Sunday Brunch reception

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

Sunday Brunch reception

Has anyone had or been to a Sunday Brunch style wedding? This is what we really want to do. We are also planning for it to be small (about 50 - 75 people) and probably shorter than most weddings (no dancing!). From looking at websites, I can't really seem to find any places that mention this type of event. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on venues to look into or generally any other ideas. We would prefer to have the ceremony on site and are open to pretty much any location in New England.

Thanks for any input!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Sunday Brunch reception

Hi CherryWebb, my Aunt got married last Sept at The Newton Marriott on Saturday. Her reception was from 10-1. It was a brunch style. Very good food. They had breakfast AND lunch, even had a carving station! I think she had about 60 people there.

Also, I think A LOT of country clubs will do this for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Check out the Lyceum in Salem, MA.  I had my reception there and it was great. They do a fantastic job w/ buffets.  I know they have a Sunday brunch option.  Their prices are really good too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Brunch reception:
    Hi CherryWebb, my Aunt got married last Sept at The Newton Marriott on Saturday. Her reception was from 10-1. It was a brunch style. Very good food. They had breakfast AND lunch, even had a carving station! I think she had about 60 people there. Also, I think A LOT of country clubs will do this for you.
    Posted by Peonie

I have my reception planned for the NM right now...probably changing that soon, BUT it is a nice space. The only thing is that the ballroom is huge, so you would have to have dividers for a brunch for that size.

Peonie is right, country clubs do have brunch options, I would assume.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

Thanks for the ideas! The Lyceum looks nice but unfortunately not handicapped accessible. Guess that is a requirement to add to the list.

Will definitely look into the NM - Sept, why are you thinking of changing the reception location??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Cherry, please don't worry. We are not thinking about changing it because of any issues with them. They have been great to work with. Their food is really good, I have eaten at their restuarant a few times and have never had a bad meal there. The rooms where they hold weddings are very nice, and there is actually outdoor space.

I just found a place (a mansion) that more fits my style. It has nothing to do anything bad that happened with the NM!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Oops, forgot to mention that. They have a narrow flight of about a dozen stairs to get upstairs, so it won't work for wheel chairs.

The Hawthorne Hotel right down the street also does brunch.  I am sure there are plenty of restaurants who can accommodate your group.  They will probably be a more cost effective option than a country club or other standard wedding venue. 

We had our RD at Victoria Station in Salem.  We had a private room and patio overlooking the water.  We had about 45 people attend.  If you check out their menus, they do have a brunch option.  It was really nice and our guests loved it. I thought they were super affordable.  There are other restaurants in that same area if you don't like Victoria Station. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

P.S. the packages include a florist that provide centerpieces at no extra cost, depending on the package you get!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

I am just throwing this out there...Apple Hill Farm just recently opened and started advertising. Not sure if you want to come out to Leominster, MA, but it's a nice location and they do Sunday Bruch.

http://www.applehillcc.com/Breakfast.aspx

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I haven't been to one, but for whatever it's worth, I think it's a lovely idea!  I enjoy brunch and that time of the day very much.  I'm at my happiest then, I think.  I'm really not a night person, and while I go out and enjoy myself at evening events, I start getting tired around 9...so does DH. 

And, guests can spend the afternoon visiting/sight seeing in small groups afterwards (if they are from OOT) or drive home and not be too late if they are fairly local.

One other thing - you won't be totally exhausted on your wedding night!!! Embarassed Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

Thanks again! I think there are a lot of places to look into. SO time consuming!! I really love the Apple Hill Farm idea and I know he will like how Victoria Station is by the water... we'll see :)

Kargiver - so funny! Neither of us is really a big partier so this style really suits our personalities better. Plus many of our closest friends have or will have babies so I suspect this will be easier for them too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I haven't been to one, but for whatever it's worth, I think it's a lovely idea!  I enjoy brunch and that time of the day very much.  I'm at my happiest then, I think.  I'm really not a night person, and while I go out and enjoy myself at evening events, I start getting tired around 9...so does DH.  And, guests can spend the afternoon visiting/sight seeing in small groups afterwards (if they are from OOT) or drive home and not be too late if they are fairly local. One other thing - you won't be totally exhausted on your wedding night!!!
    Posted by kargiver

LOL. This is what TTC does to someone, it's all she has on her mind!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Brunch reception : LOL. This is what TTC does to someone, it's all she has on her mind!!!!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

Haha well it seems she really thinks things through!!! Kargiver, want to plan my wedding for me??? Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

What about Upstairs on the Square in Harvard square? Might be a bit pricey, but the atmosphere is just so fantastic! I heard they have a great brunch too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I looked into this for friends of mine...some places that had specific brunch menus were
    Publick House in Sturbridge
    Lenzi's (Mill House) in Dracut

Good luck a brunch reception would be fun good luck with your planning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

The Publick House is amazing. My brother has his reception there in 2007...very old New England feel. Although he had a Saturday night wedding with 150 people.
    But his wife found out about it because my other brother's wife had her baby shower (brunch style) there and when she went to that, she fell in love. So I have been to a brunch there. The food is good and the setting is beautiful!

