So Overwhelmed with venue locations!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Re: So Overwhelmed with venue locations!

Just so you know, Omni Parker House starts at $185 a plate and that is just for chicken!!

I know you think it is stuffy, but it is really gorgeous. Oh and the Commander is lovely, too. The ballroom is awesome. It has a really cool stage with large drapery. I know they have packages ranging from $75-$150ish a plate, and Harvard Sq. is such a cool location to have a wedding!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

In Response to Re: So Overwhelmed with venue locations!:
    [QUOTE]Just so you know, Omni Parker House starts at $185 a plate and that is just for chicken!! I know you think it is stuffy, but it is really gorgeous. Oh and the Commander is lovely, too. The ballroom is awesome. It has a really cool stage with large drapery. I know they have packages ranging from $75-$150ish a plate, and Harvard Sq. is such a cool location to have a wedding!
    Posted by Elmgirl82[/QUOTE]

So funny you are talking about the Omni, my friend emailed them for pricing and they emailed her their packages, and she got $205pp!! She almost died. But she got a good deal with The Long Wharf Marriott right next to the Aquarium for her August 2011 wedding, so she is booking with them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Someone mentioned the Ritz Carlton saying it wasn't "too" pricey. I got off their website that you will pay anywhere from $230-$325 per person for a wedding. To me, that is pretty darn pricey!

Based on our current banquet menus, you may expect to spend on average, $135.00-$200.00 per person for lunch and $235.00-$325.00 per person for dinner, both of which are exclusive of service charge and sales tax. These averages include hors d’oeuvres for your welcome reception, three-course plated meal, wedding cake, wine service with the meal, champagne toast and an open, hosted bar for the entire event, based on a moderately drinking group. Please be aware that our menu items and pricing are subject to change and are guaranteed 90 days in advance. Your final menu pricing will be based on your actual selections. -From the website....

Yes, it does include A LOT, but still $235x200=$47,000 and $325x200=$65,000

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wedin2010. Show Wedin2010's posts

Hi,

One thing about the Omni--the price you're getting per plate includes an open bar for the entire time, and also the 18 percent service charge stuff is included in that price as well. I actually worked it out on a spreadsheet that included the Seaport (which was way more expensive with the bar worked in) and even some venues on the North Shore where we'd do a tented reception (for which I added in some lighting/decor costs to make it all shake out evenly)...and the Omni was as reasonable as anywhere else.

This is just a good reminder to remember to ask (several times) exactly what a package price means. (The omni was the only place I saw with an open bar added in. A lot of places would be like $100 for the dinner and then $35 for open bar and then add the 18 percent...you get the drift.) Which may or may not be ideal--if you're looking to cut expenses by not having a FULL open bar, for example, then the Omni would not be the place for you.

Hope that helps!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I just looked at The Lenox Hotel, although it only holds about 130 people, the prices are incredible for a downtown, luxurious hotel!

Wedin, totally understand, we are paying $37pp for our open bar, which doesn't seem like a lot but it adds about $4,400 to our cost. Undecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

In response to Lizinboston about the Ritz....they have a package for the summer months which is $165/person.  This includes everything, including open bar.  No rental fees and a $20,000 minimum for a Saturday night.  For the atmosphere, quality of service, location, etc. that is not a bad deal!!!!  I didn't find anything close to that quality in downtown Boston for the price. 

I was not into an old school traditional Boston hotel so my options downtown were limited.  Windowless ballroom....no thanks!!!  The Ritz delivers with a very modern, well docorated space.  Plus, you would get Ritz, 5 star quality service.  Without a doubt, we could have had our wedding here for less than at the State Room. 

Ultimately we opted for a wedding in Newport but we would have put the Ritz towards the top of our list had we decided on downtown Boston.  The event planner that I met with was great.  She told me that her ultimate goal is to make your wedding the best wedding your guests have ever been to!

If anyone is interested, I would be more than happy to send their pricing information. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

I just went back and looked at the Info that I received from the Lenox.  The price of the chicken meal in their lowest package option is $115 and premium open bar is $57/person....right there you are at $172/person.  Higher than the Ritz. 

