New England Aquarium Venues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soon2bMrsColin. Show Soon2bMrsColin's posts

New England Aquarium Venues

Hello All,

I'm new to posting on the globe forums but I was recommended here from theknot.com. I was wondering if anyone had attended or had a wedding at the New England Aquarium? If so would you mind posting a little about your expereinces. It seems like such an awesome unique idea and I wanted to know how their events were.

Thanks so much!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: New England Aquarium Venues

I think Pinkkittie got married there and highly recommends it...if I recall correctly.  Pinkie, was that you?

Congrats and welcome to BDC!  Hope you stick around. :)

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I had my 2007 wedding there. It was a dream come true. the food and service was excelletn and the staff was incredibly helpful.
    At the time the coordinator was Laura O'Connor, and she met with us several times to wrok out the timing, what we wanted to include, our food choices, how we wanted eveerything set-up. When I booked my vendors, I simply had to hand their contact info off to her and she took it from there.
    We had our ceremony and reception in the main exhibit hall. Tables were located around the penguin tank and the food stations were up the ramp on the second level.
    They have quite few options of how to set things up, all of them work nicely.
    We had the New England Clam Bake station dinner. It was delicious. I am still hearing compliments about the food when anyone mentions the wedding.
    We had a nice room to prepare in in the offices away from the second level.
    The service was so good, they were clearing plates and glasses left and right, but also seemed invisible at the same time.
    I feel for everythign we got, the price was very reasonable. Tables, chairs, china, silverwear, linens, podium, the set-up room were all included. I didn't have to rent anything except a microphone, which they had and they let me rent for $20 for the whole night.
    Laura kept everything moving th day-of. She was there with champagne for me and my girls before we walked down the aisle. She pulled family members to pose for photos. She coordinated the recieving line. She told me to sit down and eat so I wouldn't forget. She had the cake and everything brought out at just the right time. I didn't have to do anythign that day but get ready and have fun. It was a truly wonderfuil experience.
    I have heard from all of my guests that it was the most fun wedding they've ever been to.
    None of the many children who were there cried or screamed once, They were too busy looking at the fish and penguins.
    Laura's number is 617-720-5115

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    You can see my pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/pinkkittie18

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Just wanted to add that a woman I worked with at Sephora attended another wedding there that took place on the peir in a tent. She said it was lovely.
    It's about the same $ to rent the main exhibit hall or the pier. Renting out the smaller jellyfish wing is less expensive but your wedding would have to be small.
    The main exhibit hall can accomodate up to 300. I had about 150 or more.
    It was a very cool and rainy May day, but it was perfect inside. Not too hot and not too cold.

You cannot have balloons at all. It's a hazard to the animals if they get lose or pop. You also have to let them know what kind of flowers you'll have and provide a sample- not of a full out bouquet, but just one each of the flowers you'll use. They have to make sure they're not poisonous to the penguins, fish or turtles should the unexpected happen and a few fall into the tank.
    I had oragami paper flowers, so I ddin't go through that process.

You have the add-on option of having a sea lion demonstration, staff at the petting tank or a feeding at the big tank. I didn't want to spend the extra money for it.

You do have to enter through the front enterance. This means you shoudl arrange to get there much earlier than your guests if you don't want to spoil the big reveal when you walk down the aisle.
    I had formals taken prior to the wedding, so everyone saw me, but I didn't really care about that. It would have been easy enough to  wear a long coat to hide the dress or change into the dress once inside. The room they let you prepare in is a good size.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soon2bMrsColin. Show Soon2bMrsColin's posts

Pinkkittie, thank you thank you thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm sure I'll post later tonight once my Fiance gets home from work. We have been debating all month long between a ski resort (january) or a vineyard wedding (october) until we saw the Aquarium. This might just be what we're looking for!!

I just had a few questions...if you don't mind.

Was there room for dancing?
    I noticed there was a minimum for spending on food and beverages, was this highly enforced?
    Was music a problem?
    How late were you allowed to stay there?
    Did you have alcohol served?
    The photos on their site show that little decoration would be needed did you use much?

