Need help finding a venue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KtMack21. Show KtMack21's posts

Need help finding a venue

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading and searching through the posts for awhile now but have never posted.  We want to have our wedding on Sept. 10th, 2011 in Arlington (ceremony), and have about 125-140 guests.  I definitely need to keep the reception costs below $100 per person.  We have looked at the Natick Crowne Plaza, the Sheraton Framingham, and Nashawtuc Country Club.  We LOVE Nashawtuc but are concerned because there do not seem to be any hotels nearby for out of town guests.  We like the idea of the Sheraton, as well as the location and prices but the room seemed too closed in and un-fancy.  Has anyone had their wedding at either the Sheraton or Nashawtuc?  I am requesting info from the Waltham Westin and Bedford Glen Doubletree, but does anyone have any other ideas? 

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KtMack21. Show KtMack21's posts

Re: Need help finding a venue

Hi - I forgot to mention that although I am from Arlington, my fiance and most of his guests are from the Worcester area, so we are trying to keep the reception within 25 mins of Arlington, but we would prefer to go in the direction of Worcester/central MA, as opposed to going closer to the North or South Shore.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

• Westin Waltham
    • Newton Marriott
    • Sheraton in Norwood (Four Points)

Those hotels are beautiful and within your price range!!

Good luck :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

royal plaza marlbrorough
    massachusetts horticultural society, wellesley
    and there's the warren conference center in Ashland.

These are all pushing 25mins from Arlington, but they're all about halfway to Worcester.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

The Mass Horticultural Society cost $8,000 just to rent the space...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

whoa, then the person I work with who got married there wasn't being entirely truthful when she said she had a limited budget. limited to what, I wonder?

In Response to Re: Need help finding a venue:
    [QUOTE]The Mass Horticultural Society cost $8,000 just to rent the space...
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I'm sorry I was wrong, it is $5,800 if you want it for 9 hours..., but looks like there are extra added costs!

http://www.masshort.org/Facility-Rental-Fees

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

too bad they don't do half-days on weekends. oh well. their grounds are enormous though, so I guess that price tag isn't too surprising, but still pretty steep.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I honestly have no idea about the cost or capacity, but I live in that area (Metrowest) and the Sherborn Inn is so pretty!  Worth a look even if only online.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Some Don'ts
    1. No weddings in the emergency room of a hospital.It's always open to people who want to complain.
    2.No weddings in the local or state jails or prisons. Bars tend to frighten away guests.It's nice to have guards to keep out the uninvited but you can't trust anyone with a taser.
    3.No weddings in butcher shops or meat markets.The smell wipes out the good feelings.
    4.No weddings at Amway Conventions.
    Best Sites
    1. The first place you met or the parking lot where you met.
    2.Your parents home and garden.
    3.The local high school football stadium or basketball court.
    4.The garden of a good friend with a lot of backyard.
    5.In a local airport hangar.
    These are all interesting alternatives to cavernous halls in hotels.
    Best Deals for Guests
    1.Clothing or Beachwear optional.
    2.Bring your own cooler.
    3.Tents for the guests unable to get home.
    4.Gifts for each other instead of the bride and groom who evidently decided to hold the wedding in the middle of winter on a weekday according to the advice above.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Ah, THC.  I've missed you.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

Hi - You could try here...I think it's lovely, on a pond, it's reasonably priced. 
    http://www.kalevalittleton.org/

And in Westford:
    http://www.westford.com/pca/renting.htm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We got married at the Wayside Inn and the chapel on their grounds, the Martha-Mary Chapel.  It's 25 minutes from Arlington and 40 minutes from Worcester, and it's a non-profit so they can't gouge you.  We wish we could do it all again!  And, we just celebrated our first anniversary by going back for dinner!  It was superb.

www.wayside.org

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

How about Habitat in Belmont? Kargiver I have eaten at the Wayside Inn and the food is delicious! I had no idea they hosted weddings there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]How about Habitat in Belmont? Kargiver I have eaten at the Wayside Inn and the food is delicious! I had no idea they hosted weddings there.
    Posted by Elmgirl82[/QUOTE]

Oh, you must have come in the short way on Wayside Rd.  Next time you go, continue up the Wayside Road past where you had dinner (the inn itself).  On the right, up the hill (a short walk from the inn) is the little white chapel, and a little further (drive) on the left is the still-working grist mill that they still use to grind the flour they use in the restaurant. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KtMack21. Show KtMack21's posts

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions.  I have already emailed a few of them!  Out of curiousity, has anyone had their wedding or been to a wedding at the Waltham Westin?  I have emailed them and even called and still gotten nowhere - no responses, no information. 

Also, does anyone know anything about the Doubletree in Cambridge?  It is super close to my church and reasonably priced, and looks like it has some great views.  I am going to look at it tomorrow, but when I search for wedding info on here or even just Google, I can't find any reviews or anything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions.  I have already emailed a few of them!  Out of curiousity, has anyone had their wedding or been to a wedding at the Waltham Westin?  I have emailed them and even called and still gotten nowhere - no responses, no information.  Also, does anyone know anything about the Doubletree in Cambridge?  It is super close to my church and reasonably priced, and looks like it has some great views.  I am going to look at it tomorrow, but when I search for wedding info on here or even just Google, I can't find any reviews or anything.
    Posted by KtMack21[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the double tree in allston?  The one right on storrow?   I just went to a wedding there and it was great. Good sized room, another room for the dance floor attached.  Food was good.  Hope that helps!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

In Response to Need help finding a venue:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I have been reading and searching through the posts for awhile now but have never posted.  We want to have our wedding on Sept. 10th, 2011 in Arlington (ceremony), and have about 125-140 guests.  I definitely need to keep the reception costs below $100 per person.  We have looked at the Natick Crowne Plaza, the Sheraton Framingham, and Nashawtuc Country Club.  We LOVE Nashawtuc but are concerned because there do not seem to be any hotels nearby for out of town guests.  We like the idea of the Sheraton, as well as the location and prices but the room seemed too closed in and un-fancy.  Has anyone had their wedding at either the Sheraton or Nashawtuc?  I am requesting info from the Waltham Westin and Bedford Glen Doubletree, but does anyone have any other ideas?  Thanks in advance!!!!