Our premium open bar in Newport, including Grey Goose and all other top shelf liquor is  $45/person. 

Now that I look at it, I'm surprised how expensive the Lenox is.  My parents have stayed during all of their visits to Boston over the past 10 years I have lived here and it is definitely a nice hotel but it is not close to 5 stars.  Great location for sure though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyc521. Show nyc521's posts

Thanks Summer - would love any information about the Ritz that you have (I just emailed them as well).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

NYC - the woman I talked to and met with there was Pamela.  They will probably send you the same information they sent me.  Let me know what your email address is though if you don't hear from them quickly and I can send you what I have. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I think you mentioned the Intercontinental Hotel in your original post - it's beautiful, but so completely outrageously expensive, it's not even worth looking at. Same with the State Room - their baseline package seemed OK, but it seemed like their price just kept rising with everything. I didn't look at the Boston Harbor Hotel, because a few close friends got/are getting married there, but it's really a beautiful space, and from what I hear, not as outrageous as you might expect.

I agree that the Omni Parker House (the rooftop ballroom) is beautiful. Also, the Hilton at the airport (although not the best location) had a really amazing package. I saw a wedding set up there, and it was honestly one of the most gorgeous weddings I've seen, despite the lack of windows in the ballroom. The Seaport is also great. I've heard their staff is really great to work with. The rooms at the Lenox are SO expensive (I looked into blocking rooms there for our wedding at the Colonnade) but the big room is gorgeous, although no windows again. The Colonnade is windowless too, except for the rooftop pool (which we're not using), or else I'd recommend that too. They just got a new event coordinator, and it seems like they're really pushing for new business.

The Charles Hotel has a ballroom, but it's nothing special, except for the location right in Harvard Square. The Sheraton Commander is close to Harvard Square, but isn't right in the square (about a 5-10 min walk), and honestly doesn't really stand out as something different or exciting. They do have parking though!

The Top of the Hub rents out space for weddings, although I don't know the capacity or price - could be fun! Also, is the exchange center the one catered by Legal Seafoods? Delicious!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I had my wedding at the New England Aquarium which is right next to the Long Wharf. Most of the guests stayed at the Long Wharf and it was very nice.
    The Aquarium can hold weddings of 200 either in the main exhibit hall or they also do a tent out on the pier. Beautiful ocean view. $2,000 to rent the space. You do have to use their caterer Wolfgang Puck, but the minimum for a Saturday night is $60pp, or at least that's what it was for May '07. The food was excellent.
    Definately not your average hotel space, and the guests are never bored.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Revisiting an earlier suggestion, you may be able to do this at the Harvard Club.  I'm getting married at the Back Bay Harvard Club this January and I think it's the pefect venue for a winter wedding (it has two working fireplaces).  You don't need to have sponsorship.  You just have to pay a fee to join for a year.  It definitely holds 200 people.  Price-wise it may be a bit tight if you want a band and have other high costs but if you keep other costs low, it may just work. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

gonzo, i'm so pleased to hear that people can swing the harvard club without being members.  (i work at harvard but, well, that doesn't count for much, it seems.)  we'll definitely look into it.

we're thinking of doing our wedding next jan--did you find that things were less expensive given the winter factor?  (i REALLY hope so!)

thanks everyone for your input!

also--OT freakout moment--while he's saying, "oh i don't want to wait till next jan, what a long engagement," i'm having palpitations over how far in advance things book up.  eeeeeeeeee this stuff is stressful (but really fun of course).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

nibsfeld--I don't know what your job is at Harvard (obviously) but if you are considered an "officer" of the university, or if you could get someone who is an officer to sponsor you, then you should also look into the Harvard Faculty Club, in Harvard Square.  I got married there.  It's a beautiful venue and we found the pricing to be better than the Harvard Club locations.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

thanks for the suggestion, jasmine--i'd definitely be interested in the harvard faculty club but i think it's too small for us.  (200 person guest list!  how did *that* happen?)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

