Say No To Hyatts....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Say No To Hyatts....

Please re-consider if you are thinking about having your wedding at any of the Hyatt's in the Boston area. I am not trying to start a fight, but this just makes me really upset.

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2010/04/02/ex_hyatt_workers_find_job_market_less_than_hospitable/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Say No To Hyatts....

I understand that people getting laid off is unfortuante, but I fail to see how boycotting and the union driving $3.7M away from the Hyatt will bring any jobs back.
    If the Hyatt had to lay off that many people because they couldn't afford it at that time, there's no way they could take them back now that they're making even less. All a boycott will do is put the jobs of the other people who work at Hyatt at risk. People who had no say in the layoffs and work there are suffering due to such boycotts, and I don't think that's fair to them.

I don't agree with the manner in which Hyatt notified their employees of the layoffs, but nothing will change that now. If we truly care about their employess, we won't put any more jobs at risk through a boycott.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Maybe the Boston Globe should do a story on all the other people who have been laid off in MA and how well they are faring at finding new jobs.  It is a difficult time for a lot of people, not just the Hyatt housekeepers.  While I agree that the way the Hyatt chose to lay off their employees was terrible, they are not the only company that has had to cut back and they have been demonized by the press.  I also feel that these type of political discussions do not belong on a wedding board.  I'm sure a lot of people have their weddings planned at a Hyatt hotel and it is not fair to tell them they should boycott the hotel, feel guilty about their choice or tell them they should change their wedding plans due to this issue.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

While I didn't work for Hyatt Hotels, I've been among this country's unemployed.  Outside of a seasonal gig during christmas 2008, i've been unemployed for over 2 years.  All of my unemployment extensions are gone...and I can't get anyone to look at my resume never mind call for an interview...

The Hyatt Housekeepers aren't the only ones unemployed in this state..or country...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Laryan, are you going to the Cenus job fair at City Hall today?  I know it's only temporary, but it's something.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Lucy, are the jobs temp jobs? I am looking for a summer job, but the problem is that I only need it July-first week of September, and a lot of people say no immediately to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I agree that it's important to KEEP sending the message to Hyatt that what they did was wrong, and the only way they will get the message is to be hit in the wallet! 

There's no reason to choose Hyatt with so many other options available. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

What type fo work are you looking for Laryan/What is your experience.... maybe we can put some wedding board networking in to action??!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Peonie, all the census jobs are temporary (I think), but, unfortunately, I don't know what the duration is. 

Check out this site:
    http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Lucy, I had no idea there was a census job fair today..I would have been there..it would have been a paycheck...

Prill, I've got admin/reception as well as heavy (in recent years) retail experience.

My biggest issue is "no car" (hubby needs it for work, not in a position to purchase a 2nd car right now) and I need something accessible to the MBTA's Orange Line (i'm 2 blocks from the Sullivan Square Station)   Thanks :) 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Edit to earlier posts: 

While I feel for the Hyatt Housekeepers, they aren't the only ones out of work.  The more friends/family/acquaintences I speak with, more and more are unemployed...I have a good friend who is a nurse, just got laid off, she gets only 5 weeks of unemployment..she has a house and 2 kids (she's a single mom) and earlier this week she applied for a nursing job, that 87 other nurses applied for..

I also have 4 friends who lost their jobs in the 3 days before thanksgiving, and are also still looking, and having the same luck I am in finding a new job (none)  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Laryan, there is a job fair at the Arlington Town Hall on April 8th. I know it would be difficult to get there, but you could take the T to Harvard Sq. and then the bus to Arlington. I know a lot of companies and hospitals will be there. I hope this helps a little.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

In Response to Re: Say No To Hyatts....:
    [QUOTE]What type fo work are you looking for Laryan/What is your experience.... maybe we can put some wedding board networking in to action??!
    Posted by Prill[/QUOTE]

If anyone works for NY Life in Westwood, please send me a message. I'm trying to get in contact with someone I sort of know who works there but any other means of networking also can't hurt. :-) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Laryan - There is an admin position available with one of our of branches.  Not sure which one, but it is in downtown Boston.  Here are the qualifiactions:

Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Telephone, organizational and client interface skills, attention to detail. 

If you are interested, private message me.  I added you as a friend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Northern, I don't know how to email you thru here anymore, but you can send me one via cape cod 38 at g mail

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

(There is no way to email people through BDC anymore)