediately follows the ceremony.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't think anyone is expecting anyone to "deal" with anything. I just agree with the poster with her not wanting her reception to end at 8pm. Sounds reasonable to me. I wouldn't want mine to end that early, either.

People are too easy to throw the "selfish" card out there whenever it comes to a bride/groom wanting certain or specific things for their ceremony or reception.

I don't agree. I think some people can be too harsh on these boards.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I agree with the others - avoid the gap. Not only it is too long of a "wedding" for your guests, what about guest paying for a baby sitter? They would probably have to pay for 10 hrs or so. I don't know what that would cost these days, but I'm sure a lot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I've heard people complaining about cocktail hour being too long before dinner starts. I mean, come on! I know that people KNOW that this it the time the bridal party, bride and groom take to get their photos taken.

People will find anything to complain and get aggravated about. So, no one wins in the end.