North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang!

Hello everyone,

(SORRY THIS IS SO LONG!)
    This is the first time I've posted, but I've been reading for quite some time now.

First some background: My husband and I got married earlier this year, by the Justice of the Peace.  It was just us and our parents, and his 6yo daughter.  We did this for a couple of reason, 1. we are waiting for his annullment to be finalized (the Church says everything should be done in February 2010), and 2. we wanted to buy a house, which we did!  We would like to have a Catholic ceremony and reception in September 2010.

So here is where the fun begins!  I grew up on the North Shore and hope to have my wedding at the church I grew up in and then have a reception in either Gloucester or Rockport, maybe venture out a little further.  We will be using our $8,000 tax credit, for everything.  It will just be us paying for the wedding.  Our guest list has about 150 people, obviously all of whom won't attend.  I would like dinner and dancing and I have a billion ideas on DIY projects to save money.  Growing up on the North Shore I can't live without the ocean and would like to somehow incorporate that into the reception, most likely with views.

We haven't looked at anything yet, and won't have any money for deposits until we get our tax returns.  What should I do first?

Some places I've been considering are the Gloucester Stage Company, Annisquam Yacht Club (depending on how much it is and if we can find a sponsor), The Gloucester House, Rockport Art Association (although it's very small), and the Elk's (my main concern is cost).  I would prefer a Saturday evening reception, but am in no way opposed to a Sunday.

TIA for all of your advice and input!

=)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang!

Congratulations!

I had to study up on annulments for my own situation.  I was told that it's a trial, of sorts, and the particular marriage tribunal handling your husband's case might rule against it.  If he has a child, I thought that pretty much made an annulment not possible, and it at least increases the chances of it being denied.  However, like I said, it's up to the diocese and their marriage tribunal.  The point of my bringing it up is to make sure you've dealt with what will happen if the Church refuses to grant the annulment.  It's a possibility, and I wouldn't want you to go on your merry way thinking it's in the bag. 

Frankly, I'd wait until the annulment is granted before I spent a lot of money on a Catholic wedding day.  There might be issues with that, too, in and of itself, but I'm guessing you've talked to a priest about "marrying" you even though you are already civilly married.  Technically, the Church will not recognize a civil marriage as a Sacrament, so it's probably fine.

Sorry to be a downer, but I'd hate to have you surprised by a "No" that you don't know can happen.  I hope it all goes through as expected, though, of course!!!

Blessings,
    ~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Thanks Kargiver,

He's been in the annulment process for over a year now and has already met personally with the Tribunal.  They pretty much told him that there's a 99% chance that it will get approved and all should be final in February of 2010.  If I aired the dirty laundry of how his previous marriage came to, you'd understand that it's pretty much a done deal. 

That being said, we are prepared to have a civil "vow renewal" at the reception site should the annulment be denied.  As important as the Catholic Sacrament of Marriage is to me, I knew what I was getting into when I fell in love with my husband and his daughter.  I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed, I'd be downright heartbroken.  If that does happen, we are still married and would like to finally celebrate our love and commitment with our friends and family.  And damnit, I'm going to dress up like a bride!  I hope this doesn't sound defensive!
    =)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

teeny, I hope they rule in his favor and happy to know they've practically assured him they will.  I've been through a similar thing; that's how I knew to ask what I did, ya know?

Enjoy being a bride and marrying the man of your dreams!!  We'll be here for you.  The boards are acting a little flakey today, though.  I can only get to Weddings, nothing else.

