Questions to ask when signing a venue contract??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Questions to ask when signing a venue contract??

Hi ladies,

I'm going to sign the venue contract/put down the deposit tomorrow at the Westford Regency.  Any suggestions on additional questions to ask/clarify that I may not have thought of by now?  I did do some negotiating already - so I'll want those terms in the contract of course....

Any input/advice/lessons learned would be great!

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

Re: Questions to ask when signing a venue contract??

I would actually love to hear answers to this as well as I am currently reviewing my contract for Belle Mer.  I am a lawyer and do contract review as a large part of my job so some of this comes naturally to me but I would love to hear wedding specific tips.

I am going to ask that my deposits go into an Escrow account so that in the event the venue goes bankrupt, I will not lose my money. 

My agreement includes a provision stating that if you are late on a payment you have to pay a $500 late fee.  I always require that before charging the late fee the vendor agrees to notify you in writing of the due date of the payment at least 7 days prior to the payment date. 

Make sure that everything that has been discussed verbally is included in the contract.  For example, I was told that I would have use of a bridal suite prior to the ceremony and throughout the event but when I read the contract it made it sound like this would cost extra.  I requested that an addendum be added to state that the brideal suite is no charge and can be used prior to and during the event. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

Hi twinklie, I double checked that I could do a candy buffet, or have cookies as favors. The venue we went with stated in the contract that only a licsensed bakery would be allowed to do these and everything had to be bagged and ribboned... I explained to them that I'm a baker and wanted to do a lot the stuff of myself they drew up and addendum and we both approved it, and signed.
         Hey summer, are you going to Belle Mer in Newport?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Be sure you ask about any possible fees and have the cost of each and every thing you're getting from the venue listed separately in the contract so that they cannot change the price on you.
    Make sure to ask if there will be any fees or costs associated with any of the vendors you'll be bringing in, and have them all listed seperately in the contract.
    You'll also want to make sure that if anything happens to the venue (fire, flood, etc.) that you will get your deposit back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

In Response to Re: Questions to ask when signing a venue contract??:
    [QUOTE]Hi twinklie, I double checked that I could do a candy buffet, or have cookies as favors. The venue we went with stated in the contract that only a licsensed bakery would be allowed to do these and everything had to be bagged and ribboned... I explained to them that I'm a baker and wanted to do a lot the stuff of myself they drew up and addendum and we both approved it, and signed.      Hey summer, are you going to Belle Mer in Newport?
    Posted by Neena101511[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are going with Belle Mer.  I'm just reviewing the contract this week but we have put a hold on our date. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

Thanks all for the suggestions!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

I don't think people have mentioned this... make sure the venue is properly insured... and also ask about property damage liability, whether you need to get that yourself, or they have it covered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombshellgirl. Show bombshellgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Questions to ask when signing a venue contract??:
    [QUOTE]I would actually love to hear answers to this as well as I am currently reviewing my contract for Belle Mer.  I am a lawyer and do contract review as a large part of my job so some of this comes naturally to me but I would love to hear wedding specific tips. I am going to ask that my deposits go into an Escrow account so that in the event the venue goes bankrupt, I will not lose my money.  My agreement includes a provision stating that if you are late on a payment you have to pay a $500 late fee.  I always require that before charging the late fee the vendor agrees to notify you in writing of the due date of the payment at least 7 days prior to the payment date.  Make sure that everything that has been discussed verbally is included in the contract.  For example, I was told that I would have use of a bridal suite prior to the ceremony and throughout the event but when I read the contract it made it sound like this would cost extra.  I requested that an addendum be added to state that the brideal suite is no charge and can be used prior to and during the event. 
    Posted by Summer2010[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombshellgirl. Show bombshellgirl's posts

Hi bombshellgirl,
    How much would you charge me to go over my contract with them?
    Please advise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kateh123. Show Kateh123's posts

- Take a good hard look at the timeline of things, do you ahev an hourly restriction, how much is it to extend that time? when do you get the space.

- if you have an elaborate set-up, what tiem does the room become available. They will book an afternoon wedding if they can in teh same sapce as you. and only provide for 2 hours of turnaround.

- yes, check for additional charges to bring in your own vendors. or see if it is cheaper to go through them to get the services you need.

- incomming cake? there is probably a cutting/plating fee.

- thre are MANY different ways to be charged for a bar, get the details on how you are being charged....consumption, open, open premium, open defined hours, flat rate, capped (if you get to certain $$ number of consumption they will check withyou before they close the bar.) 

- make sure they have cap on how many bottles of wine or champagne to open, then have the m check with someone. They will pop a bunch of bottles and may not use them but if they un cork it you pay for it.

- Vendor meals. most vendors require, check that they are not charging you for a guest meal, but for a vendor meal.......cause vendor DEFINITLY don't get fed what your guests get fed.

- Event insurance: you can get this for very cheap, so in the instance that soemthing happens. http://www.wedsafe.com/why-wedsafe/wedding-insurance-claims.jsp I'm not an insurance agent but I have seen wedding clients have to cancel and many of them a. lose a deposit or b. have to pay the vendors and venue a certain percentage of the total cost depedning on how close they have to cancel the event. Depending on the venue and timeline of cancellation you can lose a lot of money they don't often let you just postpone or reschedule, especially if it's at a high volume time. 

hmmmm........ That it off the top of my head.... of course all of the F&B details, venue amenities, tables, chairs, staff per table, staff per guest, staff per bar, costs for staff....ADMIN fees, tax, gratuity included?.

Sadly it keeps going.......