Reception with Character, Help please!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gaelicgal. Show Gaelicgal's posts

Reception with Character, Help please!

I've been dragging my feet with my wedding planning and need to start planning yesterday.

The thing that is holding me up is the reception place. I want something with Character, rustic or by the water etc. (don't love cookie cutter reception rooms) but it needs to be big enough for 160 people. I have found anything yet that I like enough to spend thousands of dollars on.
    Preferably on the South Shore or Cape

Red lion Inn, Camp Bourndale have already been ruled out.

Any suggestions? I need help badly

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Re: Reception with Character, Help please!

Hi Gaelic!

Have you looked into the Jones River Trading Company in Kingston?  It's right on the Jones River, seats 50 to 225 people, and it's very unique looking.  Almost like a really large boathouse.  They use Plymouth Bay Catering for the food, and I've heard nothing but good things about them.

The daughter of a woman I work with got married there recently, and she raved about it.  A friend of mine also booked the Jones River Trading for her 2010 wedding.  Here is the website if you're interested: 
    http://www.thejonesrivertrading.com/

Good luck!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUFISHBOY. Show RUFISHBOY's posts

my daughter is getting married at the popponnessett inn, mashpee. it is on the water...great food, lovely place, nice people. hth

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gaelicgal. Show Gaelicgal's posts

I was in a wedding at Jones River Trading, so I was hoping to find something different, trying not to repeat if possible. Nice place though, and def has what I'm looking for. 

Rufishboy: Do you mind me asking how much the food/reception is costing you? That place is amazing but I'm afraid its a little more then we are looking to spend. 
    When is the wedding? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]I was in a wedding at Jones River Trading, so I was hoping to find something different, trying not to repeat if possible. Nice place though, and def has what I'm looking for.  Posted by Gaelicgal[/QUOTE]

I totally understand.  I probably wouldn't pick a venue that I'd already been to either.  I'll keep trying to think of some more ideas, and hopefully other people will have some for you too.  :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

What about:

Commanders Mansion
    Lyman Estate
    Codman Estate
    Longfellows Wayside Inn
    Endicott Estate
    Henderson House

All mansions/old property's that are not "wedding-y" IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Red Lion Inn in Cohasset has a rustic feel to it and by the water.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Woops! I just read your whole post- sorry!
    The Publick House in Sturbridge ( a little off the beaten path) but very rustic. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

On the South Shore, you can actually have your reception at Plimoth Plantation, which is very different.

You can also have a wedding reception at Old Sturbridge Village, but that is not in your target area.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Here is a link of the facilities, but this also has all the information for wedding packages. Good luck!
    http://www.plimoth.org/dining-functions/facilities.php

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We "repeated" a wedding, and much to our relief it was totally "ours," after all, and not a cheezy reproduction of our friends' wedding at the same venue.  If you really love a place, I'd not worry so much about a "repeat" experience.  Everything, essentially, will be different.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I even found a video of a wedding there, looks nice!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jLjEjlplcE/R4YieKqagMI/AAAAAAAAAGI/79ec7oSztbg/s400/13cover.JPEG&imgrefurl=http://www.markwillandvideonews.com/2008/01/plimoth-plantation-ma-wedding-alexandra.html&usg=__xmWRB019VJmdiu_gWb1QBs_uNJY=&h=293&w=400&sz=21&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=xwmdRkLYPponDM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dplimoth%2Bplantation%2Bwedding%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enUS304US304%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

How can I post a link that says "video" instead of all the address cr*p??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miss-cellaneousJones. Show miss-cellaneousJones's posts

New Bedford Whaling Museum

http://www.whalingmuseum.org/rentals/weddings.html

Historic, unique, tons of character with water views. We had our reception there in 2005 and I can't say enough great things about the place!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I've heard good things about the Barker Tavern in Scituate as well.  I know someone who had his reception there and he said they were fantastic.

http://www.barkerweddings.com/

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gaelicgal. Show Gaelicgal's posts

I'm actually from the Plymouth Area, The room is pretty tight, but you are right its a great spot, thanks for the video!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

We are having ours in the Wharf Room at Boston Harbor Hotel but the cocktail reception is in the Rotunda.  For me, it is the best of both worlds.  I wanted a city wedding, which the Rotunda lends itself to, and the Ocean view from the Wharf room is almost like a bonus.  I think BHH has a tremendous amount of character and warmth, didn't seem to cookie-cutter-ish to me and we looked at TONS of places.  HTH! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUFISHBOY. Show RUFISHBOY's posts

Hi...popponnessett is not cheap....$6,000 to rent  for a saturday evening in season. Wedding is in September. Total estimate for 170 people, open bar, TONS of appetizers ( may cut these) and a combo plate of filet mignon and baked stuffed shrimp comes to an additional $26,500. This includes having the ceremony on site. HTH  good luck in finding the perfect venue. There are other places on the cape on the water or with water views that are more reasonable, again, best of luck

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Reception with Character, Help please!:
    [QUOTE]Hi...popponnessett is not cheap....$6,000 to rent  for a saturday evening in season. Wedding is in September. Total estimate for 170 people, open bar, TONS of appetizers ( may cut these) and a combo plate of filet mignon and baked stuffed shrimp comes to an additional $26,500. This includes having the ceremony on site. HTH  good luck in finding the perfect venue. There are other places on the cape on the water or with water views that are more reasonable, again, best of luck
    Posted by RUFISHBOY[/QUOTE]

Holy moly! You are a great father!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

klm- i didn't realize that the rotunda was an option for cocktail hour at the BHH. That is so cool. What month are you having your wedding? I would assume it would only be available in the May-Sept season, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SShoreChic. Show SShoreChic's posts

Im an idiot- sorry- i was thinking the gazebo, not the rotunda.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShoeGal0523. Show ShoeGal0523's posts

believe it or not... the Museum of Science has outdoor space right on the charles river!  it's pretty unique and great views of the city! my friend looked there for her reception but decided on a smaller reception at her home to save some money.  good luck!!!!