Thanks so much, I'm sure I have a million more but this is fantastic!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Was there room for dancing?
    Yes, but if you reserve the front area for dancing, you have to do a smaller, round, head table. So, you can either do a sweetheart table or if you have a small wedding party, you can fit 8 comfortably. I had DH, me, his parents and my parents at the head table.

I noticed there was a minimum for spending on food and beverages, was this highly enforced?
    Yes, but it wasn't a problem because as soon as I selected the bar option I wanted (limited open bar, just beer and wine) and the New England Clambake station dinner ($60pp att he time) I was already over the minimum. I also found their minimum to be reasonable, seeing as though the venue rental was low, and it was lower than some hotels I had looked into.

Was music a problem?
    I did an iPod with a Bose sounsystem for music. Since the building is full of glass and cement and water, a little sound goes a long way. You could hear the music all the way at the top of the Reef Tank.

How late were you allowed to stay there?
    11 o'clock. You get 4 full hours from the start time of your rental. You can only start your rental an hour after the Aqurium has closed to the public. I do not believe set-up time is included in your hours, but you'll have to ask. It's been 2 years so some of the details are hazy.

Did you have alcohol served?
    Yes, we chose to go with beer and wine only at the bar. I didn't feel like hard liquor was necessary, but you can do a full open bar if you want to.

The photos on their site show that little decoration would be needed did you use much?
    I felt that the swathsof tulle we had on the podium and the jetty over the penguin tank was plenty. That with the tables all nicely set-up with the centerpieces, it looked great. The fish are reallyt he big decoration :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soon2bMrsColin. Show Soon2bMrsColin's posts

Pinkkittie you are fabulous!! A million thanks. I will forward this on to my fiance and mother!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

In Response to Re: New England Aquarium Venues:
    Was there room for dancing? Yes, but if you reserve the front area for dancing, you have to do a smaller, round, head table. So, you can either do a sweetheart table or if you have a small wedding party, you can fit 8 comfortably. I had DH, me, his parents and my parents at the head table. I noticed there was a minimum for spending on food and beverages, was this highly enforced? Yes, but it wasn't a problem because as soon as I selected the bar option I wanted (limited open bar, just beer and wine) and the New England Clambake station dinner ($60pp att he time) I was already over the minimum. I also found their minimum to be reasonable, seeing as though the venue rental was low, and it was lower than some hotels I had looked into. Was music a problem? I did an iPod with a Bose sounsystem for music. Since the building is full of glass and cement and water, a little sound goes a long way. You could hear the music all the way at the top of the Reef Tank. How late were you allowed to stay there? 11 o'clock. You get 4 full hours from the start time of your rental. You can only start your rental an hour after the Aqurium has closed to the public. I do not believe set-up time is included in your hours, but you'll have to ask. It's been 2 years so some of the details are hazy. Did you have alcohol served? Yes, we chose to go with beer and wine only at the bar. I didn't feel like hard liquor was necessary, but you can do a full open bar if you want to. The photos on their site show that little decoration would be needed did you use much? I felt that the swathsof tulle we had on the podium and the jetty over the penguin tank was plenty. That with the tables all nicely set-up with the centerpieces, it looked great. The fish are reallyt he big decoration :)
    Posted by pinkkittie18

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Good luck! I know this initial planning part is the most overwhelming! I'm happy to help any way I can.
    :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soon2bMrsColin. Show Soon2bMrsColin's posts

Hi, I was so excited I showed my fiance. He had a question (last one I swear). Did you and your guest have access to browse the jelly fish exhibit?

Thanks again pinkkittie!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

No. That's in another wing and it's extra to rent it out, so you do have the option of having it open if you want to spend the money to rent it. We only rented out the main exhibit hall.
    FWIW I think having that wing open would kind of mess with the flow of the event. It's so off to the side and you can't see into it from the main area.

In Response to Re: New England Aquarium Venues:
    Hi, I was so excited I showed my fiance. He had a question (last one I swear). Did you and your guest have access to browse the jelly fish exhibit? Thanks again pinkkittie!!
    Posted by Soon2bMrsColin

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Aww pink, pretty wedding photos :)

Sections
Shortcuts