Langham Hotel or Le Meridian Cambridge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

Langham Hotel or Le Meridian Cambridge

Has anyone been to a wedding or had a wedding at the Langham Hotel in Boston (on Franklin St.) or Le Meridian in Cambridge? If so, what are your experiences?

To give some background information. I am newly engaged, and looking at venues to hold a ceremony and reception for 200 ppl. I am from the Boston area and ideally would like to have a wedding in or around. We are paying for the wedding ourselves and can't afford anything like the BHH or the State Room even though I would love to. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

Re: Langham Hotel or Le Meridian Cambridge

I am getting married at the The Langham this October.  While I cannot comment on the actual wedding (obviously!) Gina, the wedding coordinator has been phenomenal to work with thus far.  We have also had very good experience working with their room block personnel.  Actually, everytime we have been in the hotel for planning purposes, the entire staff has treated us like royalty - even when we stop by unannounced!   They are very detail oriented and respond to emails within minutes.   

My fiance and I toured pretty much all of the Boston hotels and were most impressed with the professionalism shown by the Langham staff.  The hotel is also beautiful.  It was important to us that we be the only wedding going on at the hotel at the time, which the Langham guaranteed.  Overall, I have only great things to say.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck and congratulations! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

Thank you Colby2000! I have only been to the lobby area of the Langham and thought it was beautiful. I requested additional information the other night and am still waiting to hear back so I can schedule a walk through. Based on what the Langham posted on their website for their wedding package, it would fit our budget. I still have to meet with them of course to clarify some things.

You mentioned that you looked at all the Boston hotels, what were you narrowing your choices between before choosing the Langham?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

It wasn't really a hard decision for us.  Both my fiance and I just had this gut feeling that the Langham was the right choice for us - sort of how we both felt when we both visited the college we attended for the first time.  Sometimes you just know!  If you haven't heard back from them, I'd suggest calling or emailing Gina directly.  Sometimes those online things don't always go through! 

I had always dreamed of having my wedding at the BHH as it is on the water, etc.  We went and visited there immediately before the Langham (although I had been to a work function at The Langham before) but didn't really get a good impression.  It is a beautiful hotel and gets rave reviews, but the person we met with couldn't answer our questions and really gave us the sense that we'd be "second best."  We were looking at the smaller room as the larger room was fully booked for the fall.  We just didn't want to compete with another function going on at the same time.  The room would have been a bit small for the size of wedding we wanted and we wanted the flexibility to have a slightly larger guest list.  Beautiful hotel, just not right for us.

I also like the Sheraton in Back Bay but it is huge and really doesn't have the character of The Langham.  We just loved the uniqueness of the space at The Langham and the fact that we'd have the rights to use all of the rooms.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

I too dreamed of the BHH or State Room wedding, but it is completely out of our price range. I have a feeling that I am going to check out a lot of places before we fully commit to a venue- I like to do a lot of research before I spend a lot of money on something. Plus there are so many great places in and around Boston.

A couple more questions regarding the Langham if you don't mind. Is the wedding package they posted accurate? I was very surprised at how reasonable it was, granted I know the admin, tax, etc fees were not included. Also, where are you having the reception? The ballroom or esplanade? Does the Ballroom have any sort of view? Are you having your ceremony there as well?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Colby2000. Show Colby2000's posts

The package that is on the website is the exact package that is offered, so there really are no surprises.  I will say though, there is a minimum food & beverage amount so you need to take that into consideration. (ie if you are hoping to have a smaller guest list and just have the dinner and no open bar, etc - you likely won't meet the minimum.)  We priced it out and it would have been a similar price at BHH - Atlantic Room @ BHH had the same minimum as the Langham.  The Wharf Room though was much higher.  I think the Langham's minimums also are based on the season.  We are getting married at a fairly popular time so I'm sure our minimum may be higher than someone getting married off-peak season.  I think that is fairly standard in the industry.

We are doing the entire thing at the Langham.  Our ceremony will be in the Ballroom (no windows there.)  The cocktail hour will be in the Wyeth Room which is amazing and the dinner and dancing will be in Cafe Fleuri (esplanade.)  We will do dinner in the upper portion and then have our band and dance floor in the lower section.  The layout isn't for everyone, but we really thought it was unique but still classic at the same time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

I'm also getting married at the Langham in June 2010.  We are (probably) having our ceremony in the Wyeth room, cocktail hour in esplanade and reception in the ballroom.  One of the nice things about the hotel is that you get a ton of space and flexibility.

I looked pretty much everywhere in Boston and the surrounding area so if you have specific questions i might be able to answer.  I think Gina is fantastic and has by far provided the best customer service of any hotel we visited.  I'm like you in that I wanted to do a LOT of research before committing but the Langham just had a unique feel to it that we couldn't find anywhere else.  I also liked BHH but couldn't get over their room block being $350 per room.  In terms of downdown Boston we were deciding between BHH, Colonade, Lenox, Park Plaza & the Langham.  The Langham's pricing is accurate and also very negotiable even though the food & beverage minimum is not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

I talked to Gina yesterday, and I am still trying to figure out a date to actually go look at the space. She is away this weekend, and next weekend is mother's weekend so they are pretty busy.

May I ask how much the room block at the Langham was? I know it varies on the time of year, but am curious as to what they offer since we will have a good amount of out of town guests.

I figured their minimums were not negotiable. I forgot to ask Gina if they offered an open cocktail hour like many other venues do. Do they? Also, I don't know if I am out of line if I asked what were you ladies able to negotiate with? I am new to this and don't know what is negotiable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

I haven't been to a wedding at Le Meridian, but I've been to a few meetings and functions there.  I'm sure you can put together a beautiful wedding there, but the space isn't particularly interesting.  And the location isn't that great, yes it's in Cambridge, but it's outside of Central Square...

My thoughts are if you are going to have it at Le Meridian you might as well have it at a less expensive hotel outside of Boston.  Nothing in my mind makes it stand out from any other hotel.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonGirl82. Show BostonGirl82's posts

I am going to see Le Meridian tomorrow. I saw keeping my fingers crossed because their packages are reasonable, and they have a roof top garden that I was interested in seeing for ceremony purposes.

I have no idea what part of Cambridge it was in and am now a little bummed. We will see how it turns out though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMegs5. Show WMegs5's posts

There are plenty of options in Boston if you didn't like the Langham or Le Meridien.  Our room block was $215, but it could vary widely depending on the weekend.  I'm not sure what you mean by open cocktail hour, but we're having an open bar except for an hour during dinner when wine is served.  I think what you negotiate for depends on your priorties - it can't hurt to ask!