So Overwhelmed with venue locations!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: So Overwhelmed with venue locations!

Hi NYC521,

I'm glad you love the State Room, but just a word of caution.  I feel like I have seen a lot of brides having issues with working with them.  I can't remember if it was here or on the Knot's Boston board.  Before you book with them, you might want to start a post asking for other bride's experiences with them.  Not saying you shoudln't book them if you love them, but just so you know ahead of time just in case!

Good luck!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyc521. Show nyc521's posts

In Response to Re: So Overwhelmed with venue locations!:
    [QUOTE]I am having my wedding at Belle Mer which is owned by the same company as the State Room (Longwood Events) and I did look at the State Room. 

Hi Summer - I see you are going with a Longwood property for your wedding, how are you finding the process so far? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

trex, it was both boards.  I've heard nothing but trouble about the State Room.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

I've heard so many bad things about Longwoods Events, that I would be scared of booking with them, just my 2 cents. Don't know about Belle Mer, but I have heard not-so-good things about The State Room. My friend had her wedding there, and after the amount of money she spent, she was floored at the service she did not receive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Summer2010. Show Summer2010's posts

I have had no issues with Belle Mer.  They have been great so far.  I made sure that every concern of mine was covered in my contract.  I think that many of the problems come from this place when people don't read the contract and/or ask the right questions.  If I felt something was vague I made sure it was addressed in the contract. 

I was nervous about menu costs since they don't have set menus.  I was afraid to wait until 30 days before the wedding to get pricing for my menu because what happens if their prices have gone up 30%?  So, I put together a tentative menu and they included a maximum price that menu could be at the time of my wedding.  This menu is included as a schedule to my contract and it gave me a lot of comfort knowing that i had that to fall back on.  The menu I put together had three entree choices, including filet, passed hors d'oeuvres, a food station during cocktail hour, a salad and my cake for a price of $111/person today and a max of $120 at the time of my wedding.  Open bar is $45/person.

Defintely try and negotiate with them on the room rental fee.  I was only able to get $1,000 off but my date is a holiday weekend so there wasn't as much wiggle room but hey, $1000 is something. 

Know that if you book a vendor through them and it counts towards your minimum, they will mark up the price by 30%.  They will do all the work, pay the deposits, feed the vendor, tip the vendor, etc. but it is something to keep in mind.  Ask them to waive several vendor fees or to knock it down to $250.  Mine is $250 and I got one vendor fee waived. 

I have heard nothing but positive reviews about the actual "day of" the wedding.  I know that some people have some problems with the coordinators leading up to the event though.  I guess it depends what your personality type is.  I'm not a bridezilla nor do I require handholding.  They have been there when I have had questions and it is very obvious they are want to please their clients. 

let me know if you have any other questions!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Moneypenny424. Show Moneypenny424's posts

In Response to Re: So Overwhelmed with venue locations!:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone!  This is such a helpful thread to me--I'm also planning a 200-person-ish wedding in the downtown area.  We've just gotten started and whoa is this process overwhelming! Any experiences with the Boston Public Library (gorgeous! http://bpl.org/central/eventspaces.htm ), the Artists for Humanity Epicenter ( http://www.afhboston.com/afh_venue.html ), the House of Blues, or the Renaissance Waterfront? We're aiming for a Saturday night in January 2011 and hoping that the January factor might help lower our costs, but I'm a little in shock over how much $$$ we're going to be shelling out for this.
    Posted by nibsfeld[/QUOTE]

Hi Nibbs, we got married at BPL in Sept. 2008.  You can see our wedding in this issue of Boston Weddings :).  BPLs absolutely amazing and we had a wonderful experience there!  BPL is very, very expensive.  To get access to most of the library (Bates Hall, the galleries, Abbey Room, etc.) it is $22,500.  I know some of the other rooms are a bit less expensive (like the modern reading room), but I don't think any will be under $15,000.  That's just for the venue, doesn't include any food or anything.  If you can swing it, it is just a wonderful place to get married!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from engagedkat. Show engagedkat's posts

To all the ritz people:

Don't forget to talk to the Ritz about the complimentary 5 night honeymoon...they'd been selling it as only if you booked a 'full price' wedding, but when it came down to it and we were really interested but weren't quite sure, they gave us the honeymoon too...can't beat that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

thanks, moneypenny, for the BPL info--and congratulations on your breathtaking wedding!  stunning, all of it.