Rehearsal dinners in Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Rehearsal dinners in Boston?

Hi!

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I couldn't find an answer to this question in the old posts, so apologies if this has already been discussed!

My future mother-in-law (who lives in another state) asked me to find a few "reasonably priced" locations in Boston to potentially hold the rehearsal dinner. She hopes to come to Boston this summer some time to look at places (our wedding isn't for another year).  Our wedding will be in the Copley/Prudential area, so I was trying to find some place within walking distance or a short cab ride, but all I've been able to find are really expensive restaurants!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Rehearsal dinners in Boston?

Gosh, that's a tall order, walking distance from the Pru.  Parking is more than what she probably expects to pay per person for dinner. :(

But, we're a resourceful bunch - stay tuned, I'll be thinking about it, and maybe someone knows something off the top of their heads.  Just posting to bump it up and let you know we care!!

Welcome!

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

I've never been to this location, so I'm not sure how the set up would be, or if they even will do a party, but...

What about the Cheesecake Factory? It's right in the Pru...not sure how "reasonably priced" it will be in your future MIL's eyes...'

Good luck, hopefully there will be some other voices out there to help!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Rehearsal Dinner is the day before the wedding, right?  Why does it have to be next door to where you are getting married?  I know the rehearsal is at the wedding venue (church?), but if it's scheduled at 3:00, it'll be over at 4:00, and then you have an hour to reasonably play with for travel (carpool) to a decent place that's reasonably priced.

That's what we did.  There are great, relatively inexpensive places in the greater Boston area.  We had family coming in for our Sudbury, MA wedding from all over the country (CA, PA, FL, NY, NH), and we carpooled to a place an hour south of the church after the rehearsal in RI for the rehearsal dinner.  No one seemed to mind.  Diner was at 6:00, and everyone was back at their hotels by 9:30.

I know it's not your ideal solution, but inexpensive in downtown Boston...I dunno about that!

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cheesecake Factory would be fun, Txgrl!  I'm guessing it would cost about $35 pp for dinner. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fall08Bride. Show Fall08Bride's posts

We had our Rehearsal Dinner at Skipjacks, which is right on Clarendon behind Trinity Church.  They have a private room (we had about 35 people) and a range of menus from $25pp-$50pp if I remember correctly.  The service was outstanding and the food delicious.  They let us bring in stuff to decorate the tables and did all the set up for us.  They also offer discounted validated parking for the garage beneath the restaurant. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

Maggiano's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Just to chime in on Cheesecake, I had contacted the Chestnut Hill location for a work function and for a private space they were going to charge a minimum of $55 per head to allow us to order off the menu for an entree and cheesecake only.  Drinks, apps and anything else they were going to charge us the menu price.  On top they wanted a 22% tip/service charge.  We said no thanks since this was way above our budget. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

November, what a ripoff!

I have to say I'm not surprised (hence my quotations around reasonably priced above), considering how much it costs just to go there for a regular dinner...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Maggianos or PF Changs might work. Otherwise all those restaurants are pretty expensive. There is a Legal Seafoods in the Prudential Mall that might be reasonable, but I have no idea. You are going to have to tell your FMIL that Boston is just an expensive place to dine!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Legal's would be fabulous especially for OOT guests to enjoy Boston seafood, but I think it would be no less than $100/pp. And, $55 for Cheesecake Factory?! That's nutty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

I was kind of shocked by Cheesecake's prices but I guess they really do not need functions or private parties.   We ended up renting out Appetito in Newton Center which even though the entree prices are a little higher than Cheesecake they gave us a per head price that was very reasonable and provided super service. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I was going to say Newton is a good option, that is where we will probably have ours because the church we are getting married in is in Newton, although I don't know of a lot of restaraunts in Newton except bars, pizza joints, etc. I have eaten at Appetito and I am a fan.

What about the Allston/Brighton area? Cambridge?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Joe's American Bar & Grill on Dartmouth & Newbury is a great place.

Charley's on Gloucester & Newbury is also a nice place.

Both are reasonably priced and the food is good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Joe's American Bar & Grill on Dartmouth & Newbury is a great place. Charley's on Gloucester & Newbury is also a nice place. Both are reasonably priced and the food is good.
    Posted by pinkkittie18

I think Charley's is the place I was going to recommend, but I wasn't 100% sure of the name.  I have eaten there 3 times.  Food has always been great and the prices are reasonable given that it's on Newbury Street.  It's walking distance from the Pru/Copley Center.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

If you're up for Mexican, there's the Cactus Club on Boylston as well.

Jasper White's Summer Shack is located by Kings on the side of the Pru, it has good seafood.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

We are having ours at Top of the Hub, but not dinner per se.  Many guests are flying in and around the time of the Rehearsal so it will be a cocktail/appetizer reception for about 3 hours.  Very informal.  We have a private room, reasonable rate and the per person charge was very cost effective!  Dealing with Meghan there and she has been great!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

Thank you all so much! I'm going to send these suggestions on (including websites) and see what she says. The Cheesecake factory is my favorite restaurant, but I don't think the Pru location has a private room. Skipjacks, Maggianos, and Appetito sound great! Something in Newton or The Cactus Club would be fun too. With the location thing, I think we were trying to get around taking cars so people wouldn't have to worry about drinking and could get back to their hotels whenever they wanted, but a short cab ride shouldn't be a problem! I'll let you know if a decision is made!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

The Cactus Club is on Boylston Street just two blocks down from the Pru. No cab ride necessary. :)

Thank you all so much! I'm going to send these suggestions on (including websites) and see what she says. The Cheesecake factory is my favorite restaurant, but I don't think the Pru location has a private room. Skipjacks, Maggianos, and Appetito sound great! Something in Newton or The Cactus Club would be fun too. With the location thing, I think we were trying to get around taking cars so people wouldn't have to worry about drinking and could get back to their hotels whenever they wanted, but a short cab ride shouldn't be a problem! I'll let you know if a decision is made!
    Posted by Epigal

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Cheesecake Factory is EXPENSIVE. A glass of wine will be $8 for example. -- They don't take reservaitions and there will be a long (1-1/2 hr. or so) wait. The last time we went there - my son and DIL got there early to get a table - they shared two appetizer and had two drinks before they were seated. Just crazy!

I've never been to this location, so I'm not sure how the set up would be, or if they even will do a party, but... What about the Cheesecake Factory? It's right in the Pru...not sure how "reasonably priced" it will be in your future MIL's eyes...' Good luck, hopefully there will be some other voices out there to help!
    Posted by Txgrl82

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from becauseican. Show becauseican's posts

We are having ours at Top of the Hub, but not dinner per se.  Many guests are flying in and around the time of the Rehearsal so it will be a cocktail/appetizer reception for about 3 hours.  Very informal.  We have a private room, reasonable rate and the per person charge was very cost effective!  Dealing with Meghan there and she has been great!
    Posted by klm44

Hi KLM, If you would be so kind to share the price per person of your rehearsal dinner I'd love to know since I'm trying to plan my own.  I like that venue for my out of town guests (FMIL&FFIL are from Amsterdam) because the view is fabulous.  I just don't want to spend an arm in a leg since my FI and I are incurring the cost of it.  Thanks!!  (I completely understand if you don't want to share either)

Sections
Shortcuts