Newport RI hotels/B&Bs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Newport RI hotels/B&Bs

Hi, everyone, I need your help!  My cousin is getting married in October 2010 at Oceancliff in Newport, RI.  I'm trying to find a hotel for the weekend, or a B&B.  The Marriott would be $299 per night for the weekend, but $169 for just the Sunday night if we stay only one night.  We cannot pay $300 per night.  Period.  And it looks like the other hotels nearby (Newport Harbor Hotel, the Hyatt) are just as expensive - the freakin' Holiday Inn something or other would be $160ish per night says Priceline! 

So now we are thinking we might just stay the one night - will fly to Boston on Saturday and drive down on Sunday for the Sunday PM wedding, stay overnight and return to Boston to fly back to MD on Monday.

But if any of you know of a good B&B to stay at that would be $160-$170 per night then I'd love to make a weekend of it - it's Columbus Day and I'd love to show my husband the mansions and the rest of Newport.  But not for $300 a night, frankly! 

So any ideas?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Newport RI hotels/B&Bs

If you like nice old farmhouses in great condition, we have stayed at Crosswinds  B&B 3 times- found them in Yankee Magazine originally.  In the southern part of North Kingstown,  off Boston Neck Rd which is Rt 1 (or 1A ?) a couple of miles above the turnoff to 138  east to Jamestown then Newport (Toll Bridge)  Overall 15 miles or less to anywhere in Newport.  A 15 minute drive,  but I always allow an additional 15 minutes for the bridge in traffic- still never over 30 minutes.
        No place good that close is cheap, but  $150 or under with rooms with private baths  is very good.   Fly into Providence, and rent a car.

http://crosswindsbnb.com/rooms.php

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesal. Show lesal's posts

I agree with whatawag, try looking just outside of Newport.  Portsmouth & Middletown are on the same island, or Jamestown, Wickford....  don't forget RI is tiny, it's only a 15 min drive into Newport from anywhere around!  I can't help much with hotel ideas (I did stay at the America's Cup Inn for a November wedding once and it was reasonably priced and decent) but it would be a shame to drive down just for the one night.  Fly into Providence and make a weekend of it anyway, even if you don't stay in Newport proper. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongirl831. Show bostongirl831's posts

I have a couple recommendations... 

1. Look at hotels in Middletown -- it is literally 5 minutes away from Newport and the hotels are always cheaper.
    2. If you don't mind driving a bit, you could stay in South Kingstown which is about 15 minutes away - I stayed at the Hampton Inn there not to long ago for $120 a night, brand new super nice hotel. 
    3. Depending when it is in October, it might be the weekend of the annual Octoberfest in Newport which is why the hotels are so expensive. 

In Response to Newport RI hotels/B&Bs:
    [QUOTE]Hi, everyone, I need your help!  My cousin is getting married in October 2010 at Oceancliff in Newport, RI.  I'm trying to find a hotel for the weekend, or a B&B.  The Marriott would be $299 per night for the weekend, but $169 for just the Sunday night if we stay only one night.  We cannot pay $300 per night.  Period.  And it looks like the other hotels nearby (Newport Harbor Hotel, the Hyatt) are just as expensive - the freakin' Holiday Inn something or other would be $160ish per night says Priceline!  So now we are thinking we might just stay the one night - will fly to Boston on Saturday and drive down on Sunday for the Sunday PM wedding, stay overnight and return to Boston to fly back to MD on Monday. But if any of you know of a good B&B to stay at that would be $160-$170 per night then I'd love to make a weekend of it - it's Columbus Day and I'd love to show my husband the mansions and the rest of Newport.  But not for $300 a night, frankly!  So any ideas?
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

Try the Best Western the Mainstay Inn.  Of the hotels not right "in" Newport, it is the closest.  Their rate should be around $150. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

CT.DC, last summer, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Howard Johnson in Middletown, and I was shocked at how clean and nice it was. It was honestly one of the most clean hotels I have ever stayed in. Beds were comfortable and the rooms were huge. The hotel was about 10 minutes away from the Newport Mansions. I don't know where that is in regards to Ocean Cliff, but I would definitely check it out!

Sections
Shortcuts