Super cheap wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicjah. Show magicjah's posts

Super cheap wedding?

I know this is probably completely impossible, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.  I am planning a wedding this coming fall/winter for 80 guests.  Do you think it is possible to do the wedding for less than $10,000?  Like, maybe for $8000?

Keep in mind, I already booked the photographer for $2000.  I refused to scrimp on that aspect.  So, with the photog included in that price range I just gave, is it possible?

What venues would you recommend?  Caterers?

I've searched so many venues, and I'm having trouble keeping the cost under $12,000.  Even with farm venues, you have to also add in the cost of renting linens, napkins, plates, etc., which all ends up adding up to a lot!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Re: Super cheap wedding?

magic, under vendors, some girl reviwed her wedding and how she spent about $8,000 on it...you should check it out. It was pretty recent, I think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Two words: Henderson House.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I 100% think it is possible for you to do it for around 10k if you get creative.  I would look into restaurants that have function rooms.  In what area are you hoping to have the reception?  Boston?  South/North Shore?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronrsr14. Show ronrsr14's posts

check out Garden in the Woods, in Framingham - we're only paying $600 or $700 for a lovely venue, out in the woods.  Might be too small for you, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicjah. Show magicjah's posts

I am hoping for north shore/ merrimack valley.  I'd even be open to southern NH.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

In Response to Re: Super cheap wedding?:
    Two words: Henderson House.
    Posted by Reader001

I second that!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I can't give any suggestions re venues etc - but all I will say is do as much stuff yourself as you possibly can - use friends/family with any skills that are useful. It can save you heap!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Check out the Lyceum in Salem.  We had our reception there and it was great. The food is really good and it's very affordable too.  Unfortunately, it's not handicap accessible.  HTH!

ETA: we got really carried away w/ food and hors d'oeuvres and an open bar, but it still came in under $9K.  You could totally do it for the price you posted in your OP. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

I got married at the Sheraton Harborside in Portsmouth, NH. 
    There is no ballroom rental fee as long as you hit a certain amount - I think it was $4,000 for a Saturday in June.   If they haven't changed things too much since 2007 - you could totally do a wedding there within your budget! 

http://www.sheratonportsmouth.com

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I agree with Jessica about going to NH.  If you are able to have a wedding up there, the prices for vendors and venues is a lot less expensive - at least that's what I've found. 
    Also, it's beautiful in the fall! 

Overall, I do think it's possible (just don't tell my fiance I said that!!  LOL)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quin1. Show Quin1's posts

How about Groveland Fairways... I think they are pretty inexpensive.  Or the Pheonix Room in Newburyport.... not sure what their venue prices are but think they are reasonable and I think you can bring in your own alcohol which saves money.  There's always the country clubs.... Haverhill, Georgetown, Ipswich, I'm pretty sure you can do a 10k wedding at any of these.  Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cherrywebb. Show cherrywebb's posts

I think you can definitely do it. My friends had a very nice wedding with about 125 guests on a Saturday night and a honeymoon to Europe for under $9,000. They did a few things themselves but got a good deal on the photographer. I think that if you really make a point to do more on your own and don't go crazy on the dress, decorations, etc. it'll make up for the $2,000 photographer.

Sorry, I don't really have any recommendations for the North Shore but we are looking into the Governors Inn in Rochester, NH. For what we want, we can probably keep the reception between $4,000 and $5,000. We haven't visited it yet but the pictures are lovely.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

Hey Magicjah, I live in RI and my wedding is 2 years off but I'm in the same "budget boat" as you in fact 10 grand is our entire wedding and honeymoon budget. I don't have advice on any venue's but when it comes to cutting corners on everything else, I 've got some ideas. Like your cake see if there is a recent graduate from J&W that can make it for you. (my friends and I used to do this for extra cash while in school, if you don't choose a very intricate design any second year student should be able to handle it) they could probably do cookie favors that go with theme of your wedding to, for 2/3's less then going to a big bakery. Or if you don't feel comfortable doing that, have them make a dummy cake and get a sheet cake from a bakery, the top teir of your dummy can be real for the cutting ceremony and your guests will get the sheet cake in the back, we did it for my sisters wedding no one new the difference. Do your invitations yourself you can buy bulk online or wait for micheals or ac moore to have a sale, and just run them through your computer, unless someone going to your wedding is a calligrapher no one will be able to tell. For your flowers instead of doing just one kind of flower like orchids or calla lilly's ask your florist whats in season and combine the buquets with a mix of blooms. Or just use the more expensive one's in your buquet and give your bridesmaids more of the seasonal one's. You can buy in bulk online to or even from a local grocery store (sounds weird but I hear BJ's can do them in bulk and there of good quality) and have a friend or family member put them together in vases for your center pieces. Sorry this is so long I just got really pumped up with all the ideas I have on the back burner for my own wedding...And 3 cups of coffee at a slow day of work isn't helping either. Sorry

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Mosely Woods (Pine) Pavillion in Newburyport for the ceremony (outside on the river wth a roof decent parking) Cost us $45 to rent for three hours..got the recommendation on this board...it's really beautiful.

Then went to Mission Oak Grill Restaurant Newburyport and rented top floor did lunch on a Sunday about $25/pp and had a limited open bar - beer wine and a signature cocktail.

It all can be done!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

As an engagement present a friend who was recently married gave me the book "Bridal Bargains!" and I have found it to be really helpful with cost cutting ideas. http://www.windsorpeak.com/bridalbargains/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmirag. Show elmirag's posts

I second the thoughts on New Hampshire- no sales tax versus our sales tax which is about to be 6.25%- that adds up!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I second the thoughts on New Hampshire- no sales tax versus our sales tax which is about to be 6.25%- that adds up!
    Posted by elmirag

Hey elmira - I gotta ask how'd you pick your screen name?  Did you go to Elmira???

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

Posted by elmirag

Meals tax in NH just went up to 9%.  Considering the reception is the biggest expense (and taxed in both states), the extra 2.75% tax could be considerable. 

Not to say that other things, like your dress, wouldn't be cheaper in NH, but the tax difference might make a MA reception more appealing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hefiner. Show hefiner's posts

Have you looked or tried Lake Pearl Luciano's?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carey906. Show Carey906's posts

try Salem waterfront Hotel, it is a bit outside of Boston, but their packages are really good. For around 45 to 50pp with everything included. (1 hr cocktail reception with passed and stationary hors d'oeuvres, four course dinner, cake cutting fees, etc).  We are using them as our rehearsal dinner site, and just went with the wedding package they had sans cake.

good luck!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

I wonder what the Hawthorne Hotel's prices are like? The ballroom is beautiful!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Yes, that ballroom is gorgeous! I have been to a wedding there!

Sections
Shortcuts