Seeking venues to have a party (where we happen to get married).

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashes9872000. Show ashes9872000's posts

Seeking venues to have a party (where we happen to get married).

Hi - I've been reading for a few weeks but this my first post.  Found lots of great info here and hope I can contribute more as we get further into this planning process! 

So here's my situation: my fiance and want our wedding to be basically a huge party where all our friends and family can be there and celebrate with us.  We want very little of the traditional "wedding" type features that most venues would include in a wedding package - so there will be no cake, no announced entry of the wedding party, no champagne toast, etc.  Not that we have anything against traditional weddings or receptions...it's just not what feels right for us.

The problem is that we've had a pretty hard time finding a place that will fit the bill, so I'm hoping maybe someone here has some ideas to help get us going again!  Here's the criteria, in our best-case-scenario we are looking for a place that will:

Hold about 150 people
    Does not require specific caterers (or allows Redbones type catering)
    Lets us bring in food that isn't from a licensed caterer (e.g. desserts from friends/family)
    Ideally lets us purchase our own liquor (we'll hire a licensed bartender to serve but we'd like to buy in bulk to save if possible)
    Ideally has some outdoor space the group could spill out onto.
    Bonus if the space has a funky/unique aspect or vibe.
    Not north of Boston.  (We found a number of good spots there but it's just too hard for most of the guests to get there...we need SE Mass or Metro-west, or even RI or NE Connecticut).

We've had several people offer their homes/yards, but we're afraid to overwhelm them with the amount of people.  I know this is a lot...but if anyone has ANY leads we could follow that would be hugely helpful in our venue search!  Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Seeking venues to have a party (where we happen to get married).

Here are a two ideas, neither of which I have personal experience with:
    Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center
    Springstep

...I don't know if they would fit all your criteria, but I know they require outside caterers...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

I don't really have any suggestions for you, but I have to say it sounds like you're going to have one he11 of a wedding!  It sounds like it'll be laid back, easy, and nothing but fun!  My DH and I did a traditional wedding and had a great time, but I really love your ideas.  Good luck and keep us posted!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What's your budget?  High end spaces or American Legion?

Not sure I can help with either, but for those who can I'd think this might be helpful info.

Congratulations and enjoy!!  Glad you joined us. :)

~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

I mentioned this location in another post - http://www.themeetinghouse.info/

It's in Tiverton, RI. It's such a cute place and you can do a lot to make your day exactly as you please.

Another spot in that area is http://www.sakonnetwine.com/private_function.cfm. You have to use their wine but the rest of the alcohol and food is through caterers that you choose.

Good luck & congrats, sounds like a fun wedding!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

At first I was going to say that your task will be easier if you forego the trappings of a "traditional Wedding".  But you are going to have trouble with your wishes concerning the food and booze: liability.  Most venues will want to control both since it will be very difficult for them to avoid lliability should anything go wrong with food or liquor served on their pemises.  And if the venue is willing, you had better check your own liability coverage.  I know. I'm a wet blanket. Just saying you should consider it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from longlive80smusic. Show longlive80smusic's posts

Sounds like the East Bridgewater Commercial Club may work for you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mulli31. Show mulli31's posts

Check out the Gore Place in Waltham:

http://www.goreplace.org/rentals.htm

A friend of mine got married there years ago, they have a carriage house for restrooms that has electricity and sinks for caterers, but you can hold the wedding outside in a tent.  They brought in their own caterer, and bought alcohol in bulk and had a bartender serve it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Seeking venues to have a party (where we happen to get married).:
    [QUOTE]Here are a two ideas, neither of which I have personal experience with: Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center Springstep ...I don't know if they would fit all your criteria, but I know they require outside caterers...
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest these too.  Although, SpringStep does not have an outdoor space.

