salem venue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenrubin. Show chickenrubin's posts

salem venue

has anyone had or been to a wedding at the salem waterfront hotel?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from simon08. Show simon08's posts

Re: salem venue

I have not been to the Salem Waterfront but am having my wedding at The Hawthorne in October - it is such a gorgeous hotel and they offer good packages that include just about everything!
    the staff has also been awesome to work with!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

I've been to several functions at the Salem Waterfront Hotel.  Our company uses them often for affairs. 

The "ballroom" has no view other than a parking lot and the ceilings are really low in it, making it seem more cramped.  The food can be good but not always.

The Hawthorne is much more scenic!  And I know there are other posters here who have had great things to say about the Lyceum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

We looked at the Hawthorne Hotel and it is gorgeous! I highly suggest it over the SWFH, only because of the views and the gorgeous ballroom. We ended up booking something closer to Boston, but I would have definitely booked with them. GL! :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

The Salem waterfront hotel doesn't even really have a waterfront. The lobby is tiny and the ballroom is very generic with low ceilings as stated before. I was completely unimpressed and bored with the place the second I walked in the door.

The Hawthorne was much nicer, but the entire 2nd floor smelled like cigarette smoke due to the smoking rooms they had. Maybe they've gone to 100% nonsmoking, but I was there about 1.5 yrs ago and they definitely had smoking rooms on the same floor where the cocktail hour is held.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenrubin. Show chickenrubin's posts

i visited both the hawthorne and the waterfront.  i loved hawthorne but it's like 2000 over our budget and despite other places accommodating our needs and reducing rental fees or waiving minimum amounts, hawthorne was adamant about their prices.  i'm not in love with the waterfront and my fiancee doesn't understand that for me i need to be in love with the room.  he is so focused on the budget that his thought is a room is a room.  so i'm very frustrated.  am i wrong to want a place that's pretty?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I was married at the Hawthorne in January and I would recommend it highly to anyone.  It was beautiful and we would not have changed a thing.  The Hawthorne was about $2K more than we wanted to spend too and we ended up going with it because we couldn't sacrafice the view compared to the cheaper ones we saw.  I can't stand a low ceiling or no windows in the ballroom.. there are definitely ways to make it less expensive though with some of their options.  We got married in the winter so that made it less for us to begin with.. but with a four course meal (and huge portions) there was no need for so many past o'douevres during cocktail hour.. we ended up going with a chees/cracker/fruit display only.. it was perfect.  We also did a consumption wine/beer only bar.. our consumption limit made it till almost the end of the night.  I heard it was up about 30 mins before the end of our reception.  Of course the people that wanted liquor had to pay but no complaints..  we did splurge for the chivari chairs though, I really felt like they made a difference.. but we kept the original ivory on ivory linens.  I saved money elsewhere to make us get the ballroom we wanted.  (such as DJ, flowers, dress, makeup, invitations).  You can do it.. just shop around for other things.  we made our invitations and they ended up costing less than the price of a stamp.  Our DJ was under $1K.  My flowers were under $1K, my hair and makeup including trial was just over $100 for bot, my dress was less than $1K.  I think if you are within $2K of your budget you can make it up elsewhere and you should get what you want.  :-)  Good Luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Honestly, if your only 2 choices in Salem are the Waterfront or the Hawthorne, I'd pick the Hawthorne in a heartbeat and find the $2k elsewhere in the budget. The Waterfront totally underwhelmed me.  I actually had my reception at the Lyceum and it was gorgeous.  The view isn't great, but the period decor is fantastic - no one is really looking out the windows anyway, unless you are right on the water and have an unobstructed view.  THe view from the Hawthorne isn't all that great either [the Common is not that exciting[ but it beats the heck out of the Waterfront. 

If you have 110 people or fewer for your reception, check out the Lyceum. You get the entire upstairs and it is gorgeous when it's all set up.  The photos on the website are kind of 'eh', but it is lovely in person.