Take care and have fun!!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from haleymarie82. Show haleymarie82's posts

I have a friend who had her wedding at the Elks for 180 people and kept the cost around $10,000. You can totally do it, especially if you would consider a Sunday. She did it on a Saturday night and still managed. Kelly (at the Elks) is super-sweet and will help you keep your budget in check. My friend used Creative Catering for the food, Blue Gate Gardens for flowers, and the Pros for photography and videography. You can do it if you don't get swept up in all the little things! There is no view like the Elks. I had my shower there and loved it. I've been to a ton of weddings there (I'm from Gloucester) as well as loads of other events and it's always a great time!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

In Response to North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang!:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone, (SORRY THIS IS SO LONG!) This is the first time I've posted, but I've been reading for quite some time now. First some background: My husband and I got married earlier this year, by the Justice of the Peace.  It was just us and our parents, and his 6yo daughter.  We did this for a couple of reason, 1. we are waiting for his annullment to be finalized (the Church says everything should be done in February 2010), and 2. we wanted to buy a house, which we did!  We would like to have a Catholic ceremony and reception in September 2010. So here is where the fun begins!  I grew up on the North Shore and hope to have my wedding at the church I grew up in and then have a reception in either Gloucester or Rockport, maybe venture out a little further.  We will be using our $8,000 tax credit, for everything.  It will just be us paying for the wedding.  Our guest list has about 150 people, obviously all of whom won't attend.  I would like dinner and dancing and I have a billion ideas on DIY projects to save money.  Growing up on the North Shore I can't live without the ocean and would like to somehow incorporate that into the reception, most likely with views. We haven't looked at anything yet, and won't have any money for deposits until we get our tax returns.  What should I do first? Some places I've been considering are the Gloucester Stage Company, Annisquam Yacht Club (depending on how much it is and if we can find a sponsor), The Gloucester House, Rockport Art Association (although it's very small), and the Elk's (my main concern is cost).  I would prefer a Saturday evening reception, but am in no way opposed to a Sunday. TIA for all of your advice and input! =)
    Posted by teeny331[/QUOTE]
    Think twice about using your tax credit for the wedding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

In Response to Re: North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang! : Think twice about using your tax credit for the wedding.
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

Why is that?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang! : Why is that?

I know why!  Because everyone always has an opinion about other people's business :oP
    Do what you want with your own money!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Check out the Rockport Country Club.  I think the building rents for 300.  or some very nominal price.  It's a great place for dancing, buffet etc. Has a huge fireplace and tables by windows overlooking the golf course.  We had our junior prom there and also our 30th high school reunion!!!

Other places - Seaward Inn - right on the ocean.  The Blacksmith Shop - right on the harbor.  I do not know if they do functions, but they have a great setup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang! : Why is that?
    Because the tax credit was to help people buiy a house. If you were going to buy a house without the credit, that is one thing. If you needed the tax credit to buy a house that is another story.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: North Shore Wedding Locations, and the whole shebang! : I know why!  Because everyone always has an opinion about other people's business :oP Do what you want with your own money!
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]
    They should do what they want. Hopefully it will be the right decision. I was only bringing up a factor that they should think about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Johnath is a wise poster and means no disrespect in my experience.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Downtoearth, I grew up in Rockport too, we had our end of the year dance at the Country Club when I was in 6th grade.  That's where I learned the Macarena! lol  The Seaward Inn is too small for what we're looking for.  The Blacksmith Shop would hold our guest list, but do you know if there's room for dancing?

Johnath, I appreciate your "concern" but my husband and I aren't foolishly spending money; everything is thought out and planned accordingly.  Hence, the wedding budget of only $8,000 since we can't afford a more lavish affair that's more typical these days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

hmmm - you probably know my nephew - class of 2k2. 

The Blacksmith shop has a huge empty space in their foyer next to the bar that would be a great dance floor.  I don't know if they do functions, but they have a web site.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from teeny331. Show teeny331's posts

Downtoearth, I graduated in 2002, but I went to GHS for highschool because they had an awsome fashion design class freshman year.  The cancelled the class after the first year and I just ended up staying at GHS.  I probably know him though, Rockport's so small, it's hard to forget the people you grew up with!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnJankun. Show JohnJankun's posts

BALI HAI - LYNNFIELD, MA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from isitfriday. Show isitfriday's posts

try hammond castle.  AND they are stimulating the ecomonmy with the tax credit $$ so who cares what they do with it??