The only place West of Boston I have experience with that may work for you is the Holliston Historical Society.  I have been to a large birthday party and also a charity event.  I know it is very reasonable to rent and you get to bring in all your own vendors.  Also, I don't think Holliston requires you to buy a liquor permit in addition to the liquor liability insurance (which your caterer or waitstaff company will provide at cost to you). The grounds are beautiful and in addition to the house they have a barn that is used for weddings that has a full kitchen and restrooms.  Lots of options.  http://www.hollistonhistoricalsociety.org/

You'll find a place with everything you want, it will just take a little time and research.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

[QUOTE]Sounds like the East Bridgewater Commercial Club  may work for you.
    Posted by longlive80smusic[/QUOTE]

My DH and I looked into this place when we were planning our wedding.  The room is gorgeous and the price is right, but their function manager is horrible.  Totally unorganized, and he was very rude to me on the phone.  We probably would have booked the room if it weren't for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashes9872000. Show ashes9872000's posts

OK first of all - THANK YOU so much to everyone for responding so quickly and with so many great ideas!!  I was beginning to feel a little discouraged with the venue search but you've totally put me back on track! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to find here. Love these boards.  :)

I will definitely check out all of the leads on this thread.

easydoesit - no worries, I need to think about the reality of it too and to be prepared for all those issues.  That's part of what I was looking for, so I appreciate the input!

kargiver - thanks for the follow up question, we are looking for something kind of in the middle I think. Definitely not high end (e.g. Artists for Humanity is too expensive for just a space rental fee).  We want to spend a decent margin less than the average wedding budget if we can.   I wouldn't rule out an American Legion type place as long as the room was nice enough for us to do something with it - but most of the ones I've seen so far have been either dark & run down or too small. 

Thanks again for the great info and the encouragement.  If anyone thinks of other suggestions please don't hesitate...and I'll definitely keep you posted!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

hmm, well if you are broadening your search, you can check out the Milton Hoosic Club, but they restrict your choice of caterer.  I don't know how it works for alcohol.  Looks pretty in the pictures, though I don't know if that is your look.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

You might want to try the new Community Rowing building on the Charles River in Brighton, the Commander's Mansion in Watertown or one of the smaller rooms at the Cyclorama in the South End.  Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center was the first thing I thought of when I read your post but they now make you choose from a caterer on their list.  East Coast Grill is on their list but I would bet they are much more $ than Red Bones.  As an FYI for a large party for about the same price I think Blue Ribbon catering is much better than Red Bones in terms of communication and being on top of things on site.   Have used both for 300 person non-profit annual event and Blue Ribbon did a great job while Red Bones was just OK.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Ashes, if you do not mind sharing how much does Artists for Humanity charge for space rental?  Did you meet with the event staff?  What did you think? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

ashes, november has a good suggestion with the Commanders Mansion in Watertown. I go to Panera Bread right there all the time, and the mansion is beauitful. I would check it out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Arrowhead Acres
    http://www.arrowheadacres.com/weddings-banquets.htm
    Address

92 Aldrich Stret (Route98)
    Uxbridge, MA
    Phone (508) 278-5017
    Unique country function facility is able to handle groups of 50 to 1000. Weddings and family/company outings are our specialty. We also offer a Chapel In The Pines, with resident JP. Our packages include choice of facilities with Hayrides, Petting Farm, Swiming Pool, and Recreation areas, all located in a 73 acre Christmas Tree farm.

My mom had her wedding to my stepfather there. It was so much fun. They had a pig roast barbeque, and a bar. They were able to pick the vendor for both. It was extremely affordable and just a great party. I wish she'd hired a photographer so I could share photos, but it was very informal luau-themed wedding.
    It was beautiful and you have the option of the hayride, petting zoo or pool if you have any little ones to keep busy.

If you click the link you'll see what their typical wedding settings look like. My mom chose to have hers at the outdoor function facility instead, you can see that if you clikc ont he "outdoor functions" button on the arrowhead website.
    All prices are listed. You can use any vendor you choose as long as they are licensed and insured, although they do offer a list of recommended vendors as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashes9872000. Show ashes9872000's posts

jasmine we have looked at the Milton Hoosic and it's definitely on our short list, it's a great suggestion.  The place has the space and flow we wanted, including indoor/outdoor areas, and they are priced right and very flexible on customizing decor, lighting etc.  The coordinator seemed great.  The catering/alcohol restrictions are really the main reasons we didn't book them right away.  They're still in the running though.