Wendy didn't I suggest that to you??? :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

The Publick House is amazing. My brother has his reception there in 2007...very old New England feel. Although he had a Saturday night wedding with 150 people. But his wife found out about it because my other brother's wife had her baby shower (brunch style) there and when she went to that, she fell in love. So I have been to a brunch there. The food is good and the setting is beautiful! Wendy didn't I suggest that to you??? :)
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

I believe you did when I was putting the list together for my friends to check out.  I am a wanna be wedding planner :)  So I just help our friends when they freak out and don't know where to start.  I was stuck with the brunch idea because it had never occured to me, which is why I asked for suggestions here. :)  I figured I would pass on some of the stuff I learned.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm starting to look into them but it's slow going.
    Have any of you been to weddings at the Governors Inn in Rochester, NH? They also have a package that would work for us but I want to make sure it's worth the drive to check it out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Sunday Brunch reception : I believe you did when I was putting the list together for my friends to check out.  I am a wanna be wedding planner :)  So I just help our friends when they freak out and don't know where to start.  I was stuck with the brunch idea because it had never occured to me, which is why I asked for suggestions here. :)  I figured I would pass on some of the stuff I learned.
    Posted by wendy98

Well, I am glad you liked my suggestion! :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You girls are hillarious!  TTC really DOES make it all that's on your mind. ;)  No more wedding planning for me, though, I don't even like planning a BBQ!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm starting to look into them but it's slow going. Have any of you been to weddings at the Governors Inn in Rochester, NH? They also have a package that would work for us but I want to make sure it's worth the drive to check it out.
    Posted by cherrywebb

I lived north of Rochester one summer for work, and went to the Governor's Inn twice for Sunday concerts and once to eat.  The restaurant was in sad shape, just worn looking.  This year I have seen ads everywhere- new restaurant, common spaces and restaurant completely done over.  So that concern is gone.
    Concerts in the garden were in a beautiful setting.  Not fancy formal gardens like Newport, but a very wide path into a small meadow, flowers and flowering bushes.  What they call a sylvan setting.  Nice place for pictures.   One concert was starting with far more people than usual when a Thunderstorm was blowing in so since it was a 2 instrument folk group, they had no equipment to relocate  and moved us into the ballroom.  Very nice. 
         I would say it is worth the drive, and Wakefield Street is easy to find for guests.  1 spot of traffic as you enter the small 1 way circle in the center is all there ever is in Rochester .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

In Response to Sunday Brunch reception:
    Has anyone had or been to a Sunday Brunch style wedding? This is what we really want to do. We are also planning for it to be small (about 50 - 75 people) and probably shorter than most weddings (no dancing!). From looking at websites, I can't really seem to find any places that mention this type of event. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on venues to look into or generally any other ideas. We would prefer to have the ceremony on site and are open to pretty much any location in New England. Thanks for any input!!
    Posted by cherrywebb

My parents just went to a Sunday brunch wedding for a second wedding at the Harvard Club and they were very impressed.  They like it so much that they are now "pestering" us to allow them to throw us a morning after our wedding brunch there. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Sunday Brunch reception : My parents just went to a Sunday brunch wedding for a second wedding at the Harvard Club and they were very impressed.  They like it so much that they are now "pestering" us to allow them to throw us a morning after our wedding brunch there. 
    Posted by november2009

That's a nice problem to have, nov! ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I seriously considered having a Sunday afternoon wedding. Ceremony at 11 and then reception from 1-6. And having lunch for the meal. Reason I was considering this is because my parent's are older (mom is 65, dad is 68) and a majority of the people who are going to be there are going to be in their 50's and 60's, even FI's parent's friends and family, most people are in their 50's and 60's, so I thought many people would love to go to a wedding like this. But FI wanted nothing to do with it. Oh well.

Really, we are only having about 25-30 people under the age of 30 at our wedding, I think!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Sunday Brunch reception : My parents just went to a Sunday brunch wedding for a second wedding at the Harvard Club and they were very impressed.  They like it so much that they are now "pestering" us to allow them to throw us a morning after our wedding brunch there. 
    Posted by november2009

November, I would let them!

Sections
Shortcuts