haha--yeah sorry.  I think it probably is too small.  I think they can go up to like 150-170 or something, but I'm not entirely certain of the cap.  And they can't do a ceremony for more than 120 or so.  It could be worth emailing for the exact number, especially if you don't have your heart set on a on-site ceremony.  But I think you are right, 200 is too big.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Winter weddings are far less expensive and things book far less in advance.  For example, I still haven't had my first fitting for my dress and called all nervous the other day (been out of town at work so couldn't go).  They said they really only need 1 month in winter because they aren't busy.  Definitely ask for discounts but most offer them from the get-go.  I'm all for the winter wedding (if you can get past everyone asking if you're worried about snow).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesskl. Show jesskl's posts

If you are considering the Intercontinental for 200 people, then you should DEF look at Royal Sonesta. I looked at both and found the Intercontinental to be WAY more expensive. I'm having a similar size wedding. I ended up choosing The Langham Hotel though....partly because Intercontinental was too expensive...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

If you're willing to buy a dress off the rack, planning your wedding will only take as long as you want it to.  You can order flowers, cake, and DJ in a day or two.  Invitations, another day or two. 

For me, it was 6 months from the day I booked the venue to the wedding date, and I had plenty of time and then some.  I can't imagine waiting longer unless you need to save up.

Best wishes! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

I agree with Cosmo.  Our engagement will be almost a year but only due to the fact that we wanted a summer wedding and we got engaged in the summer.  I have had most of our vendors booked for some time now and I could have done it faster if I had needed to.  I work at least 50 hours a week too so its not like I sit around all day with nothign to do. 

I never understand when I hear people claim they NEED more than a year to plan a wedding. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYEBride2010. Show NYEBride2010's posts

In Response to So Overwhelmed with venue locations!:
    [QUOTE]Hello all - finding this forum has been so helpful.  My fiance and I are recently engaged, and although we live in Manhattan, we are looking to get married in Boston (where I'm from).  Since I'm not local, most of the searching I've been doing has been online - it's really overwhelming, there are a lot of choices.  Our wedding will be 200 guests, and most of those people will be from out of town, so we are looking mainly at hotels (although we are open to others).  Since we are hosting a lot of people not familiar with Boston, I want to be in a fun area of town so I'm thinking waterfront, back bay or Cambridge.  I can't blow a huge budget (Boston Harbor is too pricey), but we do want someplace nice and not your average ballroom.  Currently I'm considering the Intercontinental, Hyatt Cambridge, State Room and Renaissance.  Any others that I'm missing?  Thoughts on above?  Thank you thank you all!!
    Posted by nyc521[/QUOTE]

Hi NYC:

I don't know about room size but I looked at the Hilton in Back Bay and it was about $99 a plate which I thought was really reasonable for Boston. Looks like you have gotten some great suggestions!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from engagedkat. Show engagedkat's posts

I got married at the Seaport 2 months ago. It was awesome, but more than 30k. 

Call the Ritz Carlton Boston Common. They were running a package special and honeymoon included (I'm guessing they were drumming up business)...I was hellbent on outdoor space so it didn't work for me (although now that the wedding is over, I couldn't have cared less about outdoor space that night)...Other than that, it was an amazing deal and it would have been under
    30k for our 180 people.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyc521. Show nyc521's posts

Hi all - thanks, we had a good weekend of seeing a bunch of places.  For those who asked, yes the Ritz has a great package of $165 including food and open bar for five hour reception - although once you add in gratuity, admin and tax, we are at the same minimum as the State Room (due to the large size of my wedding).  We were really blown away by the State Room this weekend - nothing else came close in our eyes.  Since we are looking at Friday nights, the minimum is much lower (although not within my $30k dream...but not too far up from that).  So now we just need to do some serious number crunching to see what we can afford! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyc521. Show nyc521's posts

oh - also, we are looking for June which is only 7 months out, and we have found that nearly every place we've looked at still has Saturday evenings open, so don't let venues scare you - a shorter engagement is definitely possible! 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A couple of years ago, 7 months away for a Boston wedding in the price range you're looking to spend would have been too short.  With the economy the way it is I'm sure they aren't booking up as fast.