I will definitely check out all these other leads that you've all provided, thanks again (including the tip on Blue Ribbon, I'll give them a look too). 

november - I did not look into Artists for Humanity personally, so I don't know the space first-hand.  I have a friend who looked into it, and I also saw them on brides.com - and both of those sources quoted the space rental fee (before catering, linens, alcohol, etc.) at starting at $5,000.  That is high for us so I never looked into their venue much further...although I have seen pictures of weddings that were done there and the space looked AMAZING. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

In Response to Re: Seeking venues to have a party (where we happen to get married).:
    [QUOTE]Arrowhead Acres http://www.arrowheadacres.com/weddings-banquets.htm Address   92 Aldrich Stret (Route98) Uxbridge, MA 01569 Phone (508) 278-5017 Unique country function facility is able to handle groups of 50 to 1000. Weddings and family/company outings are our specialty. We also offer a Chapel In The Pines, with resident JP. Our packages include choice of facilities with Hayrides, Petting Farm, Swiming Pool, and Recreation areas, all located in a 73 acre Christmas Tree farm. My mom had her wedding to my stepfather there. It was so much fun. They had a pig roast barbeque, and a bar. They were able to pick the vendor for both. It was extremely affordable and just a great party. I wish she'd hired a photographer so I could share photos, but it was very informal luau-themed wedding. It was beautiful and you have the option of the hayride, petting zoo or pool if you have any little ones to keep busy. If you click the link you'll see what their typical wedding settings look like. My mom chose to have hers at the outdoor function facility instead, you can see that if you clikc ont he "outdoor functions" button on the arrowhead website. All prices are listed. You can use any vendor you choose as long as they are licensed and insured, although they do offer a list of recommended vendors as well.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

This is at the top of my list of venues, when the time comes.  My BF has his heart set on Firefly's for catering, which is fine for me, and I love the beautiful but laid back feel to it.  I also love the idea of the bonfire to end the night!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Rap, I have a list saved on my computer for venues I want to look at when I get engaged, is that sad? Do you have one too?

Reception Sites 

Wayside Inn- Sudbury

Cambridge Marriott- Cambridge

Newton Marriott- Newton

Warren Conference Center- Ashland

Milton Hoosic Club

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

[QUOTE]Rap, I have a list saved on my computer for venues I want to look at when I get engaged, is that sad? Do you have one too? Reception Sites   Wayside Inn- Sudbury Cambridge Marriott- Cambridge Newton Marriott- Newton Warren Conference Center- Ashland Milton Hoosic Club  
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

That's totally fair, Peonie. :)  We blocked rooms at the Cambridge Marriott and they were great to work with.  I LOVED the suite they upgraded my husband and I to for our wedding night.  Gorgeous views of Boston!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Rap, I have a list saved on my computer for venues I want to look at when I get engaged, is that sad? Do you have one too? Reception Sites   Wayside Inn- Sudbury Cambridge Marriott- Cambridge Newton Marriott- Newton Warren Conference Center- Ashland Milton Hoosic Club  
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Peonie - I did the same thing! Have you been to all these places? I LOVED the idea of the Wayside Inn before getting engaged and then when we went to visit, I had an entirely different opinion. I was a little sad that it was so much different than I imagined.

It is so much fun looking at reception sites so don't do too much to take away from the experience of when you are engaged and looking together :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Well, I LOVE the Martha Mary Chapel. I am Catholic, my boyfriend is Protestant, and my brother got married there. I also know we won't have more than 140 ppl at our wedding. I like the idea of the tent option at the Wayside. So we will see! But I threw in some hotels on the list, just to see other options. I LOVE The Warren Conference Center, but it may be a little to far away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Well, I LOVE the Martha Mary Chapel. I am Catholic, my boyfriend is Protestant, and my brother got married there. I also know we won't have more than 140 ppl at our wedding. I like the idea of the tent option at the Wayside. So we will see! But I threw in some hotels on the list, just to see other options. I LOVE The Warren Conference Center, but it may be a little to far away.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, the chapel is SO cute. And that would be really nice to get married in the same place as your brother. A tent wedding would be the way to go there. We are getting married in the spring so we didn't even consider that and it seemed too hectic and claustrophobic inside.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Have you picked a venue yet? The inside of the Inn is smaller, so I understand why it wouldn't work for some people. Maybe it's more the chapel that I am in love with.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

[QUOTE]Have you picked a venue yet? The inside of the Inn is smaller, so I understand why it wouldn't work for some people. Maybe it's more the chapel that I am in love with.
    Posted by Peonie[/QUOTE]

The garden area is pretty and grounds in general are beautiful!

We are 95% certain where we're going to have it. We are going back on Saturday to go over details and make sure it's what we want. Can't mention names because I don't want to jinx anything!