We just got married at the Sheraton Framingham in October and loved it.  I had the same reservations about the room size, we didn't have enough people to fill the large room and went with the smaller room.  They told us it fit 140 though I wasn't convinced until the day of.  We had 133 people and there was plenty of room.  I thought the room was beautiful with the mirrors and chandeliers.  They were easy to work with, too and everyone commented on how good the meal was. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Sheraton Needham...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

The Habitat in Belmont is beautiful!  My friend got married there last year.  But to do it inside they can only fit a max of 100.  You can do a tent on the grounds for more people I think, but the rental fee was like $2500 (out of her budget!).

I had the same experience with the Westin Waltham.  I called them 3 times and they kept promising to email me their wedding package right away, but never did!  It was really frustrating.  I finally got it the 4th time.  It was pretty expensive, but I can email it to you if you post your email address.  The rooms look beautiful online, but I was turned off by their lack of responsiveness so never really checked them out.

If you would like a nice view, you should check out the Hyatt Regency Cambridge.  The view is *amazing* and I think they can work with your price range.

Did you like the Doubletree Bedford Glen?  I loved them and they are definitely in your price range.  Their coordinator Jocelyn is really nice and very responsive.  If you like them, definitely negotiate!!  We got them to come down like $10 pp and throw in a free appetizer display.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KtMack21. Show KtMack21's posts

Hi everyone!  Thank you SO MUCH for your help.  We went to see the Doubletree on Storrow and I really like it so far, just need to make sure it can work in our budget.

wedoct09 - we really like the Sheraton as well!  And it definitely seems like a great price! Do you think if you went any higher than 130ish it would be too cramped?  Also, did you just have a sweetheart table, and where did you have the DJ?  Sorry for the many questions, but the space and layout was what we were worried about there.

Ajuly09 - Thanks for the comments!  I really like it so far, space looks great - at the wedding you went to, did they have the cocktail reception on the roof?

Trex509 - I would REALLY appreciate it if you could email me the package!  If I look through it and its way out of our league I can just forget about them, but everytime I drive by it I think what a good location it would be for us!  Ktmack21@hotmail.com
    I haven't been to the Doubletree Bedford Glen yet, but I think it might be next on my list.  My parents think it is too out of the way for the Worcester guests, but it is also a great package price!

Thanks again everyone!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]Hi everyone!  Thank you SO MUCH for your help.  We went to see the Doubletree on Storrow and I really like it so far, just need to make sure it can work in our budget. wedoct09 - we really like the Sheraton as well!  And it definitely seems like a great price! Do you think if you went any higher than 130ish it would be too cramped?  Also, did you just have a sweetheart table, and where did you have the DJ?  Sorry for the many questions, but the space and layout was what we were worried about there. Ajuly09 - Thanks for the comments!  I really like it so far, space looks great - at the wedding you went to, did they have the cocktail reception on the roof? Trex509 - I would REALLY appreciate it if you could email me the package!  If I look through it and its way out of our league I can just forget about them, but everytime I drive by it I think what a good location it would be for us!  Ktmack21@hotmail.com I haven't been to the Doubletree Bedford Glen yet, but I think it might be next on my list.  My parents think it is too out of the way for the Worcester guests, but it is also a great package price! Thanks again everyone!!!

Yes the cocktail hr was on the roof...such an unbelievable view! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

KTMack:  forwarded you the email!

Wow, cocktails on the roof sounds *awesome*!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

[QUOTE]Hi everyone!  Thank you SO MUCH for your help.  We went to see the Doubletree on Storrow and I really like it so far, just need to make sure it can work in our budget. wedoct09 - we really like the Sheraton as well!  And it definitely seems like a great price! Do you think if you went any higher than 130ish it would be too cramped?  Also, did you just have a sweetheart table, and where did you have the DJ?  Sorry for the many questions, but the space and layout was what we were worried about there. Ajuly09 - Thanks for the comments!  I really like it so far, space looks great - at the wedding you went to, did they have the cocktail reception on the roof? Trex509 - I would REALLY appreciate it if you could email me the package!  If I look through it and its way out of our league I can just forget about them, but everytime I drive by it I think what a good location it would be for us!  Ktmack21@hotmail.com I haven't been to the Doubletree Bedford Glen yet, but I think it might be next on my list.  My parents think it is too out of the way for the Worcester guests, but it is also a great package price! Thanks again everyone!!!

We had 14 tables of 10 (they weren't all filled) and it was good.  I don't think you could have put another table in without being too squished so I wouldn't go more than 140 guests.  We did do a sweetheart table, it was at one end of the dance floor and the DJ was at the other end, off to the side.  If you do go with them, do your homework on the rooms.  They gave us a contract for one price (which I did talk them down to) and then some relatives found a price that was $20 cheaper online at hotels.com or something and they did end up matching the price for me.