looking up previous posts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maggierep. Show maggierep's posts

looking up previous posts

Hi everyone,  I was wondering if anyone could explain how to look up  info from old posts.  I've been  away for awhile  and can't figure it out.  TIA

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: looking up previous posts

Hey, maggie, welcome back!

You go to Lifestyle, Forums.  Then, you'll see "Search Forums" on the top.  Not sure how well it works, though.  Good luck.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

What Kar said but the search isn't all that great.  I know that google has a ton of stuff in cache I wonder if doing a google search would work better.  If the way Kar described doesn't work you might want to give google a shot, you never know.

Good luck.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

to google, try entering the following text in google:

search terms site:boston.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I had trouble until I realized that a whole lot of old posts in the Lifestyle archives section, from before BDC changed vendors, is available only if you click into the Lifestyle archives (bottom of Lifestyle)  and do the search from the window there.  That gets you into 188,000 more posts.

It is possible that doing it from elsewhere and putting in Lifestyle archives first would do it, but I do not know.

People who have posted a long while  know that once Etiquette was the catch-all section for all kinds of things,  like details on venues, dresses, finances , caterers,  when all were reported in a single post-wedding review thread.  So you also have success putting in the word  REVIEW then 1 other keyword from the etiquette section.  
          Right after the change,   the catch-all section became dresses for several months.   But who would think to look  in dresses when you want a review of a caterer?  At least going straight to the archives gets a lot of stuff.

Then separately go to etiquette, use that box,  then dresses.  Even if you are looking for a Band  or  a pastry chef!   Then go to Details for recent months of   for reviews  containing all subjects.

This is why long term posters cry in frustration every time threads get re-categorized.  I have been helping a cousin now in Europe plan a wedding here.  I know the info is there.  I remember a particular poster had a wonderful  combination of  appetizers, and someone else did a whole thing with up-lighting  and colored hanging lanterns outdoors for tent weddings and nights on patios or decks. 
         But who sold the strings of lights which the cheap paper lanterns fit over, for 30 feet  of overhead lights outdoors? What is the rental fee for the courtyard of the Boston Public Library?  Who sells petticoats that have adjustable drawstring elastic waists for pregnant bridesmaids?
    />>> Well look in details, then dresses, then etiquette, then the lifestyles  archives  sections, running a separate search in each.     First search for what you want.  Again do it with the word Review first.   8 separate searches.   Royal PITA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I have had the same problem.  The current Boston.com "search forums" is kind of useless.  Did the old Boston.com have a way to do this?  You can do it the google way jasmine suggested but I find I get a ton of stuff to wade through.  Anyone have any tips to make this easier?